Windows 10: FTP.exe password character limit

Discus and support FTP.exe password character limit in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, While trying to login to our Azure Web App FTP using the preinstalled ftp.exe as part of Windows we found out that the passwords which are being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tim B Free, Mar 7, 2019.

1. FTP.exe password character limit

Hi,

While trying to login to our Azure Web App FTP using the preinstalled ftp.exe as part of Windows we found out that the passwords which are being generated by Microsoft Azure are too long to use with the ftp.exe command line application.

In Azure you can create an empty Web App. Then when you go to the control panel of the Web App and click 'Get publish profile' you will see the username + password that you can use to login to the FTP of the Azure instance. When opening 'CTRL+R', 'cmd.exe' and then choose for 'ftp.exe -d' (debugging mode) and enter the hostname and credentials of the Azure Web App, then you will see that the password is being cut off after 32 characters.

The Azure password is automatically generated and not possible to change. And the password character limit of ftp.exe is also not possible to change. This makes building automated scripts impossible.

Can Microsoft look into enlarging the character limit for the password value of ftp.exe?

:)

Tim B Free, Mar 7, 2019

2. FTP not accepting password in Windows 10

This site provides step by step guide to getting ftp setup in windows 10

How to Run a FTP Server on Windows 10, 8.1

Jmarco0921, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Account Password character limit issues

Now obviously I'm posting this from my account so how could my password be messed up? Well thats the thing, and why I'm here. Recently I changed my 16 character password because I had forgotten it, I changed it to 17 characters, which at the time I didn't
    know was not technically allowed, which is why I am wondering how Microsoft would've let me though. I haven't had any problems signing in to my account, until now that is. I recently booted up my Xbox 360 to play some Black Ops, I was then prompted to sign
    in to Xbox Live. So I use my email and my new password. "That Email and password didnt work." Uhh, it obviously does, I signed in to Windows Games just 30 minutes ago. So I read on how Microsoft would be limiting passwords to 16 characters. It said that if
    you had a password that was longer than 16 characters all you had to do was enter the first 16 and it would sign in for you. Thats when I noticed that the Xbox keyboard prompt wouldn't let me enter more than 16 characters. "So that would explain why it wont
    let me in" Even still, if the article I was reading was true, it should've let me in with just 16 characters right? Thats where I was wondering maybe it was because when I changed my password I only added a symbol to the end of what I thought was my password
    before. So if Xbox was reading an old password, it wouldn't register the new one in the first place. Its very complicated and its not making me happy, considering how hard Microsoft's recovery processes are when your account is on an old email that you dont
    rember information about. And I'm sorry this is in the Windows category seeing as that there isn't even a simple Accounts category.

Franco Bowden, Mar 7, 2019
  4. okcokc Win User

FTP.exe password character limit

ftp site mapped as folder - windows doesn't send ftp password during delete

I have mapped an ftp site as a local folder in windows.

I can create files, update files, list files, rename files. but what I Can't do is delete files.

when I Check the ftp server's log, for those successful operations, windows explorer (the client) will send the user password. but during Delete operation, windows send a blank password.

any fix or workaround ? or is this a known bug?

any help is greatly appreciated

okcokc, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

FTP.exe password character limit

1. FTP.exe password character limit - Similar Threads - FTP exe password

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  4. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  5. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  6. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?: Is there a size or character limit for the sticky notes app, or is it unlimited?Additionally, when notes are saved, will they automatically be downloaded on a new device if you synced the notes on a Microsoft account? Where are the notes saved on cloud? Do they appear in your...
  8. Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?

Sticky Notes - Is there a character limit?: Is there a size or character limit for the sticky notes app, or is it unlimited?Additionally, when notes are saved, will they automatically be downloaded on a new device if you synced the notes on a Microsoft account? Where are the notes saved on cloud? Do they appear in your...
  9. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person...
  10. Character limit when renaming files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Character limit when renaming files: Hi all, windows just updated it's self and now i cant rename a file more than 26 characters, where is this option to change this? THanks! submitted by /u/ameic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/htbcz2/character_limit_when_renaming_files/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ftp password character limit

2. ftp windows 10 password character limit

3. ftp.exe password longer than 32 characters