Windows 10: From DOS to the golden age of Windows

Discus and support From DOS to the golden age of Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Travelling back in time Those of us who grew up with computers have witnessed great change: from the hulking tower PCs of yore to the pocket-sized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

From DOS to the golden age of Windows

Read more: From DOS to the golden age of Windows: The classic operating systems you can run in the browser - TechRepublic

:)

Brink, Feb 23, 2016

2. Problems Nokia E72 firmware version 051.018

Nokia is proving it to be a dumb company as days goes by. Its golden age is near to end. Shame..... Nokia shame....

shakivrizvi, Feb 23, 2016
  3. Unable to run Age of Empires The Age of King game on Windows 10.

With windows 10 I cannot get AGE OF EMPIRES II to load or play?

ClarenceCampbell1, Feb 23, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Sweet memories..hell no!..present day users don't realise what we had to go through, or compared, how reliable modern computers are.

dencal, Feb 23, 2016
  5. What - no punch cards?

markweatherill, Feb 23, 2016
  6. Datapod Win User
    Agreed. Some days though when working out a particularly obscure Windows problem I do kind of miss the days when you knew what pretty much every file on your computer was, where it was and what it did.

From DOS to the golden age of Windows [​IMG]

VS.

From DOS to the golden age of Windows [​IMG]

Datapod, Feb 23, 2016
  7. Yes remember this very well and some of the members who now are on about windows 10 should of been around in those times then they would of been grateful for how we used to had to do it

hTconeM9user, Feb 23, 2016
  8. Drybonz Win User

I'm willing to admit that Windows 10 is better than DOS.

Drybonz, Feb 23, 2016
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes. Fond memories... *Cool

eLPuSHeR, Feb 23, 2016
  10. lol, install DOS from 4 floppies, install Windows from a dozen or so floppies, then install office from about 2 dozen or so floppies. Hook up your dial up modem, get the disks out for that. etc, etc, etc,

alphanumeric, Feb 23, 2016
  11. Yes remember that very well took most of day and evening just to install everything and shutting down and restarting. then trying to get connected to dial up and waiting for the slow connection

hTconeM9user, Feb 23, 2016
  12. I came rather late to computers year 2000 to be exact first great adventure into the computing world with windows 98, All the BSOD with it was totally unbelievable.

The reassuring sound of the modem as it dialled into AOL and some of the software I downloaded, One stands out in particular Bit Magic a little program with a tv screen GUI that delivered all kinds of goodies every day, cartoons that kind of thing, Have searched in vain to get an archive of it, think they went out of business.

Joe

donegaljoe, Feb 23, 2016
  13. Word Man Win User

Certainly!*Smile

Word Man, Feb 23, 2016
  14. I can remember loading the OS on, I think it was an HP main frame, from a perforated tape on a spool. Then loading your program from cards you marked with a lead pensile. It was a programing exercise in Tech School on an old retired main frame. It was way outdated at the time but a fun trip down memory lane. Pun intended. *Smile

alphanumeric, Feb 23, 2016
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    1987. . .a wonderful year. . .my first GUI computer, the Apple Mac (Mac Plus), no more command line everything you needed to see,or use was right there on the screen. . .*Party

Thema:

1. From DOS to the golden age of Windows - Similar Threads - DOS golden age

2. DOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DOS: Can I run DOS pgm? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dos/dc4fa29e-eac9-4aa1-b70c-2dadb0c17f09
  3. DOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DOS: Can I run DOS pgm? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dos/dc4fa29e-eac9-4aa1-b70c-2dadb0c17f09
  4. Windows dos not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows dos not boot: Hi, I tried to upgrade to windows 10 21H1 yesterday and I needed to pull out my pc when it started thundering outside so now windows can't boot when it boots I get that the file BCD error code 0xc0000098 I have tried rebuilding the BCD but I may have done it incorrectly and I...
  5. Free DoS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free DoS: My laptop broke down and I need a computer for my university classes ... I started to buy a computer for 300 euros that almost or cannot handle engineering programs. It came with FreeDOS and the responsible companies ask for € 123 (to install windows 10) I already saw some...
  6. dos

in Windows 10 Customization
    dos: I want to delete directory 'Contacts' on Decktop Windows 10 Normal Windows delete does not work. 1 Re-start in Safe Mode 2 Command mode - DOS 3 cd desktop 4 attrib -R Contacts 5 rmdir /S Contacts 6 dir and 'Contacts has gone. 7 Re-start and Contacts is back...
  7. Bluetooth Goodnight - Silence is not golden

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Goodnight - Silence is not golden: I hope I am in the right section. This is a bit of a convoluted problem. I have purchased the BLUETOOTH speakers shown below. I have noticed that every time my desktop goes to sleep or my pc reboots the speakers die and I must go to pc settings and turn the speakers on and...
  8. golden toad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    golden toad: I can't open golden toad. is anyone else having this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/golden-toad/22c63f43-9da7-45de-9177-09c58dcd3edf
  9. Flight Simulator X golden edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Flight Simulator X golden edition: Hello, I reinstalled my official software package in Windows 10. I activated it and I got a positive result. After I start te program via FSX.EXE i gat the message that the activation was not succesful. I removed the program and did again a reinstallation. The message is...
  10. Golden lock at windows 10 notification system

in Windows 10 Support
    Golden lock at windows 10 notification system: Hi guys, I had an issue with my windows. Yesterday night when I was going to switch off my pc, I thought it was trying to shut down on its own, however, this morning I saw my pc didn't shut down at all & it stays at the uefi page. I knew something was not right. Right after...