Windows 10: From Genuine Key to Generic Key. Why Microsoft?

Discus and support From Genuine Key to Generic Key. Why Microsoft? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello Ten Forums I have a genuine key for windows 8.1 Pro But, after upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Microsoft is used with me generic key for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JeffKevin, Aug 4, 2015.

1. JeffKevin Win User

From Genuine Key to Generic Key. Why Microsoft?

Hello Ten Forums

I have a genuine key for windows 8.1 Pro

But, after upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Microsoft is used with me generic key for upgrade
    Key : VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Is this normal?

:)

JeffKevin, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

How i can restore my previous product key

Can’t guarantee this will work but as you have a genuine key for Pro you could try entering the generic key to see if it’ll activate.

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

http://www.intowindows.com/generic-product-key-...

If this doesn’t work then it’ll require a clean install imo.

Time Lady, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Home Version Changed to Windows 10 Pro in the Insider Preview

In case i continue with the generic insiders key, what happens to my actual, genuine Windows 10 Home Product Key?

Prashanth Jain, Aug 4, 2015
  4. kpo6969 Win User

Yes
    8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade
    Clean install after activation
    Same key

kpo6969, Aug 4, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I also asked about this in another thread -- Note though if you check the PRODUCT ID (NOT the KEY) it will be different from your original OS one. The Ms severs take some sort of Hardware mapping of your computer too - but as a lot of hardware around the world will be IDENTICAL Ms must have some way of UNIQUELY identifying each machine -- maybe the product ID is part of it.

I'm not sure that Ms can get the part number of every significant piece of hardware in your system - often it's not available.

Also what triggers re-activation is quite a mystery anyway. I've swapped a CPU and a MOBO and was never asked to re-activate - but changing to bigger HDD's or adding a Blu Ray device caused me to re-activate -- "Go Figure...".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. From Genuine Key to Generic Key. Why Microsoft? - Similar Threads - Genuine Key Generic

2. Why I can't activate with genuine key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why I can't activate with genuine key?: **** you and your activation !I won't s*ck with this all the day , instead i will activate with a CRACK program, so much for your "activation" So if you want to more genuine Windows then first make this process useful instead of useless !...
  3. Generic product key?

Generic product key?: I am installing an SSD for a friend on a working PC with an old patter drive that is super slow. I used a product key finder and got VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM- 9MPGT-3V66T product key finder says this is OEM and I need a digital license for activation. This PC is licensed already....
  4. CHECK MICROSOFT PRODUCT KEY IF IS IT GENUINE

CHECK MICROSOFT PRODUCT KEY IF IS IT GENUINE: 00327-30780-99333-AAOEM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-microsoft-product-key-if-is-it-genuine/e0da87b8-b47e-4c2b-9891-79b39354b004
  5. Product key genuine or not

Product key genuine or not: Hello, I have a window's activation key, before installing it,I want to check whether it is genuine or not, bought it from locally,. Windows 10, pro. please help, I want to check it before installing it .Thank you....
  6. the generic key is not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    the generic key is not working: the generic key for upgrading an oem home to pro is not working is there another that might work i have a gaming laptop that is a few years old and am trying to do an upgrade from a windows 10 oem copy to a pro key and cant validate either the pro key or the that is given in...
  7. generic product key

generic product key: anyone have generic product key for windows 10 home single language version 2004? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-product-key/43a2179d-fa3b-4314-b60c-34057fefb104
  8. Generic Keys

Generic Keys: Hey guys, When i got this computer I checked the product key using produkey, and I did a search and I found that it is a generic key, now they sent me out a copy of windows 10 home, and I have not used that key yet, so my question is this, if I put my new key in that I...
  9. Generic keys and License keys.

Generic keys and License keys.: Question, I have a windows 10 home generic key installed with permanent activation (Was like this when I got it from the company that my sister brought it from) and I am just wondering, would this be the reason why I have been having problems with some games running? I...
  10. Need a generic key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need a generic key: I completelely dont know my product key for my windows 10 HP, I was just given this computer from a brother. When it run into a problem I had to factory reset it and install new windows on it. PLEASE HELP!...