Windows 10: fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help

Discus and support fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Tenforums: ( windows 10 64 bit version 1909 build 18363.535 ) I replaced my old laptop hard drive with a Samsung 860 EVO to help it limp a bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tom203, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Tom203 Win User

fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help

Hi Tenforums:

( windows 10 64 bit version 1909 build 18363.535 )

I replaced my old laptop hard drive with a Samsung 860 EVO to help it limp a bit faster....

Had temporary hiccups as install media seemed not to like the said SSD as target for installing the OS. After trial & error with available buttons/options Install Media did proceed / installed windows 10. The laptop now boots smoothly and briskly from SSD.

Partition Question(s)

The SSD has only a single partition, " system, boot, page file, crash dump, active, primary "

I don't remember Install Process options for other partitions - such as Recovery ~20GB and HPTools (FAT32) < 100MB..... At some point I acted to make space on another External HD to house a copy of these two volumes, (?) maybe because I couldn't see how to get them on the principal SSD.

So I worry my OS now installed doesn't have a Recovery resource/drive/file/partition.

- Also / however - in glissading over some SSD support posts I see some comment to the effect of "... such multiple partitions on original C: drive are an OEM practice, and a user's new Win 10 install will not attract that same structure on the single HDD."

? Q ? > Can someone kindly point me toward explanation of such partitions in new install, and what to do to establish recovery protection? And please so indicate if I've done something wrong in the install - let me know what data I need to add here.

Thank You!

:)

Tom203, Dec 21, 2019
  2. Carsomyr Win User

Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Dec 21, 2019
  3. HLL_544 Win User
    Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Dec 21, 2019
  4. fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help

Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help

1. fresh install win 10 on SSD - partitions help - Similar Threads - fresh install SSD

2. Win 11 SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 SSD Partition: Should I partition a 1 TB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD on a new Win 11 Dell Inspiron laptop?Specs: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-11390H @ 3.40GHz 2.92 GHz, 16gB RAM. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-ssd-partition/8e118dcd-64b0-4915-9146-45a1ac65e52f
  3. SSD Partition Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Partition Help: Hi guys. Just wondering if I can have some advice please. I have a new Acer predator laptop and it comes with a 1TB SSD. I haven't really messed around with it too much yet other than installing Steam and a few games. I've been advised that it might be helpful to partition...
  4. Need help on a fresh install of windows on and SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help on a fresh install of windows on and SSD: Hi Reddit, This is my first post. Guess I'll be Stuck here forever! Currently upgrading my girlfriend's laptop from a HDD to SSD. Hers is an Acer laptop where mine is an old Sony vaio (use for engineering) where I already completed a windows install myself. My question is...
  5. fresh install of Win10 on SSD but no system reserve/recovery partitions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fresh install of Win10 on SSD but no system reserve/recovery partitions: Hi After a fresh install of Win10 on SSD, I have no system reserve/recovery partitions on C: - Is this an issue? I am experiencing freezes and boot problems after the freeze until I remove all the drives. I have 2 other SATA HDD's which were not connected at the time of...
  6. New SSD install partition help.

New SSD install partition help.: Hello. I am installing a new ssd and I need help with the partitions. I purchased a WD Black SN750 1tb. I installed it in my laptop (Alienware M15). I downloaded the windows 10 disc image iso file on a USB. I am in windows setup and I selected custom install and I'm on the...
  7. Fresh install of Win 10

Fresh install of Win 10: I have an 2014 vintage ASUS Transformer that I would like to wipe clean and buy/install Windows 10. The problem is the original Win 8.1 install seems to be corrupt. It will not update, and if I try to refresh or reinstall, it wants the installation media, which I do not have....
  8. Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD

Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD: I upgraded to Windows 10 couple years ago when MS offered to Windows 7 owner a free upgrade. Now I'm planning to install a SSD to my computer and have the OS boot from it. How do i do a fresh install to my SSD without the disc? Is there somewhere I can download Windows 10...
  9. Fresh Install Win 10

Fresh Install Win 10: My two PC were free upgraded to Win 10 last year. I want to re install the Win 10 on one of that PC due to virus in that PC which is not getting removed. My question is, how to re install Win 10 and how it will be activated. Do I need to note down some thing from this PC to...
  10. Confuse partitioning organization after fresh installing on new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Confuse partitioning organization after fresh installing on new SSD: Today I've bought myself an SSD, to speed up things... *Smile D:\ (Disk 1) is the Hard Disk (500GB), C:\ (Disk 0) is the Solid State Drive (120GB) (Both GPT/UEFI) Well, I decided to clean install Windows 10 on it, but the partitions look very odd. Screenshot of...