Windows 10: From standby S3 mode, resume is a fresh boot...

Discus and support From standby S3 mode, resume is a fresh boot... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey guys. New to these forums, long time computer nerd scratching my head how to troubleshoot this one. My Asus ROG G750JS is a great machine ...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Monsieurtalbot, Aug 7, 2016.

1. From standby S3 mode, resume is a fresh boot...

Hey guys. New to these forums, long time computer nerd scratching my head how to troubleshoot this one.

My Asus ROG G750JS is a great machine ... Just updated to the anniversary update...

This problem has been something ive struggled with endlessly.

My laptop support page has several out of date drivers. I have this issue with stock drivers, windows recommended drivers as well as latest drivers I can personally dig up / driver booster latest.

No matter what the configuration over the last 2 major updates my S3 standby no longer works. My computer enters standby as normal... The power light blinks as if it's in standby... But when I resume the computer boots fresh.

I have an identical machine that belongs to a friend - hers works perfectly ... I've tried her same driver config with no luck... I've tried fresh formats multiple times... The problem persists. I've replaced my CMOS battery, I've re-flashed my bios. I used display driver uninstaller to remove and reinstall both my built in graphics drivers... I've tried realtek audio drivers...

I managed to fix it once with graphics drivers for my Intel 4700HQ (Intel HD graphics 4600) chip... On a previous windows 10 build... The computer also has an Nvidia 870m... For some reason every time there is a feature update... It gets messed up again... And my previous driver fix isn't doing anything this time.

Level 3 tech support at Microsoft tried to assist me remotely before my show at EDC (I do live visuals at big concerts with this machine)... Microsoft managed to destroy my partition table trying to help me. Don't ask me how... then tried to tell me my computer isn't windows 10 compatible... I spent the next 24 hours rushing to fix it.

In the interim I am using hibernation ... It works fine especially with my SSD... But I'd prefer S3 sleep so I can wake the computer with USB devices or my keyboard.

I know windows 10 is odd with drivers surviving across updates. Can someone give me some insight on

1. How to troubleshoot this... (I assume it's graphics related)

2. Hopefully a similar experience with a fix.

Thx in advance!

:)

Monsieurtalbot, Aug 7, 2016
  2. WillHogan Win User

Having issues with computer going into "sleep mode" after 2-3 minutes even though the settings are set to "never"

Here is the output: (should I expect something different?)

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States

Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer
    to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.

S1 Sleep Supported
    false

S2 Sleep Supported
    false

S3 Sleep Supported
    true

S4 Sleep Supported
    true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support

Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.

Connected Standby Supported
    false

WillHogan, Aug 7, 2016
  3. thtstr Win User
    Standby makes taskbar flicker, desktop malfunction, and icons corrupt

Hi,

Safe Mode is no use for replicating this problem, as there is no possibility of using Sleep/Standby in Safe Mode, and thus no way of resuming from Standby, which is when the problem occurs.

thtstr, Aug 7, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

From standby S3 mode, resume is a fresh boot...

Any difference in her memory config (bios settings, brand used, quantity installed)? You mentioned everything but memory in your comprehensive testing to date. I assume neither of you are overclocking; correct? If you have more than one stick of memory installed, you might try testing your S3 recovery with only one stick installed at a time. Who knows?

aardvark, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Memtest-ed all ram prior to this...

All 24Gb of it... Sorry. Forgot to mention that part.

No errors and no other issues with the pc at all to denote a ram issue. The sleep thing is isolated and again - I fixed it using a new Intel integrated graphics driver... But that fix is useless this time.

Monsieurtalbot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

From standby S3 mode, resume is a fresh boot...

1. From standby S3 mode, resume is a fresh boot... - Similar Threads - standby mode resume

2. why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??: why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??here is my event log code: 2022.5.27 10:38:14 Service Control Manager 7006 2022.5.27 10:37:50 Service Control Manager 7034 2022.5.27 10:37:47 Service Control Manager 7006 2022.5.27 10:37:46 Service Control Manager 7034 2022.5.27 10:37:45...
  3. why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??: why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??here is my event log code: 2022.5.27 10:38:14 Service Control Manager 7006 2022.5.27 10:37:50 Service Control Manager 7034 2022.5.27 10:37:47 Service Control Manager 7006 2022.5.27 10:37:46 Service Control Manager 7034 2022.5.27 10:37:45...
  4. why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop screen not automatically turning on after resume from standby

Laptop screen not automatically turning on after resume from standby: Hi everyone. When I wake my laptop from sleep S3, not modern standby everything starts working but the screen does not automatically turn on if I do not move the mouse/trackpad; then, everuthing works just fine. I have noticed that the screen does automatically turn on if a...
  6. SOLVED: Bluetooth Mouse, Webcam not working after resume from Standby!

SOLVED: Bluetooth Mouse, Webcam not working after resume from Standby!: Hi all! I was struggling with my Microsoft Bluetooth 3600 Mouse not connecting after my Inspiron 13 7306 was waking from Standby. It showed as connected, but didn't respond. Also, I was getting weird, intermittent problems with the built-in IR camera and night...
  7. Enable S3 Standby during Windows 10 installation

Enable S3 Standby during Windows 10 installation: Hello folks, How can I choose between S0 Modern Standby and S3 Legacy Standby modes during Windows 10 installation? I can't find any documentation related to this. I'm going to reinstall Windows 10 on my new Dell XPS 15 9500, but can't find any tutorial of how to enable S3...
  8. Bluetooth not working after resuming from sleep (Connected Standby disabled)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth not working after resuming from sleep (Connected Standby disabled): [ATTACH] Dell XPS 7590 i9, Windows 10 Pro 1909. I was having issues with Connected Standby in Windows 10 (Laptop wouldn't go to sleep properly, fans would start up every so often, laptop would suddenly wake up completely with screen coming on, closing the lid would wake...
  9. No sound after resuming computer from standby/sleep mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound after resuming computer from standby/sleep mode: Hi everyone, Since I last updated my graphics drivers, I have has an issue where my sound refuses to work. It acts like it is working (sound settings show the sound is supposedly happening, I just don't hear it). This can happen from start-up of the PC, or when the PC goes...
  10. Failure at resume from standby/hibernate: ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure at resume from standby/hibernate: ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0: Hi, sometimes i get a BSOD / Blackscreen when I resume from Hibernate/Standby. I ran Memtest and checked the temperatures. No Problems there. Also all drivers should be up to date AFAIK. I looked at the dumps with BlueScreenView and spotted a repeating Crash Adress:...