Windows 10: frustrating

Discus and support frustrating in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i have a new HP laptop that i bought last month for school. it has windows 10 on it. last few days though, when i close the lid to hibernate it, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by amanda38, Mar 6, 2016.

1. amanda38 Win User

frustrating

i have a new HP laptop that i bought last month for school. it has windows 10 on it. last few days though, when i close the lid to hibernate it, it closes all my tabs and Chrome, my microsoft office, anything that is open, it will close. i dont always bookmark places. i leave everything open so i can get back to work quickly. but i cant do that now and i guess my question is, is there a way to fix this?? it takes me forever to find where i was and it takes me forever to get back to work.

:)

amanda38, Mar 6, 2016

2. Frustrated

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

This might have occurred due to some third party application conflicts.

Try the methods.

Method 1: Start computer in safe mode and then perform clean boot.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 8.1 (through Charms Bar), hold down the
    Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click
    Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit Advanced options followed by Windows Startup Settings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands apply:

F4 for Safe Mode

F5 for Safe Mode with Networking

F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows Startup Settings (including
    safe mode)

Step 2: Perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan,
    refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if that helps.

Refer to the Link given below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-10

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Mar 6, 2016
  3. Cisnereal Win User
    Frustration

Hello ceroberts75,

I have tried it via the Ovi Store. Will try again and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Cisnereal, Mar 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

frustrating

Try Settings, search for Power, select Power Options, then you should see

frustrating [​IMG]

Click 'Choose what closing the lid does'

That's not new in Win 10- been there for years in the Control Panel.

(Don't know why your setting changed though).
    You can check you have hibernate enabled:
    Click Power in your Win 10 start menu and check Hibernate is one of the options.

dalchina, Mar 6, 2016
  5. amanda38 Win User
    see here is the thing, it never did it before. when i close the lid, it hibernates. and it wouldnt close my programs. but now it does. i dont want to leave it on all the time. thats why i havent changed it. i have kids and pets here that like to get into things. i cant afford to have anything happen to my paper that i am writing for school. guess i will figure something else out. ty

amanda38, Mar 6, 2016
  6. AndreyT Win User
    That's great and stuff, but let's get back to the rational world. Again, what does your "Choose what closing the lid does" setting say?

AndreyT, Mar 6, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Do nothing, sleep, hibernate, shut down.

Make sure you have hibernate enabled. That's the rational world for you.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

frustrating

1. frustrating - Similar Threads - frustrating

2. win.11, update stuck ---- frustration.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win.11, update stuck ---- frustration.: Spent hours upgrading from w.10 to w.11. There has got to be a better way. Searched this forum and the web, then tried suggestion A, then researched some more and tried B, C, etc.. FINALLY worked after I un-installed 3 apps:Team ViewerNitroVM playerThen ran the troubleshooter...
  3. win.11, update stuck ---- frustration.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win.11, update stuck ---- frustration.: Spent hours upgrading from w.10 to w.11. There has got to be a better way. Searched this forum and the web, then tried suggestion A, then researched some more and tried B, C, etc.. FINALLY worked after I un-installed 3 apps:Team ViewerNitroVM playerThen ran the troubleshooter...
  4. Windows Mail keeps logging me out and its frustrating me!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail keeps logging me out and its frustrating me!: Ever since recently A few days to a week or so, Windows mail seems to always log me out. Its stressing me. It worked fine before this.I use the newest version.https://gyazo.com/0b8eae0cc1473acd85622339a92403d4Sometimes I stay a seconth logged in, sometimes a little bit...
  5. Windows Mail keeps logging me out and its frustrating me!

Windows Mail keeps logging me out and its frustrating me!: Ever since recently A few days to a week or so, Windows mail seems to always log me out. Its stressing me. It worked fine before this.I use the newest version.https://gyazo.com/0b8eae0cc1473acd85622339a92403d4Sometimes I stay a seconth logged in, sometimes a little bit...
  6. This is starting to get frustrating. Why does Windows keep adding new keyboards?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This is starting to get frustrating. Why does Windows keep adding new keyboards?!: I tried to live with it, but it is so annoying. I have a Czech copy of Windows 11 pro on my PC, set to english. I like to use the Czech QWERTY keyboard layout, because it has all the characters like ěščřžýáíé, but it also uses QWERTY idk why Czech defaults to QWERTZ anyways....
  7. This is starting to get frustrating. Why does Windows keep adding new keyboards?!

This is starting to get frustrating. Why does Windows keep adding new keyboards?!: I tried to live with it, but it is so annoying. I have a Czech copy of Windows 11 pro on my PC, set to english. I like to use the Czech QWERTY keyboard layout, because it has all the characters like ěščřžýáíé, but it also uses QWERTY idk why Czech defaults to QWERTZ anyways....
  8. Windows freezes daily and It is so frustrating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows freezes daily and It is so frustrating: I tried all sorts of solutions available in the internet in order to fix the random freezing issue and crashing instantly.I increased Vram appropriately still it did not work,I ran sfc scan and chkdsk , dism commands in terminal so many times and there are no issues in it.I...
  9. Windows freezes daily and It is so frustrating

Windows freezes daily and It is so frustrating: I tried all sorts of solutions available in the internet in order to fix the random freezing issue and crashing instantly.I increased Vram appropriately still it did not work,I ran sfc scan and chkdsk , dism commands in terminal so many times and there are no issues in it.I...
  10. One drive is frustrating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive is frustrating: I don't EVER want to use one drive. But every time I copy something to my computer it says one drive is full. I don't want a new or updated version, I don't want it at all. I think I turned it off, but I still get the same message. i can't put more than 5 gb of files on my...