Windows 10: Frozen desktop

Discus and support Frozen desktop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; We have a Dell Alienware desktop that is frozen and unresponsive. We tried all the simple solutions from the internet up to resetting to a save point a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by smom6, Jan 9, 2019.

1. smom6 Win User

Frozen desktop

We have a Dell Alienware desktop that is frozen and unresponsive. We tried all the simple solutions from the internet up to resetting to a save point a week earlier which worked for about 5 minutes. Are there any suggestions before we get to reinstalling Windows? Thank you

:)

smom6, Jan 9, 2019

2. Frozen before desktop

My 2 year old computer did a windows 10 update overnight and I woke up to a frozen computer. It is stuck right before the desktop. I cannot do anything. I've pressed the normal buttons one would press and Nada.
    Rebooted by way of the power button. Boots to the same screen before the desktop and freezes. I cannot get into startmenu to get to safe mode.
    Any suggestions? F8 and F11 are not working.

Randommadness, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Frozen Computer

Hi,

We would like to know the status of the concern you have posted here in the Community forum. Kindly answer the following questions for us to provide you with an accurate troubleshooting suggestions.

• When you turn your computer ON, on what screen does it freezes? If you can, kindly post here the screen shot of this frozen window.
    • Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to encountering this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jan 9, 2019
  4. SlickNutz Win User

Frozen desktop

Top Secret: Windows 10 and the Frozen Desktop

Is it possible, if I take a screen shot of a Windows 10 desktop session with everything minimized and set that as the desktop background, to:

• make all real desktop icons disappear,
    • hide taskbar so it stays hidden,

this would make it appear as if the mouse works but everything else does not respond on the desktop view when clicked?

Why?

I have a technical need to set up random desktop workstations in this manner for a special "top secret" project at work to see how certain employees respond and report incidents and issues for compliance adherence to a new company policy when malfunctioning systems occur.

Details

The computers are regular desktop computers with Windows 10 joined to a domian in an AD environment and I have full domain admin access to everything from login scripts, to GPO's, and on and on. I will accept and test all methods (scripts, Group Policy settings, manual steps on the desktop session doing this, and on and on) suggested to pick the best method for my need. Since I have a deadline months out for the first real run, I figured I'd ask some experts or regular people for some suggestions on this task.

Undo Optional

If you have a method to undo this for the method you advise that would be great but it's not required and I'll figure that part out but the easier for me the better for setting it up and undoing it for all methods I'll test.

SlickNutz, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Frozen desktop

1. Frozen desktop - Similar Threads - Frozen desktop

2. PC Desktop frozen and blacking out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Desktop frozen and blacking out: My work computer suddenly froze midday yesterday. Taskbar hidden. Cursor moves but nothing happens when I click on any desktop icon or right click on desktop. Monitor alternates black out every few second. Ironically, if I "switch user" and log in as my predecessor,...
  3. PC Desktop frozen and blacking out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Desktop frozen and blacking out: My work computer suddenly froze midday yesterday. Taskbar hidden. Cursor moves but nothing happens when I click on any desktop icon or right click on desktop. Monitor alternates black out every few second. Ironically, if I "switch user" and log in as my predecessor,...
  4. Windows 11 upgrade ad is frozen on desktop to far right and to low to click out of

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade ad is frozen on desktop to far right and to low to click out of: My older windows 10 was sent a free upgrade ad for windows 11 even though I have opted out several times. This time the ad is to far to the right and down making it impossible for me click any buttons. How do I get rid of it and back to my original desktop?...
  5. Windows 11 upgrade ad is frozen on desktop to far right and to low to click out of

Windows 11 upgrade ad is frozen on desktop to far right and to low to click out of: My older windows 10 was sent a free upgrade ad for windows 11 even though I have opted out several times. This time the ad is to far to the right and down making it impossible for me click any buttons. How do I get rid of it and back to my original desktop?...
  6. Windows 11 upgrade ad is frozen on desktop to far right and to low to click out of

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Frozen desktop and taskbar, UWP apps won't run and windows short keys not working after...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Frozen desktop and taskbar, UWP apps won't run and windows short keys not working after...: HiI set my laptop to turn off the display after 5 minutes not to sleep or hibernate, recently after leaving it for about an hour or longer, when I trigger it to get back the screen on, the taskbar is frozen with loading cursor, right click on desktop and pressing win, win+R,...
  8. Frozen desktop and taskbar, UWP apps won't run and windows short keys not working after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen desktop and taskbar, UWP apps won't run and windows short keys not working after...: HiI set my laptop to turn off the display after 5 minutes not to sleep or hibernate, recently when I press a key or touch the touchpad to turn the screen on, taskbar is frozen with loading cursor. Basically, everything is there but the UI is broken. win, win+R, win+E, even...
  9. Frozen desktop and taskbar, UWP apps won't run and windows short keys not working after...

Frozen desktop and taskbar, UWP apps won't run and windows short keys not working after...: HiI set my laptop to turn off the display after 5 minutes not to sleep or hibernate, recently when I press a key or touch the touchpad to turn the screen on, taskbar is frozen with loading cursor. Basically, everything is there but the UI is broken. win, win+R, win+E, even...
  10. My desktop is frozen then after a few minutes crashes all the time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop is frozen then after a few minutes crashes all the time.: I've been experiencing this problem from yesterday and i can't seem to find any solution since I couldn't event click on anything, I can move my cursor but i can't click on anything nor use any key binds shortcuts or open any programs such as task manager, even the taskbar...