Windows 10: Front panel audio out + mic not working (Realtek 1220 on MSI mb)

Discus and support Front panel audio out + mic not working (Realtek 1220 on MSI mb) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, Hoping for some solid help here with with my new Ryzen build... Reddit didn't have the answer (so far) and MSI Forums neither, but I realised... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BotdogX, Oct 6, 2019.

1. BotdogX Win User

Front panel audio out + mic not working (Realtek 1220 on MSI mb)

Hi all,

Hoping for some solid help here with with my new Ryzen build... Reddit didn't have the answer (so far) and MSI Forums neither, but I realised that Tenforums have this excellent Sounds and Audio section *Smile Fingers crossed, because right now I'm totally stuck - and reading here it seems that Realtek in general can be tricky...

Problem - from the front panel jacks, I get no audio out nor does the mic work. Audio out from the rear panel works, as does the mic. I have a speaker setup which I need to connect to the rear panel.

My build is brand new, consisting of MSI MEG X570 ACE (so Realtek 1220 audio), Ryzen 3700X, MSI 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, G.Skill 3200C14 2x16Gb, Samsung EVO 970+ and all that is housed in a Fractal Define R6. I installed Windows 10 Pro fresh. I've upgraded to latest (non-beta) BIOS from the MSI site.

So what I've done (roughly in order):
    - Right after first Windows boot, installed all the latest MSI drivers incl the Realtek audio one. No audio on front panel jacks.
    - Uninstalled all Realtek drivers/software, downloaded a (slightly) newer Realtek driver from Station Driver and installed. No audio from front jacks.
    - Uninstalled, cleansed the system acc to Realtek Audio Console REQUIRES a Realtek HD (UAD) Driver!!
    - Reinstalled the MSI drivers - and of ocurse no audio from front jacks.
    - Obviously checked the cabling. It's "HD Audio", connected to the right MB contact, and the connector sits firmly in place (I've pulled it off and pushed it back on again a couple of times).
    - Tried unplugging the headphones & mic and plugging them in only after WIndows has started (suggestion found on the net somewhere)

*Mad*Mad*Mad

The weird thing is that I can see that the jacks are detected, ie when I insert the headphones it properly detects the headphones and same with the mic... Just no audio output. To me that means that the jacks themselves are working, as is the MB? I've been looking for an "audio level" to adjust somewhere, but the Realtek device is just one single device (plus the Digital Output one) with just one level.

A quick google revelas that this is apparently very common, but there seems to be a bazillion different more or less helpful hints, suggestions et.c. The reasonable ones are the ones I've tried... without success. My previous build with an ASUS Z170 Deluxe mb also had Realtek and front panel jacks, never had a single issue with those over the four years I've had the build.

Anyone....??

:)

BotdogX, Oct 6, 2019
  2. BotdogX Win User

Hi all,

Hoping for some solid help here with with my new Ryzen build... Reddit didn't have the answer (so far) and MSI Forums neither, but I realised that Tenforums have this excellent Sounds and Audio section *Smile Fingers crossed, because right now I'm totally stuck - and reading here it seems that Realtek in general can be tricky...

Problem - from the front panel jacks, I get no audio out nor does the mic work. Audio out from the rear panel works, as does the mic. I have a speaker setup which I need to connect to the rear panel.

My build is brand new, consisting of MSI MEG X570 ACE (so Realtek 1220 audio), Ryzen 3700X, MSI 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, G.Skill 3200C14 2x16Gb, Samsung EVO 970+ and all that is housed in a Fractal Define R6. I installed Windows 10 Pro fresh. I've upgraded to latest (non-beta) BIOS from the MSI site.

So what I've done (roughly in order):
    - Right after first Windows boot, installed all the latest MSI drivers incl the Realtek audio one. No audio on front panel jacks.
    - Uninstalled all Realtek drivers/software, downloaded a (slightly) newer Realtek driver from Station Driver and installed. No audio from front jacks.
    - Uninstalled, cleansed the system acc to Realtek Audio Console REQUIRES a Realtek HD (UAD) Driver!!
    - Reinstalled the MSI drivers - and of ocurse no audio from front jacks.
    - Obviously checked the cabling. It's "HD Audio", connected to the right MB contact, and the connector sits firmly in place (I've pulled it off and pushed it back on again a couple of times).
    - Tried unplugging the headphones & mic and plugging them in only after WIndows has started (suggestion found on the net somewhere)

*Mad*Mad*Mad

The weird thing is that I can see that the jacks are detected, ie when I insert the headphones it properly detects the headphones and same with the mic... Just no audio output. To me that means that the jacks themselves are working, as is the MB? I've been looking for an "audio level" to adjust somewhere, but the Realtek device is just one single device (plus the Digital Output one) with just one level.

