Windows 10: FS2020 Running on an SSD, but can the scenery be held on another hard drive

Discus and support FS2020 Running on an SSD, but can the scenery be held on another hard drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have the it running very well on an ssd, but can the community file be used from another HD using MKLINK /J to make the hard junction with the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by IanSouthward, Sep 7, 2020.

1. FS2020 Running on an SSD, but can the scenery be held on another hard drive

I have the it running very well on an ssd, but can the community file be used from another HD using MKLINK /J to make the hard junction with the new scenery drive or will the protections on the sim reject any interrogation/manipulation of files? I find I cannot use a performance booster as I did in FSX and other games as I cannot share the .exe file with the software

:)

IanSouthward, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Chriso747 Win User

Scenery error

Hi David,

What error dialogue comes up? It could be Scenery or Area missing/not found, or similar. Have you installed any add on scenery prior to this error? Or, maybe installed a payware/freeware scenery enhancement/modification?

Depending on the above, you would do well to uninstall any added scenery. Usually, the Base Scenery is not touched, so won't require deleting. You could do a preliminary check of your Scenery.cfg to ensure that each Area and Layer Number match. So go
    here: Your Drive Letter:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg or go into your FSX Directory and find scenery.cfg (the same list exists in both).

Then slowly scroll down your list (by default, you should have 115 Areas) and as you go down the list, ensure that each Area has a matching Layer number. E.g. Area 004 should have Layer=4; Area 115 should have Layer=115, and so on).

If all the above checks okay, and you still have a Missing/Not Found type error, you could try re-building your Scenery Library, by launching FSX and then go into Settings. Click on Scenery Library and have a check down the list that there isn't anything
    that should or shouldn't be there. Then click on Ok. This action should re-build the Library.

If you still have the error coming up and you know that everything is in sequence and any add-on scenery has been removed, then you may well have to do a Repair of FSX (i.e. shut down FSX, and insert Disk 1 into your drive. Then select the Repair option).
    This will reinstall any missing files (including Scenery) back into your installation. However, you may lose any add ons, special mapping of controls/configuration files, etc. You will need to go through the whole process again to reinstate everything.

Hope you have success with this.

Chris

Chriso747, Sep 7, 2020
  3. crownele Win User
    Hard drives listed as SSD drives

Upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro.

Have 2 Hard drives in Raid 1 set up.

Win 10 lists these drives as SSD drives in System Properties.

How do I change the listing of these drives to HD so I can optimize them?

crownele, Sep 7, 2020
  4. FS2020 Running on an SSD, but can the scenery be held on another hard drive

FS2020 updates

Tried your suggestions, Greg. No change. Troubleshooter doesn't find a problem. Nothing to update in the hub - says the FS2020 update was 8/13 (which seems odd) but the simulator didn't show up under apps like all the others that come with Windows 10.

FS2020 only shows up under All Owned in the Store App where the only option is to launch it.

Could this be a left-over from the original install??

John

johnbartucci, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

FS2020 Running on an SSD, but can the scenery be held on another hard drive

1. FS2020 Running on an SSD, but can the scenery be held on another hard drive - Similar Threads - FS2020 Running SSD

2. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive: My OS is Windows 10. I have a 2 TB hard drive, formatted as NTFS, that is partitioned as follows: - System Reserved @ 100 MB 59% free - Local C: @ 886 GB bootable 59% free - Recovery Partition @ 518 MB 100% free - Local F: @ 977 GB 56% free The end goal is to migrate the...
  3. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive: My OS is Windows 10. I have a 2 TB hard drive, formatted as NTFS, that is partitioned as follows: - System Reserved @ 100 MB 59% free - Local C: @ 886 GB bootable 59% free - Recovery Partition @ 518 MB 100% free - Local F: @ 977 GB 56% free The end goal is to migrate the...
  4. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. hard drive/ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    hard drive/ssd: why do hard drive/ssd die https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drivessd/386ba5f0-2726-4c8e-a7a5-286c626dd32a
  6. hard drive/ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive/ssd: why do hard drive/ssd die https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drivessd/386ba5f0-2726-4c8e-a7a5-286c626dd32a
  7. hard drive/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I run FS2020 on these specs?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can I run FS2020 on these specs?: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB of memory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-run-fs2020-on-these-specs/e899d4b2-8c46-48b5-9e5a-216ac366425b
  9. FS2020 default drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FS2020 default drive: Trying to install FS2020 but default download drive is C and I need it to be D - how do I do this as I have tried just typing over it without any luck? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fs2020-default-drive/94534f17-937a-4550-ac94-25477b577b53
  10. SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD hard drive: I purchased a new laptop HP and I noticed that the SSD is one so I am wondering how to divide the 256 GBs into two or three partitions OF 50 GBs or 100 GBs with my thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-hard-drive/060a0f8b-4f4a-45ad-8d00-78a5e869a90a