Windows 10: From a Microsoft account with administrator righs list "local users" names and status?...

Discus and support From a Microsoft account with administrator righs list "local users" names and status?... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm often called to help residents of a "Continuing Care Retirement Community" with computer problems. Quite often residents have Windows installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dan Ayres, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dan Ayres Win User

From a Microsoft account with administrator righs list "local users" names and status?...

I'm often called to help residents of a "Continuing Care Retirement Community" with computer problems. Quite often residents have Windows installed and updated by their children or by themselves in ways that they no longer fully understand or remember. I admit to being close to that stage myself some times.

If I am asked to help them, sometimes I need to know the names of local accounts which administrators could list under Windows until Windows 10. Now I'm not sure how a Microsoft Account user can query the local account structure for "old local accounts" which may have provided directory and pathing information that the current user has underneath their active profile. I suspect that in most situations, administrative rights will let things be changed, but if there is an "orphan" local user that may need to be revived, can the password be changed or file locks removed from a Windows 10 Microsoft user account added to the computer after it was upgraded?

This information is of interest to me as a "student" of the evolution windows as much as for practical reasons. My wife is being asked to use some "older shareware" that is having pathing problems on computers she is not familiar with. I suspect that the issue has to do with they way the software was installed or the way her user was set up on an updated to Windows 10 computer.

I'm not sure how to search the help archives, or the best way to resolve my questions since two of our own three computers stated out with Windows 7 local accounts only and have been updated to a consistent Windows 10, user name and password security scheme using Microsoft Accounts rather than local accounts. Some of my own computers have old user/directory names that show up in file manager dialogs when the full path information is displayed. File permissions in some cases were apparently set by local users that have been removed or changed before the current Microsoft Only rules were imposed and some of the installed software "remembers" path information that no longer exists.

:)

Dan Ayres, Dec 17, 2018

2. User Account folder name

Only like this you can change it. Isolved problem like this.Works 100% without deleting files

• Create a local account with the user name you wish.
    • Change account type to administrator (can skip if there is other administrator).
    • Remove original Microsoft linked account
    • Link local account to Microsoft account if you wish
    Local account creation is well hidden, here are step through Settings App :

Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users > Other users > Add someone else to this PC > The person I want to add doesn't have an email address > Add a user without Microsoft account

Armspecial, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Linking Microsoft Account to my Local Account Caused me to Lose Administrator Access

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and try to change the account settings.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 2: Follow the below steps,

• Type User Accounts in the Search box from the desktop and select
      Change the User Accounts.

• Here you will be able to see all the user accounts on your computer.

• Select the User account and see if it is a Standard user account or Administrator.

• If it is standard user then, change it to Administrator.

• Now, log out from the Built-in Administrator account and try to log-in with your Administrator account.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 17, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

From a Microsoft account with administrator righs list "local users" names and status?...

Weird account name and lost Administrator rights.

Well, I know what I would do.

Under Settings, Accounts, Family & other users, then under Other users, add someone else to this PC. Then click the link for "the person I want to add doesn't have an email address". Then click the link for "Add a user without a Microsoft account". Then enter a temporary user name like TempAdmin. When the account appears in the Other Users list, click on it. Click change account type. Make the temporary account an Administrator.

Log in as the temporary administrator account, and copy all the files you want to keep from both the Andrius folders under Users to the temporary account's folder. Then delete whatever Andrius users are listed under settings, accounts. Go back to the Users folders and delete any remaining Andrius folders in there. Reboot the computer, log in as the temporary administrator and recreate an Andrius account using the exact same steps you made the temporary account - you can convert it to a Microsoft account if you want later.

Then do the rest of the steps to copy all your files back and delete the temporary administrator account.

NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. From a Microsoft account with administrator righs list "local users" names and status?... - Similar Threads - Microsoft account administrator

2. Wrong Microsoft Account Administrator listed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wrong Microsoft Account Administrator listed: Someone else is the account administrator on my laptop even though I have my own microsoft account. This prevents me from setting my own preferences. How do I remove their account?...
  3. How to enable the Built-in administrator account from local user account[not local...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to enable the Built-in administrator account from local user account[not local...: How to built-in administrator enable the account from user account.....? I tried following command but getting below error. [ATTACH] Can you give the solution to fix the issue....
  4. Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?

Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?: I just installed Windows 10 on a workstation on my network there are many computers on this internal network. Since this network is secure and I'm the only employee... the same username and password is used on all systems... mine. This makes it very simple to use the...
  5. My Local User Account Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Local User Account Name: I want to set up a local user account named 'Roger". It is important that I use that name and no other. Unfortunately, I set it up once before and then deleted it for a reason that I won't go into.. So I tried to set it up again a few days later and it will not allow me to...
  6. Administrator account named "Administrator"

Administrator account named "Administrator": I have a administrator account named Administrator How do I delete it the remove account option is missing and I only have change password option I have my own administrator account under my own name however I cannot delete the admin account named administrator....
  7. I can't change my Administrator Microsoft account to a local user.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't change my Administrator Microsoft account to a local user.: I have 2 accounts on my laptop right now. The administrator account was the one I first logged in with this laptop and later, I added my second Microsoft account. I want to change my old account to a local user so I can change the Microsoft account on my second account to...
  8. User Account Status

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Status: I Changed My User Status To Device Owner And Now I Am Unable To Access Through The Other User And I Have Also Lost Some Of My Files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-account-status/62f30e1b-8c89-44dd-89b9-89ffd2aacb21
  9. Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???: This is crazy. I linked my local Administrator account (which has been active since Windows 7, then I upgraded to Windows 10) to my Microsoft account. I only did this because Microsoft said it would be easier when changing hardware (montherboard died) to re-establish my...
  10. restoring an account to administrator status

restoring an account to administrator status: I was constantly getting messages saying that I could not save letters etc in documents as I needed administrator approval despite my account being an administrator account. How can I restore to be an administrator....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do I change user account righs on surface