Windows 10: Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly !

Discus and support Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly ! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all , This is really strange , I have messed around with PC's for a few years and have never come across an issue quite like this , I have done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dink44, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Dink44 Win User

Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly !

Hi all , This is really strange , I have messed around with PC's for a few years and have never come across an issue quite like this , I have done plenty of " Googling " to try and find an answer but have got to the point where I am going around in circles , so now I need some help from a kind geek Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly ! :) It's my other half's Laptop that was originally Win 7 Home , Packard Bell TK85 with Intel HD graphics , Intel 2.4 Ghz Dual core , 4 GB RAM , WD 640 GB 5.4K drive . Here is a quick description of what I started with to where I am : I had WIN 10 pro from Microsoft on USB key ( 1804 ... I know early version but I have 80 MB Internet so to download the updates and apply is quick ) , got a new Win 10 pro key , used a Live Ubuntu CD to completely wipe the drive and format , removing ALL partitions , then loaded Win 10 pro and activated fine with key . All seemed good BUT when it took the 20H1 update we got this strange EXPLORER activity in the background that seems to make everything lag , it varies fron 5-25% if I look at it in Task Manager , tried leaving it over night to see if it would eventually correct itself , tried running a SCAN with Defender , tried a sfc/scannow , tried chkdsk/r , still happens ? Then it offered the 20H2 update so in a hope it may have something to correct the issue I took the update still the same , after many hours of Google and trying lots of suggested tweeks I gave up and used the feature in Win 10 that allows RECOVERY / RESET THIS PC , chose to not keep any user files or programs and download a fresh install from the CLOUD , it wiped the Windows partition and loaded Win 10 20H2 fine , but still the strange lag !! OK so most would now say Win 10 doesn't like your PC as its too old BUT WAIT Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly ! :) This I discovered by accident : If I simply press CTRL+ALT+DELETE then CANCEL and choose NOT to go into Task Manager or other things on menu , ALL activity stops !! The PC runs fine CPU activity down to 1-2 % , until I restart then I have to do same trick again to stop activity . Previously I had right clicked task bar and opened Task Manager to see what was active ( I discovered this on the previous build , this is why I gave up and reinstalled fresh copy ) So in conclusion we have a fresh install of Win 10 pro 20H2 (19042.1081 ) , activated and a virgin install with nothing added , EGDE was opened to finish its install and I clicked on eBay to see if it would load web pages ok , that is first and last time its been online ( other than updates ) Device manager is happy ( no driver issues ) and it has recognised all hardware correctly , Intel HD graphics are on newest available driver 8.15.10.9000 . I have disabled Cortana via COMPONENT SERVICES ( gpedit ) as many suggest this can causes issues on old machines and as she will never use Cortana , decided it wouldn't be an issue. So how do I find what is causing this activity that disappears if I use CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then CANCEL ? Please help , I am running out of hair to pull out Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly ! :)

:)

Dink44, Jul 5, 2021

2. MSDN Win 10 Pro Activation Issues

Here is a Microsoft paper on activation issues.

Get help with Windows activation errors

I suggest that you use the TechNet forums for this particular issue. This forum is consumer-oriented (Win 10 Home, Pro). TechNet is IT oriented (Win 10, Pro, Enterprise, MSDN, Server 2012-R2, etc.).

Cbarnhorst, Jul 5, 2021
  3. Unable to Activate Win 8

I guess that's two of us with magic Windows 8 upgrade disks. *Laugh :laugh:

TheMailMan78, Jul 5, 2021
  4. Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly !

Fresh USB Windows 10 Install - Failing

I am trying to install a fresh copy (reformatted the hard disk) of windows 10 using a USB

• Created an installation media on a USB flash drive (Win 10 pro) from this page Download Windows 10
    • Changed the boot order on the other PC so that it boots using USB
    • Selected custom install
    • Installing Windows goes through the following steps successfully: Copying Windows Files, Getting Files ready for installation, Installing features, Installing updates and before the last step (Finishing up), it restarts
    • Then it goes back to the start of the installation steps

I am stuck and have read numerous posts but don't know what to do to install a fresh copy of Win 10.

deepakkaushik, Jul 5, 2021
Thema:

Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly !

1. Fresh Virgin Win 10 pro , BUT 20% activity from EXPLORER constantly ! - Similar Threads - Fresh Virgin pro

2. new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key: Did a fresh install of Win 11 Pro after upgrading hardware using new motherboard, cpu, and hard drive. I am not able to activate Windows 11 using my valid Windows 10 Product key. Or keys - have 3 others not used and they won't work either although all are valid.Troubleshoot...
  3. new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new fresh install of Win 11 Pro - but will not activate with my Win 10 Pro Product Key: Did a fresh install of Win 11 Pro after upgrading hardware using new motherboard, cpu, and hard drive. I am not able to activate Windows 11 using my valid Windows 10 Product key. Or keys - have 3 others not used and they won't work either although all are valid.Troubleshoot...
  4. Fresh Win 10 pro ,but CPU activity at 5-20% unless I CTRL+ALT+DELETE ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Win 10 pro ,but CPU activity at 5-20% unless I CTRL+ALT+DELETE ?: Hi all , This is really strange , I have messed around with PC's for a few years and have never come across an issue quite like this , I have done plenty of " Googling " to try and find an answer but have got to the point where I am going around in circles , so now I need...
  5. activation win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activation win 10 pro: scenario: Laptop 1 has win 8, I buy a Win 10 Licence full from the windows store. Laptop 1 is Win 10 pro activated. 6 months later I buy Laptop 2, it has Win 10 home, I want to transfer my pro licence on it. on Laptop 1 I deactivate the licence by entering "slmgr.vbs...
  6. ACTIVATION OF WIN 10 PRO

ACTIVATION OF WIN 10 PRO: last year i have purchase hp notebook with preinstalled win 10. last week it shows that activate windows. trying to activate it but unable to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-of-win-10-pro/a8a22451-41d8-4a99-8452-29664424baf2
  7. ACTIVE WIN 10 PRO

ACTIVE WIN 10 PRO: I HAVE KEY FOR ACTIVATE BUT WHEN I PUT THE KEY I HAD A problem IT SHWOS ME THIS ERROR 0x803F7001 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/active-win-10-pro/e309a973-59ff-4cd7-aafc-22afc8e8042f
  8. Repair/replace organization install of Win 10 Pro with virgin OEM install of Win 10 Home

Repair/replace organization install of Win 10 Pro with virgin OEM install of Win 10 Home: Last year, my PC died, so I bought a refurbished PC from a local shop. It came with Win 10 Pro installed, but a couple of months ago, it gave me a notice that Windows wasn't activated. When I tried to activate it, it said this: "We can't activate Windows on this device as...
  9. Win 10 pro activation

Win 10 pro activation: Hello, can i activate Win 10 i just downloaded from microsoft site, with a Win 10 pro activation key? I lost the original win 10 pro that came with device but saved the key...
  10. Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro

Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro: I installed Windows 10 pro as a VMware Workstation 14 Player Virtual Machine. I tried to activate it using the product key from an OEM Win7 pro DVD I purchased for a pc I built years ago (and then disassembled months ago). That didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks for any...