Windows 10: Frustrating AutoPlay behavior

Discus and support Frustrating AutoPlay behavior in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got a new gaming PC, all with latest BIOS, drivers and Windows 10 updates. I have Auto Play configured properly, but it doesn't work as it should.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jmikef, Jan 6, 2016.

1. jmikef Win User

Frustrating AutoPlay behavior

I've got a new gaming PC, all with latest BIOS, drivers and Windows 10 updates. I have Auto Play configured properly, but it doesn't work as it should.

When I insert a disc into the DVD drive, the system will respond (lights on DVD player and HD flash), but then the PC just sits there....... until I open File Explorer a minute of two later, when the process resumes and the appropriate action takes place.

I have to open File Explorer for Auto Play to work properly. *Confused

I'm scratching my head to figure out this one. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx.

:)

jmikef, Jan 6, 2016

2. autoplay doesn't work after loading windows 10

this solution does not work. tried above suggestion and changes to autoplay in control panel. then the group policy admin template settings. nothing works to enable autoplay. i'm on clean install of windows 10 PRO x64.

actual behavior: plug in SD card, drive shows up in this PC, no pop up asking for autoplay or in notification center. right clicking on drive, no option to trigger autoplay.

expected: after plugging in SD card, either autoplay notification or the right click menu contains autoplay button.

Badger_Badger_Badger, Jan 6, 2016
  3. No auto play since Windows 10

Which one of the auto play settings did you use, the modern one or the classic autoplay from Control Panel?

Press Windows key + Q

Type: autoplay

Hit Enter

Make sure the Use Autoplay for all media and devices is toggled on.

You can also press Windows key + X > Control Panel > Autoplay then set the behavior for the device there.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 6, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Private, Jan 6, 2016
  5. jmikef Win User
    After checking around, I see that many folks are having similar problems with Auto Play not working properly for CD/DVD drives. I learned that if I want notification when I insert media hardware, I must have the "Safely Remove . . ." icon visible - only then, when I insert a USB device, will File Manager open.

jmikef, Jan 8, 2016
  6. jmikef Win User
    Ah - FINALLY! The solution is simple. There is a belief that setting a registry value will fix this:

Well, what did the trick for me was to rename the key to:
    "XNoDriveTypeAutoRun . . . " because changing the dword did not fix the issue.

jmikef, Jan 10, 2016
  7. Jmartz Win User
    My Registry does not have that Key at all. I read somewhere that if it doesn't have that's ok, it's just that sometimes if it does have it the value is set wrong. So i don't know what I should do now.

Jmartz, Feb 14, 2016
  8. jmikef Win User

It wasn't the solution that I though it was. I'm working with MS to do troubleshooting.

jmikef, Feb 14, 2016
  9. Jmartz Win User
    Jmartz, Feb 14, 2016
  10. Jmartz Win User
    Here's something interesting. If I restart the computer, the first time i put a disc in the drive it works as you would expect it to, depending on your autoplay settings. But anytime after that first time it just does nothing until you try to read from the drive in File Explorer. If you double click the D:/ drive icon it will spin up the drive and display the contents of that new disc I put in. Sometimes when it does that autoplay will pop up also but not always.

So maybe it's a problem with Explorer not refreshing and not so much with autoplay???

Jmartz, Feb 14, 2016
  11. jmikef Win User
    jmartz, you describe exactly what I'm experiencing. We are legion.

jmikef, Feb 14, 2016
  12. Jmartz Win User
    have you done a complete new installation of Win 10? The person in thread I posted a link to earlier said that fixed his. He had the Dell computer series as mine. To me it's crazy to have to do that to a brand new machine though.

Jmartz, Feb 14, 2016
  13. jmikef Win User

Yes I did, to no avail.

jmikef, Feb 14, 2016
  14. Jmartz Win User
    What's really frustrating is I have a 5 year old Gateway laptop that I upgraded to Win 10 fro Win 7 four or five months ago that works just fine. and this Dell is less than 10 days old and completely updated, but it's not working! Eeeerrrr!

Jmartz, Feb 14, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just found this worked for me:

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.
    (Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (admin) )

2. Copy/type the following and enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

My DVD drive was then automatically recognised. Yippee.

Solved Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    ======================

Alternative:
    I used a tiny Autohotkey script to poll the DVD drive whilst autoplay wasn't working. That worked too.

dalchina, May 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Frustrating AutoPlay behavior - Similar Threads - Frustrating AutoPlay behavior

2. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  3. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  4. Autoplay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoplay: I want my memory stick to run an autorun file when I put the stick into my computer. I get the 3 standard questions pop up, but none of them allow me to run the autorun file. what do I need to do?...
  5. Autoplay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoplay: I want my memory stick to run an autorun file when I put the stick into my computer. I get the 3 standard questions pop up, but none of them allow me to run the autorun file. what do I need to do?...
  6. Frustrated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frustrated: submitted by /u/mlgraves [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgrvza/frustrated/
  7. autoplay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    autoplay: I have windows 10. is there a bug in windows that autoplay doesn't work anymore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay/411857e1-5470-47cb-8c15-c008c335437f
  8. Autoplay

Autoplay: At one time I had "Leawo" blue ray software installed in my desktop so I could watch Blu-ray movies on my Blu-ray optical internal CD/DVD drive. Just experimenting. Well anyway after completely uninstalling the Leawo software I've noticed that when I go to control panel and...
  9. autoplay

autoplay: hi I cant get autoplay to work ive been to devises and turned on but it still don't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay/016c373e-e831-4510-9e63-ba32b9d3c8a9
  10. Autoplay

Autoplay: Since installing the spring 2018 update for windows 10 neither of my two CD drives will play/autoplay How do I cure this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay/bcc5bc7b-8eda-447d-a054-29534ecbb524