Windows 10: Fresh Windows 10 install - Start menu, Settings app, Search menu all cause VIDEO TDR...

Discus and support Fresh Windows 10 install - Start menu, Settings app, Search menu all cause VIDEO TDR... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is insane, ludicrous. I have just installed a new hard disk in a client's Toshiba Satellite L850, Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, intel graphics. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by reknoZ, Nov 15, 2018.

1. reknoZ Win User

Fresh Windows 10 install - Start menu, Settings app, Search menu all cause VIDEO TDR...

This is insane, ludicrous.

I have just installed a new hard disk in a client's Toshiba Satellite L850, Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, intel graphics.

I installed Windows 10, downloaded from the Microsoft site.

After a successful install, I went straight to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update which showed there were updates.

So, I let it do the updates. At some point, it said it was time to reboot. So, I did.

I have been unable to use the system ever since, including doing a complete re-install of Windows which included removing all partitions and formatting the disk!!!

There is some kind of graphics issue. The screen frequently goes black for 3-5 seconds, several times in a row, as if it's changing graphics modes. I can use Task Manager to start *some* applications, but if click the Start menu, the Search menu, or if I start Settings from the command line, the screen will go black, return, go black, return about 5 or more times and then I get a BSOD:

VIDEO TDR FAILURE

igdkmd64.sys

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the intel graphics drivers. I've gone back two or three device driver versions. I've done all the sfc /scannow, GetXApp, troubleshooters, etc. that I can think of. I also used the WSUS offline updater. It did a good job, but didn't resolve my issue.

Of course, I've googled the error message and the device driver a thousand times and followed all the threads, but most of them say "Go to Settings and do the updates." But, I can't open settings. When I do, it crashes. So, after 72 hours of this nonsense, this computer is unusable.

Does *any*one have any *good* and *novel* things to say on the subject?

I'm happy to provide whatever info is useful, but rather than dump lots of useless info, just tell me what you need/want to help me solve this problem.

I can't believe how hard it is to maintain a Windows machine. It's absolutely insane. Installing a fresh copy of a Windows operating system on a brand new disk should be a no brainer. Not a 72 hour exercise in futility. Ludicrous. Get your head out of your ass, Microsoft, and for once, produce an operating system that just works. These kinds of issues DO NOT happen on Apple computers.

:)

reknoZ, Nov 15, 2018
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestions - move to proper menus, add Options window

Suggestions:
    1) Remove main menus from top left menu (system menu) and move them to a standard Windows menu, at the top.
    Leave the 6 system menu items (Restore --- Close) in system menu, move all the rest to that standard main menu. The main menu can be auto-hidable - pressing Alt key to invoke it or hide it, similar to the way IE11 menus and many Windows 10 built-in apps' menus work.

2) And/or, add an Options menu or button, which would invoke a separate screen with GPU-Z Options, similar to how most Windows apps work.
    Most Windows apps have a separate Options screen, which GPU-Z lacks - one should be added.

Thanks in advance for listening!

4. Fresh Windows 10 install - Start menu, Settings app, Search menu all cause VIDEO TDR...

Windows 10 Start menu issue

yeah I've been less than happy with the start menu also.
    for me I for me I get freezes in start menu, especialy returning from sleep...which reminds me sleep is such a pain in the butt since I switch to Windows 10. Either waking up on its own, or system freezes when recovering from sleep

Stardock was a nice switch from vanilla, but i wasnt gonna buy it and 30 days goes by quick.

jboydgolfer, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Fresh Windows 10 install - Start menu, Settings app, Search menu all cause VIDEO TDR...

1. Fresh Windows 10 install - Start menu, Settings app, Search menu all cause VIDEO TDR... - Similar Threads - Fresh install Start

2. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working: I got the problem yesterday. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft App not working when clicked.Also Email ,Microsoft Edge and all Microsoft apps disappear from task bar.I'm trying all method such as Restart Windows Explorer ,sfc scan ,cleanboot ,reset start...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working: I got the problem yesterday. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft App not working when clicked.Also Email ,Microsoft Edge and all Microsoft apps disappear from task bar.I'm trying all method such as Restart Windows Explorer ,sfc scan ,cleanboot ,reset start...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu ,Search Menu and all Microsoft Apps not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start menu search not returning installed apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu search not returning installed apps: Hello there, The start menu search won't return some applications when i search them, i'd like to have the same behavior like the previous windows version. I have checked that the application in background checkbox is checked in the privacy settings, but it doesn't help, any...
  6. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  7. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  8. Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms

Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms: I use the start menu search for opening up apps instead of having a bloated task bar but at some point Windows 10 stopped working showing results properly for everything. E.g. when I updated MS office, windows button + type away for example "word" will show the not even...
  9. All apps in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All apps in start menu: So I just installed the anniversary update and it changed the start menu so it is now showing "All apps", I have browsed the settings but can't seem to figure out how to turn this off... I want to turn off the list that appears to the left that is showing all the crap...
  10. All Apps on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All Apps on Start Menu: I gotta question. It's not a big deal, but I'm kinda anal. The all apps button on the left edge of the start menu: on my menu it's up at the top of the menu. On every picture I've ever seen, the all apps button is at the bottom left of the menu right above the Start...