Windows 10: From public desktop to user desktop

Discus and support From public desktop to user desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Basically I turned on onedrive auto sync just now and all my files on desktop are in the directory of onedrive. After I stopped the auto sync, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Edwardlooooo, Nov 14, 2018.

1. From public desktop to user desktop

Basically I turned on onedrive auto sync just now and all my files on desktop are in the directory of onedrive.

After I stopped the auto sync, it went back to public desktop (as the directory of an application showed) and there were many icons missing.

Could someone tell me how to restore my desktop or at least go back to the user desktop instead of staying in the public desktop?

Any help will be appreciated!!!

:)

Edwardlooooo, Nov 14, 2018

2. Public Desktop showing instead of user desktop when logged in (Windows 10)

Upon login to Windows 10 using my username (the only one on the machine), it has now started bringing up the 'public' desktop instead of my 'user' desktop. I have no idea how to get my desktop folder to show back up as the desktop. I figured out that
    it was now displaying the contents of the public user folder because my anti-virus updated and put an icon/shortcut on the desktop. It was the only icon on this desktop. When I looked to see where the shortcut was located, it showed "C:\Users\Public\Desktop". Prior
    to this I thought maybe it was in tablet mode like the forums suggest. Not the case here. Any thoughts on how I can get MY desktop back instead of the public one?

DougAlberts, Nov 14, 2018
  3. surfing69 Win User
    Why does the desktop show both User and Public items?

I was cleaning up my Desktop in Windows explorer when i noticed that there were more items on my Desktop than that listed in windows explorer.

I eventually found out that the content on my Desktop was a mixture of files from User Desktop AND Public Desktop.

This was both unexpected and extremely frustrating

I expected ONLY those files in the User Desktop to be found on the Desktop.

I would like to know why the other files i found on the desktop were placed in the Public Desktop in Windows Explorer.

Any help would be appreciated.

surfing69, Nov 14, 2018
  4. From public desktop to user desktop

Passage from public desktop to user desktop problem

Hello,

I recently created another user account on my pc. I need to remove some links in the public desktop because they are not necessary for the other user.

The problem is that when I try to delete from the public desktop and to insert in my own desktop these one, icons don't visualized correctly (white image).

I've already tried to delete the icon cache and restart the pc, but it didn't work.

I have this problem with the apps that put shortcuts in the public desktop at the installing time (in the picture below VLC and VirtualBox).

I hope someone knows how to solve.

Meanwhile, thank you.

Franco Ruggeri

From public desktop to user desktop 97392c9e-af06-478d-ba36-710466792892?upload=true.png

FrancoRuggeri95, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

From public desktop to user desktop

1. From public desktop to user desktop - Similar Threads - public desktop user

2. My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  3. My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  4. My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  5. My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

My Windows desktop was f*cked up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  6. What are the contents of C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini?

What are the contents of C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini?: I accidentally deleted C:\Users\Public\Desktop\desktop.ini. What are the contents of this file on Windows 11 Pro?Note that I am asking about the file in C:\Users\Public and not in C:\Users\<UserName>....
  7. switch Public Desktopto user desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    switch Public Desktopto user desktop: In my work computer I have no permission to delete shortcuts on Public Deskop. Is there anyway to switch from public(default) desktop to user desktop. OR hiding the public desktop shortcuts without permission? submitted by /u/mardar572 [link] [comments]...
  8. When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I sign in the public user desktop is displaying instead of the user account desktop.: Microsoft sent a push notification on my laptop that said I needed to sign in to my outlook or I couldn't use my account. It said it would drop me in a public account until I did so, but what it actually did was just switch all my personal user files with the public use files...
  9. Public Desktop showing instead of user desktop when logged in (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public Desktop showing instead of user desktop when logged in (Windows 10): So, I couldn't respond to this original post, as it was too old and locked, but I wanted to share this with others...in the case that it happens to anyone else. My issue, although seemingly the same, actually had nothing to do with the Microsoft OneDrive, but rather that I...
  10. Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop: I've been having trouble ever since performing a factory reset of my computer with applications automatically wanting to use the Public Documents and Public Desktop folders. For example, after installing Adobe CC applications, the "Adobe" folder is added to...