Windows 10: Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working

Discus and support Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently bought a new computer (Ideapad 330S) and everything was fine until I opened it this morning. The taskbar is frozen - when I mouse over any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Allyx_P, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Allyx_P Win User

Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working

I recently bought a new computer (Ideapad 330S) and everything was fine until I opened it this morning. The taskbar is frozen - when I mouse over any of the icons, the loading symbol comes up and clicking on start, cortana, notifications, etc does nothing. If I right click, the menu appears, but I can't access any of the options.

I looked up ways to fix the problem, and a few involve using the task manager. The only problem is I've tried opening task manager in at least 5 different ways, none of which worked. Ctrl+Alt+Delete, using a command, Ctrl+Shift+Esc, you name it and I tried it. It doesn't open and 10 minutes later I get a message that the application timed out.

I should also note that the usual startup apps also didn't open and I got a timed out message for them.

I have restarted my computer.

How can I fix this?

Edit: I tried to run cmd as an administrator and that also timed out.

:)

Allyx_P, Dec 12, 2018
  2. zoranr64 Win User

Taskbar frozen

Win 10 build 1607 after few months without problem, now, taskbar frozen constantly every 30 minutes. Not help scan disk for errors. Every time I must from Task Manager to restart Win Explorer. Why?

zoranr64, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Windows 10, Taskbar frozen

Hi Richard,

There are multiple reasons why Windows Taskbar freezes. Before we proceed, we would like to confirm if you have already tried
    restarting Windows Explorer as suggested by ArchitKhandelwal on
    February 8, 2017. If the issue persists, you can follow the methods provided below:

Method 1: Use Powershell

Use the Powershell command to unfreeze the frozen taskbar by following the steps below:

1. Press and hold the
    Windows logo key + R.

2. Type
    powershell
    in the Run dialog box.

3. Hit
    Enter

4. Type the following command line:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}.

5. Hit
    Enter

Take note that you have to enable the Windows Firewall before performing the task above. Here are the steps on how to check if the Windows Firewall was enabled:

1. Open
    Task Manager

2. Click
    More Details

3. Select the
    Services tab.

4. Make sure that
    MpsSvc, also described as Windows Firewall, is running.

Method 2: Enable the User Manager.

A disabled User Manager sometimes results in a frozen Windows taskbar. To re-enable the User Manager, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold
    Windows logo key + R.

2. Type
    services.msc

3. Double-click the
    User Manager.

4. Set the
    Startup type
    to Automatic.

5. Hit
    OK

6. Restart the computer.

Method 3: Disable Recently Opened Items.

Disabling the recently opened items helps to speed up the list launch. To disable items that are recently opened, follow the instruction below:

1. Go to
    Settings

2. Select
    Personalization

3. Click
    Start

4. Slide the toggle button beside
    Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Star or the taskbar to turn it off.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Kristine Arp, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working

Windows 10, Taskbar frozen

i have tried all above solution but the problem still exists. please help....Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working :(

Mughal Zaheer Ud Din, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working

1. Frozen Taskbar and Task Manager Not Working - Similar Threads - Frozen Taskbar Task

2. Windows 10 Taskbar Frozen every few days, Task Manager doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Taskbar Frozen every few days, Task Manager doesn't work: Every 2 days or so, the taskbar would freeze. When that happens, I can't click on application icons in the taskbar, tab between applications using Alt + Tab, or open Task Mgr with Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Edge also stops loading websites every tab becomes a blank page. Basically,...
  3. Windows 10 Taskbar Frozen every few days, Task Manager doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Taskbar Frozen every few days, Task Manager doesn't work: Every 2 days or so, the taskbar would freeze. When that happens, I can't click on application icons in the taskbar, tab between applications using Alt + Tab, or open Task Mgr with Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Edge also stops loading websites every tab becomes a blank page. Basically,...
  4. Windows 10 Taskbar Frozen every few days, Task Manager doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. TASKBAR NOT WORKING / FROZEN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TASKBAR NOT WORKING / FROZEN: A couple of days ago Everytime I start my pc, it leads me to the desktop with no apps in taskbar. Everything else is frozen. I can't click on anything at all. Whenever I click anywhere mutiple times, It stops responding automatically and go all whitish and come back with no...
  6. TASKBAR NOT WORKING / FROZEN

TASKBAR NOT WORKING / FROZEN: A couple of days ago Everytime I start my pc, it leads me to the desktop with no apps in taskbar. Everything else is frozen. I can't click on anything at all. Whenever I click anywhere mutiple times, It stops responding automatically and go all whitish and come back with no...
  7. TASKBAR NOT WORKING / FROZEN

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 desktop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  9. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 desktop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  10. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open