Windows 10: Freshly built PC freezing constantly

Discus and support Freshly built PC freezing constantly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I just finished putting together a build with these specs: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: Red Devil 5700XT Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Memory:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mnalette, Nov 26, 2019.

1. mnalette Win User

Freshly built PC freezing constantly

Hi,

I just finished putting together a build with these specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    GPU: Red Devil 5700XT
    Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8gb 3000MHz

PSU: SeaSonic Focus 550 Gold 550w

Storage: 1tb SSD Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe

I installed Windows 10 off of my USB and actually noticed a bit of cursor lag then but was able to complete the installation and I got to the desktop. I immediately noticed the cursor would sporadically freeze after 3-4s for a second, but sometimes it goes a little longer. The keyboard randomly works or doesn’t, and when it’s not working, the only key that works is the “E” key and what it prints out is some weird character that slightly resembles an E. This hasn’t happened for a bit though.

I updated drivers but it didnt appear to help. Every several seconds, the cursor will lock up for a second or two, and often times when im typing, it’ll freeze for a few seconds and then populate all the text i had attempted to enter in while it was frozen.

Overall it just seems like the entire OS is running poorly. However i dont know where to start because it seems as if the cursor was lagging while I was at the Windows installation screen!

How would I even begin troubleshooting this?

Ty!

:)

mnalette, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Audio not working on a freshly built W10 PC?

Hi,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Please answer this question to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the steps suggested below.

Fix sound problems

Also install all pending Windows updates in your PC. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Do let us know the status of the issue to assist you better. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 26, 2019
  3. Freshly built system: Freezing Problem

I've recently built this system for myself. And I am being plagued by in game and desktop freezing.
    Any help would be more than welcome as I tried troubleshooting it with partial (and boggling) results.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intel Pentium E8400 3.00Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5 (F2 BIOS)
    Zerotherm Nirvana NV120 Premium
    Mushkin XP2-8500 2x1Gb RAM 1066Mhz (dual channel)
    Saphire ATi Radeon HD 2600 512Mb (OLD)
    Maxtor 160Gb | WD Caviar 400Gb | WD Caviar 500Gb (All OLD)
    ASUS DRW-1814BL DVD unit
    Audigy 1 24bit SB (OLD)
    AntecNeo HE 550W EC
    EnGenius EUB-862 usb wireless dongle for internet (Aetheros chipset)
    Windows XP SP3
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notes:
    OLD hardware worked fine with a previous built
    I flashed my bios from F1 to F2 using Gigabytes @bios (using offline method because it's safer)
    Bios is set to Optimal settings except for ram speed set from 1066 to 667 (for 1:1 ratio),
    disabled boot logo (I like seeing the post *Smile Freshly built PC freezing constantly :) ), and disabled serial and printer ports (on-board, needs auxiliary bracket to use, I never use it anyway);

Symptoms

I. PC freezes while playing many hardware intensive games; Most noticeably Unreal Tournament 3 (UT3) (1280x960 everything else on max settings)
    II. Seemingly random freezes on desktop while noticeably more frequent while using uTorrent
    III. I connect through my wireless internet using PPPoE. If I shutdown or reboot while the PPPoE is active it ALWAYS freezes. (If I disconnect from the PPPoE it shuts down (or reboots) normaly 100%of times)

Troubleshooting.

1. Ran Orthos to check if my CPU and/or RAM is faulting and/or overheating. Using Everest,
    CoreTemp, RealTemp, SpeedFan and CPU-Z for monitoring temps and harware.
    After ~4hours of runing Orthos on priority level 7 I checked my temps: Ambient temp 25-26C, Motherboard 36C,
    All HDD's bellow 36C (using 120mm fan + cage), CPU 48C (each program reported something
    else, Everest and CoreTemp agreed on 48C, others were +/-3C or -10C from the 48C)
    Test was still running fine, no freezing;

2. Reseated my video card several times, checked it's temps while running UT3, never got above 56-58C. Freezing still occurs within 1-3Min of playing, depending on map size and detail settings (higher the details, shorter time til freezing occurs).

