Windows 10: Fresh Install or Reset PC?

Discus and support Fresh Install or Reset PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When you select Recovery option the Reset PC it gives the option to 'Remove Everything' so Is a Fresh Install the same as using the Reset Pc function?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gbu, Oct 12, 2018.

1. GBU
    gbu Win User

Fresh Install or Reset PC?

When you select Recovery option the Reset PC it gives the option to 'Remove Everything' so Is a Fresh Install the same as using the Reset Pc function?
    There is also an Advanced startup option.

I want to start completely fresh and do a clean install but really not sure which option i should use.

:)

2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Unable to reset the pc

Hello,

If you are having that message while trying to reset your computer, We suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using Media
    Creation Tool
    and perform a Reset.

Once the installation media is created, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select
      Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
    • After the reset is complete, check for status.

Give us an update on what happens.

Anthony Cato, Oct 12, 2018
  4. Fresh Install or Reset PC?

Windows is not activated following "reset this pc"

Thank you @NavyLCDR, I tried your suggestions but still have the same issue.
    @Superfly, My main issue is the fact that sppsvc.exe won't start and throws the Error 5 (Access Denied). I tried changing permissions, taking ownership etc. but still have the same issue.

I guess my next step is another restore :-(. I assume you mean a fresh install because the original issue was caused after I clicked "Reset this PC" option in system settings?

the5krunner, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

Fresh Install or Reset PC?

1. Fresh Install or Reset PC? - Similar Threads - Fresh Install Reset

2. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  3. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  4. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start: My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help...
  5. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start: My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help...
  6. Can't reset Win 10 PC... even after fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reset Win 10 PC... even after fresh install: I am selling my Win 10 PC and need to reset it and delete files. I continue to get the 'There was a problem when resetting your PC. No changes were made. I did all the DISM health restore stuff and retried. Didn't work. I did a clean install of Win 10 which took hours, again...
  7. Can't reset Win 10 PC... even after fresh install

Can't reset Win 10 PC... even after fresh install: I am selling my Win 10 PC and need to reset it and delete files. I continue to get the 'There was a problem when resetting your PC. No changes were made. I did all the DISM health restore stuff and retried. Didn't work. I did a clean install of Win 10 which took hours, again...
  8. Can't reset Win 10 PC... even after fresh install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?: Hi, I'd like to know if there are differences between doing a fresh install and reset the computer through the settings app. I don't understand the differences between the two options apart from the fact that the fresh install scan for updates and then reset the computer,...
  10. PC stuck at 88% on fresh reset.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC stuck at 88% on fresh reset.: Acer Aspire 3 A315-53-55Y1 15.6-Inch HD i5-8250U 16GB Optane + 4GB 1TB Windows 10 Features: Intel Core i5 i5-8250U 1.60 GHz Quad-core (4 Core) 4 GB DDR4 SDRAM + 16GB Optane 1 TB Serial ATA 15.6-Inch LCD HD LED 1366 x 768 Intel UHD Graphics 620 DDR4 SDRAM Windows 10 Home...