Windows 10: Fresh installation question

Discus and support Fresh installation question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning my first install of 10 onto a new SSD. I have win7 home registered and my account key on hand. From the reading I've done it seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ubuntufoo, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Ubuntufoo Win User

Fresh installation question

I'm planning my first install of 10 onto a new SSD. I have win7 home registered and my account key on hand. From the reading I've done it seems possible to bypass the "upgrade" step but I'm still a bit confused by some of the jargon etc.

Basically what is the simplest method to clean install win10 onto a new SSD if I own a registered win7 ?

Thank you

:)

Ubuntufoo, Dec 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Fresh Install Question

It will wipe out everything and perform a clean (clean) install of Windows 10. No, it does not provide the option to partition the drive, neither does the recovery drive if you use that option.

If you want to perform a custom install and partition the drive, you should use the .ISO instead.

Of you can do the Reset and create the partition after the reinstallation:

Press Windows key + x

Click Disk Management

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Dec 29, 2015
  3. AntJac Win User
    Windows 10 Fresh Install Question

Sorry forgot to ask this..if i choose the other option in Reset (where everything including my files is wiped) is this a total reinstall of Windows so even backups and old files from Windows 7 etc will be wiped? Will this give me the option also to partition?

Sorry for the questions.

AntJac, Dec 29, 2015
  4. Fresh installation question

If you have the Installation media i.e. ISO of Windows 10 with November upgrade, you can trigger the setup and put in the Windows 7 key when prompted as Windows 10 build 10586 accepts the key.There is no need to do an upgrade first.You can make sure you have the ISO of with the november upgrade by checking the build number of setup.exe.It should be 10586.0.
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
    Make sure you have the correct media too.

Sumit Dhiman, Dec 29, 2015
  5. cereberus Win User
    For clarity, you have to create a bootable usb stick or dvd, and boot from it, to clean install without upograding. Easiest way is to create a usb installation stick directly from the following link.

Windows 10 ISO

cereberus, Dec 29, 2015
  6. Ubuntufoo Win User
    Edit so what I'm doing currently is downloading windows 10 onto my USB stick using the media creation tool from the link above to install onto a brand new SSD that never had any OS installed previously, and I'm under the impression that whatever is on this USB stick is all I need to install and activate my FREE Windows 10 Home.

I feel like the element where I prove I have a registered Win7 is missing from this process, or I'm not understanding something here. So if anyone reading this sees error, let me know.

Ubuntufoo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fresh installation question

1. Fresh installation question - Similar Threads - Fresh installation question

2. Fresh Win 11 install question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Win 11 install question: I currently have two Windows 10 Pro retail from the MS store on two PC's. I keep hearing I can upgrade to Win 11 with this key. Once I make the necessary changes in BIOS, can I do a fresh install VIA Media Creation Tool USB to install Win 11 Pro and activate with my Win 10...
  3. Fresh Win 11 install question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Win 11 install question: I currently have two Windows 10 Pro retail from the MS store on two PC's. I keep hearing I can upgrade to Win 11 with this key. Once I make the necessary changes in BIOS, can I do a fresh install VIA Media Creation Tool USB to install Win 11 Pro and activate with my Win 10...
  4. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  5. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  6. Stolen laptop question - fresh install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stolen laptop question - fresh install?: Hey gang, My laptop was stolen and I am trying to track it. If the thief does a clean windows install, am I out of luck? Thanks..... submitted by /u/WutangCND [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mpdqko/stolen_laptop_question_fresh_install/
  7. Question re: fresh windows install

Question re: fresh windows install: So I'm not sure what happened to my Surface Book 2, but after performing a hard shutdown in the middle of a video driver failure I got stuck in an automatic repair loop. Can't boot to windows, can't reinstall/repair, and apparently even the registry is corrupted beyond...
  8. Fresh install or Upgrade to 10? [Question]

Fresh install or Upgrade to 10? [Question]: Ok, I have read enough articles, many posts here on reddit and have some advices from friends. All are equally split between "just upgrade to 10 already, it's not as it was in the past. Just upgrade from within 7" and "of course you will go to a fresh clean install at some...
  9. Windows 10 Fresh Install Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Fresh Install Question: I'm planning on rebuilding my PC with some new components. I want to do a fresh install of Win 10 on a new NVMe M.2 SSD. My current Win 10 Home is derived from a free upgrade from Win 7 Home. I understand that there's a difference between a new Win 10 Home product key and...
  10. Fresh Install Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Install Questions: Hey there, so recently I built my first gaming PC. I was having issues with it not displaying anything so I took it to a PC repair shop. The guy fixed it, and also installed Windows 10 as well as all the drivers. This was great, however, I now have a irrational fear that the...