3. Swapped & reseated both ram modules. no improvement;

4. Ran Msconfig and disabled all non-microsoft services and startups. and it worked! somewhat.. and for a while..
    4a. Running UT3 normally with all services enabled always freezes my pc, sometimes I can ctrl+alt+del and close it, most of the times not that "lucky";
    4b. Disabled all non-microsoft stuff worked, I played indefinitely, then once every 3-8 reboots it still freezes on same settings (probably my printer service...strangely runs on ocasion even if disabled);
    4c. Tried to enable 3rd party services one by one to see if one of them was responsable, to my surprise it wasnt any particular service.. enabling either of them one by one yielded freezes though after longer period of gameplay;

5. Ran massive in depth antivirus/trojan/rootkit scans. System was pristine *Smile Freshly built PC freezing constantly :)

6. Uninstalled my ATi 8.4 drivers (antivirus resident off so as to not potentially cause problems), reboot, installed 8.5 (freshly uploaded), reboot, same problems.

7. Reinstaled my 3rd party drivers including the WLAN one, no improvement.

8. Defragged with PerfectDisk the system & games partitions. Including offline (Pagefile=3GB,separate drive from windows & games partitions);

9. Ran dxdiag to check for any errors, no problems detected, everything was up to date.

10. Carefully performed several desperate voodoo like myth tests (frequently detailed on dodgy forums). *Stick Out Tongue Freshly built PC freezing constantly :p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PROBLEM SOLVED:

Additional steps:
    - checked PSU parameters and RAM voltage, all was ok;
    - uninstalled applications one in the hope of finding the issue;

The problem was a bad .NET 3.5 install. Uninstalled all .NET frameworks (2, 3, 3.5) and did a fresh install of .NET 2.0

All went fine, system is now stable.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black Hades, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Freshly built PC freezing constantly

Windows 10 Constantly Freezes

Windows 10 on PC constantly freezes. I called support with no help. It freezes every 2-3 minutes. This is unacceptable and I don't know what to do. The Windows rep suggest that I could go back to Windows 8. I've had 10 for almost two months and I would
    like to keep it; I just want it to stop freezing my PC. I have tried the various suggestions given to no avail, this is a Windows 10 problem. PLEASE HELP

ShakeelaMuhammad, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Freshly built PC freezing constantly

1. Freshly built PC freezing constantly - Similar Threads - Freshly built freezing

2. PC Constantly Freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Constantly Freezes: I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I've seen other posts that describe a similar issue that may be caused by Windows 11. My PC will just freeze and be completely unresponsive. The monitors will stay on, but the mouse won't move and audio stops immediately. The...
  3. PC Constantly Freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Constantly Freezes: I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I've seen other posts that describe a similar issue that may be caused by Windows 11. My PC will just freeze and be completely unresponsive. The monitors will stay on, but the mouse won't move and audio stops immediately. The...
  4. PC freezes constantly, no BSOD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes constantly, no BSOD.: I've dealt with these issues for quite some time. Resetting Windows 11 did not work, along with reinstalling all drivers and software, updating Windows 11, removing VPNs and antivirus software, running SFC scans and chkdsk, updating the BIOS, etc. It happens quite randomly,...
  5. PC constantly restarts and freezes

PC constantly restarts and freezes: I recently bought a new pc after a Windows update broke my old one. This one started to restart randomly but it didn't bother me too much, it seemed random and nothing was normally important when it did so, it always booted up quickly afterwards. But now after a day it...
  6. Built new pc but it constantly freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built new pc but it constantly freezes: Hello,I've recently built a new pc but every so often the display freezes and I can't do anything other than force shut down the system via the power on button. I went to the sysinfo to check for crashes but I can't find any information there last event is the force shut...
  7. Built new pc but it constantly freezes

Built new pc but it constantly freezes: Hello,I've recently built a new pc but every so often the display freezes and I can't do anything other than force shut down the system via the power on button. I went to the sysinfo to check for crashes but I can't find any information there last event is the force shut...
  8. Constant BSOD with hand-built PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSOD with hand-built PC: Hello, So I've been having BSOD issues on my PC for quite some time now, which I've been constantly working on it to find a fix. I'm going to give a timeline of my troubleshooting steps and changes I've made to try and eliminate the problem. System Specs: CPU - Ryzen 7...
  9. Constant Freezing of PC

Constant Freezing of PC: Hi, I experience Freezing from time to time and upon checking with "View Reliance History", it says it's a hardware error. Please see the log below and hope someone can help me understand the problem with a solution. Thank you Log Source Windows Summary Hardware...
  10. Constant BSODs on Newly Built PC

Constant BSODs on Newly Built PC: I just built a new computer the other day. It is my first custom build, so I was very excited to have it done. Everything went well for the first few hours of use, but then I encountered a blue screen. I thought maybe it was just a one-time thing, but over the past few days,...