Windows 10: From Win 8.1 Home, reinstall automatically as Win 10 Pro, and can't activate

Discus and support From Win 8.1 Home, reinstall automatically as Win 10 Pro, and can't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Lenovo PC bought years ago, was on Win 8.1 until an update went wrong, and I had to reinstall. I followed the recommendations on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MorganSG, Nov 27, 2020.

1. MorganSG Win User

From Win 8.1 Home, reinstall automatically as Win 10 Pro, and can't activate

Hi,

I have a Lenovo PC bought years ago, was on Win 8.1 until an update went wrong, and I had to reinstall. I followed the recommendations on Windows' website, made a recovery thumbdrive, and it all went well.

Except that it now asks me to activate Windows, and that my key embedded only works for Win 10 Home.

1. I was never asked which version of Windows to install, I was fine with 8.1, but no choice.

2. I was never asked Home or Pro, the latter I don't want/need.

My question is, can I downgrade to Home? I've spent the last days reinstalling everything, trying to set up again my usual softwares, I really don't want to start from scratch again. I'd love to be able to chat with customer service, but I've been waiting for hours and still no one is available.

Thanks.

:)

MorganSG, Nov 27, 2020

2. Unable to Activate Win 8

I guess that's two of us with magic Windows 8 upgrade disks. *Laugh :laugh:

TheMailMan78, Nov 27, 2020
  3. RobCoxXA Win User
    Win 10 Pro upgrade using Win 8 Pro product key

I just bought a new computer running Win 10 Home. When I went to upgrade to Win 10 Pro using my Win 8 Pro product key from my old computer, the upgrade wouldn't activate.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of error messages (mainly 0xC004C003) and am being told windows isn't activated. I can't seem to get my activated Win 10 Home back.

I don't have a product key for the Win 10 Home because it came pre-installed. There's no product code recorded on the packaging or labelling on the device.

So:

How do I either

• activate the Win Pro upgrade, or
    • Get my activated Win 10 home back?

RobCoxXA, Nov 27, 2020
  4. From Win 8.1 Home, reinstall automatically as Win 10 Pro, and can't activate

Win 8 PRO activation

Here's my dilemma. My system crashed and had to install a new HDD. I upgraded my win 7 pro to win 8 pro. I did not have the win 7 pro disk so I started with a clean install of Win 8 pro upgrade. I cannot activate the product as this is an upgrade version.
    Is there anyway I can active Win 8 PRO or do I have to purchase a license key for this?

Regards

Mel Richter

rick-o-shay, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

From Win 8.1 Home, reinstall automatically as Win 10 Pro, and can't activate

1. From Win 8.1 Home, reinstall automatically as Win 10 Pro, and can't activate - Similar Threads - Home reinstall automatically

2. can't activate windows after upgrading [with a key] from win 10 home to win 11 pro....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't activate windows after upgrading [with a key] from win 10 home to win 11 pro....: Hello. After upgrading [with a key] from win 10 home to win 11 pro, win 11 did not activate when the upgrade process was completed. Troubleshooting says: I have a win home digital license, but win pro is installed. Please install win home....
  3. can't activate windows after upgrading [with a key] from win 10 home to win 11 pro....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't activate windows after upgrading [with a key] from win 10 home to win 11 pro....: Hello. After upgrading [with a key] from win 10 home to win 11 pro, win 11 did not activate when the upgrade process was completed. Troubleshooting says: I have a win home digital license, but win pro is installed. Please install win home....
  4. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  5. Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi I have Dell inspiron 5670 and running windows 10 home. I purchased windows 10 pro via storehaven't got any product key and when I tried installing it says it can't finish the upgrade and the error code is - 0xc004f200 I purchased this laptop with the windows 10 home...
  6. upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro: Hi there, just bought a upgrade to PRO for my Lenovo Legion y720, purchased through Microsoft store. download and install finished without a hitch until i noticed the activate windows text appeared on my screen, then i tried to do the activate windows manually and there i...
  7. Win 10 Pro reinstalls as Win 10 Home

Win 10 Pro reinstalls as Win 10 Home: I've seen a lot of posts but none that fit what I'm facing. I have an HP Envy that came with Win 8.1 Pro w/ MCE. It was upgraded to Win 10 Pro some time ago. During that process it had me remove the MCE since Win 10 didn't have it which was fine since it wasn't being used....
  8. Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro: I have just purchased this upgrade inside Microsoft Store. However, when I go to Activation -> Go to the store -> Install, it says "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade". Something! No error code, no hint, not even a log in the event viewer, NO-TH-IN-G! I tried...
  9. activation of win 10 home with a win 10 pro key

activation of win 10 home with a win 10 pro key: hello 10ers! i have tablet running win 10 and a licence for it too. win 10 home is preinstalled on my device. i just need to enter the code off my licence to activate it. however, i have a full licence on the way to me for win 10 pro. can i activate my win 10 home...
  10. Reinstalling Win 10 starting from a Win 8 license

Reinstalling Win 10 starting from a Win 8 license: Hi, I have a Win 8 license, am running 8.1. If I upgrade to Win 10, then need to reinstall from scratch, where would I start? Starting from Win 8 would be horrendous! Thanks. 3677