Windows 10: Frozen Cursor

Discus and support Frozen Cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I run Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926 on an eMachines netbook eM350. I had it running since the previous Build, but the cursor is now frozen, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FrozenCursor, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Frozen Cursor

I run Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926 on an eMachines netbook eM350. I had it running since the previous Build, but the cursor is now frozen, I don't know why.

I then tried to re-install the previous OS, Windows 7 Starter. I got to the point of having to agree to the EULA, but I could not navigate the frozen cursor to tick off the box, and I had to shut off the power.

The netbook can still be booted to Windows 10 Technical Preview, I can still logon, but the cursor remains frozen.

Any ideas on how to get the netbook running again, with Windows 7 or 10 ? Thanks!

:)

FrozenCursor, Apr 7, 2015

2. screen is frozen, cursor is not working

screen is frozen cursor is not working

vladimirbondar, Apr 7, 2015
  3. Frozen Cursor Windows 10

How do we do that if our cursor is frozen?!

SiennaBrown, Apr 7, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Frozen Cursor

Hi frozencursor, welcome to the forums, disconnect the mains, remove the battery, press power button for 10-20 secs, leave the netbook to rest for few minutes, then put the battery, connect the mains and see whether it helps.

brummyfan, Apr 7, 2015
  5. Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, after doing the procedure several times, the cursor is still frozen. The cursor sometimes disappears. Sometimes, a message on the bottom right hand corner of the screen slides in (and out) saying that I need to click it and re-enter my Microsoft account password. Of course I can't click the message with the frozen or invisible cursor.

Any further ideas?

FrozenCursor, Apr 7, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    Do you have any other USB peripherals plugged in? If so try, unplugging it.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2015
  7. Charlie Win User
    Are you using a usb mouse?

Charlie, Apr 7, 2015
  8. Frozen Cursor

I never use a mouse with the netbook, I always use its trackpad. I do use USB sticks, but even without any USB sticks plugged in and reboot, the cursor is stuck in the centre of the screen (or not visible)

Is there a way to reformat the hard disk then re-install the OS?

FrozenCursor, Apr 8, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    what is the brand and model of your laptop? maybe you just need to re- install the original driver.

Edit:

I saw your pc brand and model from your first post.
    Original drivers are available for download:

Here: Download Center ( ALL Products )

Frozen Cursor [​IMG]

badrobot, Apr 8, 2015
  10. Thanks, but the stumbling block for re-installing drivers is the frozen cursor. I manage to open the Device Manager by typing in the Search Box in the Taskbar of Windows 10 Technical Preview. But with a frozen (or invisible) cursor, I can't navigate to the 'Mice and other pointing devices' to open it, etc.

Previously, I tried to re-install the original OS (Windows 7 Starter) but I couldn't do it because of the same frozen (or invisible) cursor problem.

I am thus basically looking for a way to re-install either drivers or OS without using the cursor.

11. badrobot Win User
    Why do you have to stick with the touchpad? Use a mouse just until you got it sorted out. Then go back to touchpad. Get a cheap one from dollar store. It's always handy to have one.

badrobot, Apr 8, 2015
  12. Charlie Win User
    Have you booted to safe mode. You might be able to boot with networking and find the right driver. That is assuming that you are able to navigate.

Charlie, Apr 8, 2015
  13. Frozen Cursor

Very true! I was able to work the issues with a mouse, first in Windows 10 Technical Preview, then (after re-install of the original OS) in Windows 7 Starter. Same problem with either OS: Device Manager says 'device is working properly' (for all 3 available touchpad drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's website) but the touchpad and its buttons don't work (mouse and its buttons work).

Can a hardware defect knock out the touchpad AND its buttons (3 parts) at the same time? *Sad

14. badrobot Win User
    I am not sure but is it possible that your netbook has a physical button that you accidentally toggled on to disable the touchpad? My old hp laptop has one.

badrobot, Apr 8, 2015
  15. That was the right hint, badrobot, thank you, thank you! The toggle is Fn + F7 as per

I got my mouse back *Biggrin *Biggrin *Biggrin

Thank you to all who commented!

Edit: Great forum! I am impressed! I have marked the thread as solved *Cool

FrozenCursor, Apr 9, 2015
Thema:

Frozen Cursor

1. Frozen Cursor - Similar Threads - Frozen Cursor

2. Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor,...: Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor, can't shut the computer off completely thr sides still blinking how to fix it please...
  3. Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor,...: Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor, can't shut the computer off completely thr sides still blinking how to fix it please...
  4. Windows 10 laptop frozen suddenly went to a gray screen and now its black with cursor,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. windows 11 has a black screen with frozen mouse cursor after going out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 has a black screen with frozen mouse cursor after going out of sleep mode: so hey yalli had an issue with my device on 2 different windows installswindows 10 and windows 11every few days 5-7 daysmy laptop would overheat with the fan going on max speed while being in sleep modeafter opening the laptop it has a black screen with a frozen mouse cursor...
  6. windows 11 has a black screen with frozen mouse cursor after going out of sleep mode

windows 11 has a black screen with frozen mouse cursor after going out of sleep mode: so hey yalli had an issue with my device on 2 different windows installswindows 10 and windows 11every few days 5-7 daysmy laptop would overheat with the fan going on max speed while being in sleep modeafter opening the laptop it has a black screen with a frozen mouse cursor...
  7. Cursor has been frozen for a few days now. Why is this happening and what are some good...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor has been frozen for a few days now. Why is this happening and what are some good...: I am not sure exactly what caused this. I installed Windows 8.1 on my computer and after it was finished, my cursor stopped moving. It teleports randomly across the screen sometimes, the F keys won’t work, and I can’t click anything. What are some solutions to this....
  8. Cursor has been frozen for a few days now. Why is this happening and what are some good...

Cursor has been frozen for a few days now. Why is this happening and what are some good...: I am not sure exactly what caused this. I installed Windows 8.1 on my computer and after it was finished, my cursor stopped moving. It teleports randomly across the screen sometimes, the F keys won’t work, and I can’t click anything. What are some solutions to this....
  9. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen: New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert wireless trackball but I have tried removing it and it's associated software. Removed it from Device manager. It still happens...
  10. Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor intermittently freezes and is jittery when frozen: New build PC. Mouse will occasionally freeze and is jittery while frozen. Switching to a different mouse has no affect. I use a Kensington Expert wireless trackball but I have tried removing it and it's associated software. Removed it from Device manager. It still happens...