Windows 10: FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question

Discus and support FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks Any networking Guru out there got answers for this query : Xferring same set of files To and From Windows to / From NAS server Linux machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Aug 30, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question

Hi folks

Any networking Guru out there got answers for this query :

Xferring same set of files To and From Windows to / From NAS server Linux machine running Arch Linux kernel 5.8.3. The Windows machine - HP laptop i5 processor. No Wifi involved - on LAN with full duplex set.

NAS files on decent RAID 0 array (decent spinners)

Windows files on external USB 3 SSD connected via USB3->SATA connector.

1) XFER FROM NAS TO Windows -- speed of file xfer - dual stream (i.e 2 files concurrently at approx 60 MB/s each) running the SFTP ON Windows. (SFTP protocol over LAN). Running on Windows.

2) XFER BACK TO NAS FROM Windows again dual stream - running on Windows -- 2.1 Mibs --a lot slower !!!

3) XFER FROM NAS TO Windows running on the NAS - slightly slower but still approx 45 MB/s per stream concurrently (2 files)

4) XFER FROM Windows BACK TO NAS running on the NAS again slower @ 2.1 Mib/s

OPEN SSH server working correctly on Windows -- but something clearly isn't right here.

Any ideas --IMO using identical hardware and Network protocols the speed should be the same in all 4 cases -- any ideas anyone. Why is sending files FROM Windows to NAS slower (by far) using either computer to run the job than retrieving the same set of files FROM the NAS.

Test set - 8 Files approx 3.5GB each single files in video mkv format.

(Not relevant here - but did same test : NAS to another test NAS -running the same OS and having the external USB device connected to one of the NAS's. Hardware identical including HDD's and RAID 0 on both machines.

XFER was same both ways and around 94 MB/s per stream (Mega BYTES not bits) - but can't really compare powerful hardware with the Windows Laptop --I was just trying to test as many scenarios as possible).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 30, 2020
  2. evantig Win User

Connect to SFTP or FTPS via File Explorer

Hi! I would like to connect to an SFTP server or FTPS. It MUST be via the built-in file explorer, but extra software to add that feature would be fine. FTP is insecure and it would be nice to be able to use FTPS or SFTP (yes, I know the difference).

evantig, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Laurijan Win User
    Good FTP-server program

Hi!

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good & simple FTP/SCP/SFTP server program. I now use a program called Home FTP Server (supporting onle FTP) but wasn´t able to change the server port from 21 to another number and thats why I wanna try something else.

Laurijan, Aug 30, 2020
  4. FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question

Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP

Sure.

FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question [​IMG]

FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question

1. FTP / SFTP XFER to and from Windows question - Similar Threads - FTP SFTP XFER

2. SFTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFTP server: Greetings and respect. I want to connect to the sftp server using Windows Explorer. I did this after installing winfs and sshfs. But I want to know if you know another way. Thank you......
  3. SFTP server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SFTP server: Greetings and respect. I want to connect to the sftp server using Windows Explorer. I did this after installing winfs and sshfs. But I want to know if you know another way. Thank you......
  4. sftp client

sftp client: Hello --- it seems that the ftp client is part of windows, but I can't find a sftp clent, but it seems that sftp is a "command" in powershell, so is sftp in powershell a cmdlet?...
  5. XFER FTM 2011 from 8.1 to 10.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    XFER FTM 2011 from 8.1 to 10.: I can not open FTM 2011 after adding it from 8.1 to 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xfer-ftm-2011-from-81-to-10/3522f8e2-a5b3-41d9-a2fe-1a923335a8fd
  6. For Fast File XFER - Filezilla

For Fast File XFER - Filezilla: Hi there I can't recommend this FREE program highly enough - a winner in every way including sftp encrypted secure file transfers Works really fast, much more reliable than Windows explorer and can re-try, decent logs etc etc. Fast XFER, Windows to / from Windows, Windows...
  7. SFTP sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SFTP sharing: I have recently just started an sftp server on my PCs with the built in ssh but I’m unable to actually share files with it. Anyone know any simple script that moves file ‘x’ on the client to the server using cmd then I can go in from there. submitted by /u/Falmz23 [link]...
  8. How to FTP from Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to FTP from Windows 10?: I'm not sure whether this is the most appropriate forum, but I hope that the moderators will move it if there's a better one. I have tried to access FTP sites from the Edge and IE11 browsers. No go. I have also tried from a command line window (with admin rights). ftp...
  9. Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP: Hi all, I'm frustrated with having to ask this here as I consider myself really tech-savvy and my Google-fu is pretty good, but I just can't solve it. I have a couple of Windows 10 Home/Enterprise PCs and I've got an 8TB WD Easystore formatted as exFat (because it has...
  10. administrator rights_file xfer from phone to PC

in Windows 10 Support
    administrator rights_file xfer from phone to PC: I just got done with the Win 10 conversion. So far I like - however, moving files from my Android (LG-LS970, couple years old) to my PC (AMD A6-3600, w/4 GB ram running 64 bit win 10) into file explorer in order to store into the respective folder(s); specifically...