A quick google revelas that this is apparently very common, but there seems to be a bazillion different more or less helpful hints, suggestions et.c. The reasonable ones are the ones I've tried... without success. My previous build with an ASUS Z170 Deluxe mb also had Realtek and front panel jacks, never had a single issue with those over the four years I've had the build.

Anyone....??

BotdogX, Oct 6, 2019
  3. vindows Win User
    Front Panel Headphones and Mic not working.

Hey Everyone,

Mobo : ASUS M2N MX SE
    Processor : AMD Athlon X2 5200+

My Rear panel Speakers and mic works all fine. I got a new set of headphones(with mic) when i connect it to the front panel they don't work. NO SOUND OUTPUT.

I updated the audio drivers. I tried a few many things but I still can't get them running.
    My default Sound Manager is Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Please help me get my Front Panel working. A step-by-step guide would be better.
    Thanks.

vindows, Oct 6, 2019
  4. MatTheCat Win User

Front Panel Headphones and Mic not working.

Sounds like your front panel is not connected to the front panel outputs on either your motherboard or your sound card.

Afraid its a case of referring to your mobo manual and a matter of getting a pair of pliers out and plugging in small finicky wires onto tiny little pins...in the correct order.

MatTheCat, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Front panel audio out + mic not working (Realtek 1220 on MSI mb) - Similar Threads - Front panel audio

2. front panel jack doesnt work bc of enabled "disable front panel jack " in realtek audio...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    front panel jack doesnt work bc of enabled "disable front panel jack " in realtek audio...: my front panel jack doesnt work because the option ' disable front panel jack ' is enabled in the realtek audio console but i thought it would help me if i deleted it realtek audibut it made it worse and now i cant download the realtek audio console cause my microsoft store...
  3. front panel jack doesnt work bc of enabled "disable front panel jack " in realtek audio...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    front panel jack doesnt work bc of enabled "disable front panel jack " in realtek audio...: my front panel jack doesnt work because the option ' disable front panel jack ' is enabled in the realtek audio console but i thought it would help me if i deleted it realtek audibut it made it worse and now i cant download the realtek audio console cause my microsoft store...
  4. front panel jack doesnt work bc of enabled "disable front panel jack " in realtek audio...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 3.5mm front panel mic not working properly.

3.5mm front panel mic not working properly.: I have a front panel 3.5mm audio jack input for 4 pin Audio and Mic handfree earphone, the earphone work fine in my cellphone. In the computer only audio; the mic sounds with a lot of static and I dont hear my voice not even a little bit. I try to:-Chance all the settings in...
  6. 5mm front panel mic not working properly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    5mm front panel mic not working properly.: I have a front panel 5mm audio jack input for 4 pin Audio and Mic handfree earphone, the earphone work fine in my cellphone. In the computer only audio; the mic sounds with a lot of static and I dont hear my voice not even a little bit. I try to:-Chance all the settings in...
  7. 5mm front panel mic not working properly.

5mm front panel mic not working properly.: I have a front panel 5mm audio jack input for 4 pin Audio and Mic handfree earphone, the earphone work fine in my cellphone. In the computer only audio; the mic sounds with a lot of static and I dont hear my voice not even a little bit. I try to:-Chance all the settings in...
  8. Front panel audio not working

Front panel audio not working: So, just like my last PC case, my front panel audio for some reason isn't working, I thought it was my PC case, but i have gotten an entirely new case, and motherboard. I have triple checked that all front panel devices are in fact plugged in. Uninstalled my sound drivers,...
  9. realtek front panel no audio

realtek front panel no audio: so i just make my first pc build. and after everything thing i found out that the front panel audio and mic are not working. first of, even after updating it it did not install realtek hd audio manager. so i found it downloaded it. and after when i did open, it was opened in...
  10. Realtek Audio: Front Panel Audio only works if back panel is plugged in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek Audio: Front Panel Audio only works if back panel is plugged in: Front panel audio only works if the back panel audio is plugged in. There are outputs in both headphones when the front and back panel audio are plugged in. Back panel audio works fine. I have Realtek (R) Audio, instead of Realtek HD Audio. Similarly, only Realtek Audio...