Windows 10: Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity

Discus and support Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Okay, so I have an Acer E5-475 and I just bought a new battery pack for my computer as the old one died on me. it was okay for the first 3 days then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AGENTJAY27, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity

Okay, so I have an Acer E5-475 and I just bought a new battery pack for my computer as the old one died on me. it was okay for the first 3 days then suddenly on day 4 it died on me while I was at around 20 percent. when I recharged it back until it was full I pulled the plug of my charger then suddenly the capacity went down to around 47 percent. I thought the battery was severely damaged by somehow but when I ran a battery report it reported a 62,000 mWh Full charge capacity where in the design capacity was only about 38,000 mWh. so far I have tried:

1. Calibrate the battery by fully discharging and recharging no luck

2. Calibrate the battery by fully discharging then recharging while the laptop was turned off no luck

3. Reinstall battery driver still no luck so don't push this solution it's very generic

4. find battery calibration apps there are no reliable calibration apps

5. reinstalling the battery not useful tried many times

6. long press power button, battery reset button no luck

7. use another charger no luck

I have tried all the related solutions I could find but nothing worked.

the capacity of the battery was okay lasts me a few hours depending on what I'm doing. but I can't understand why the battery slowly raises the full charge capacity which is now around 82,000 mWh.

Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity 3b37ae39-17c0-41d8-8a41-3bfaa5872f5e?upload=true.png

:)

AGENTJAY27, Nov 9, 2020
  2. Zackary Win User

Laptop is charging to design capacity, not full charge capacity

I have a laptop (Dell Inspiron 3541) with Windows 10. After running powercfg /batteryreport in PowerShell, I got a battery report (at %userprofile%\battery-report.html). However, the results didn't seem right. Here's a screenshot.

Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity Q4eoO.png

As shown by the battery report, my design capacity is 41,440 mWh, but the full charge capacity is 26,758 mWh (about 65% battery health). However, it also shows that it is charging to design capacity (154%), not full charge capacity.

Some other weird parts of the battery report:

Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity zx9LV.png

My battery has never drained 80% in 40 minutes. 80% in 140 minutes is a much better estimate.

Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity 0bsnZ.png

Over 60 years turned on and on AC in a week? I was running Linux a lot that week, but 60+ years is impossible.

Is this normal (for a Windows battery report)?

Zackary, Nov 9, 2020
  3. Windows 10 battery percentage of design or full charge capacity?

Is the battery indicator in Windows 10 a percentage of the design capacity or the current full charge capacity of the battery ?

ie. if my battery capacity dropped from say, 60mWh to 30mWh from wear, would the indicator show 50% or 100% when the battery is fully charged at its current capacity of 30mWh ?

EDIT: to describe my case, I have an XPS 13 9350 whose battery has a design capacity of 56mWh. over the past few weeks, the battery percentage in windows stops at 55 with "plugged in not charging". running

shows that the current full charge capacity is about 41mWh, meaning at 55% I'm getting about 20mWh on a "full" charge. the surprising thing is Dell Command Power Manager shows my battery to be in excellent health.

Abhinav Vishak, Nov 9, 2020
  4. ethesx Win User

Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity

Windows 10 battery report - Full charge capacity exceeds design capacity

I've replaced the battery twice on a Sony Vaio SVS15 with an aftermarket brand and have run into an odd result in Windows 10 battery report.

This shows up and slowly increases(full charge capacity) after following each of the battery manufacturer's recommendation to discharge the battery completely to allow software estimates' re calibration. On initial install, the capacities match.

With the first aftermarket battery:

After fully charging to 100%, then unplugging the charger, the battery will reflect 96% within about a minute. It then seems to discharge much faster than the estimates given by Windows. At the 10% mark, the system shuts down unexpectedly, completely drained.

Second aftermarket battery:

Intermittently, it shows 96% and not charging - I can unplug the charger and back in to bring it to 100%. Upon reaching 10% remaining (10 minutes remaining estimate), it'll run for another couple minutes, then lose power.

Are there other ways to re-calibrate a system to properly report battery life, or could these simply be two faulty batteries?

ethesx, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity

1. Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity - Similar Threads - Full Charge Capacity

2. Design capacity is equal to full charge capacity in battery report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Design capacity is equal to full charge capacity in battery report: My battery report is acting very weird... it shows the design capacity equal to that of full charge capacity and both are decreasing over time. Can anyone help?I use my laptop plugged in most of the time.every week I drain the battery to 10-15% for its health so I shouldn't...
  3. Design capacity is equal to full charge capacity in battery report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Design capacity is equal to full charge capacity in battery report: My battery report is acting very weird... it shows the design capacity equal to that of full charge capacity and both are decreasing over time. Can anyone help?I use my laptop plugged in most of the time.every week I drain the battery to 10-15% for its health so I shouldn't...
  4. Battery full charge capacity issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery full charge capacity issue: Hi two days ago my laptop was lasting about 3-4 hours on battery but the next day jt lasted only about 10 minutes, and full battery charge was dropped by 70% or more it went from 47000 to 4000 and cycle counts is not increasing it only shows - a dash symbol I sure hope it's...
  5. Battery full charge capacity issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery full charge capacity issue: Hi two days ago my laptop was lasting about 3-4 hours on battery but the next day jt lasted only about 10 minutes, and full battery charge was dropped by 70% or more it went from 47000 to 4000 and cycle counts is not increasing it only shows - a dash symbol I sure hope it's...
  6. Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity: I dont use my new 3 months old Thinkpad often but it is now reporting the Full Charge Capacity as being more than double the Design Capacity which is surely as error. Full Charge is 121.21Wh while Design Capacity is 50.5Wh. Sorry just cant seem to upload the pic. I would like...
  7. Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity

Battery Full Charge Capacity reporting error - More than double Design capacity: I dont use my new 3 months old Thinkpad often but it is now reporting the Full Charge Capacity as being more than double the Design Capacity which is surely as error. Full Charge is 121.21Wh while Design Capacity is 50.5Wh. Sorry just cant seem to upload the pic. I would like...
  8. Battery full charge capacity is decreasing

Battery full charge capacity is decreasing: Hello there,There is already a question in Microsoft forum but I can't reply it because it's locked: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-charge-capacity-is-decreasing-very-rapidly/396d28dd-a83a-40b5-bd7a-3f53b9cdff93My issue is very similiar, the only...
  9. Battery FULL CHARGE CAPACITY error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery FULL CHARGE CAPACITY error: Since yesterday my battery full charge pass from 26,130 mWh 85.33% to 420 mWh 1.37%, and I dont know what to do, 2 days ago i went to change my SSD, cause of hardware failure, and they disconected the battery to perform the procedure, and obviusly they connected again before...
  10. Interpreting a Battery Health Report: Full Charge Capacity Exceeds Design Capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Interpreting a Battery Health Report: Full Charge Capacity Exceeds Design Capacity: Before purchasing a replacement battery for my PC, I ran a Battery HealthReport because the battery on my laptop will no longer power it for more than afew minutes. My question about the report relates to the "Battery CapacityHistory" section. For my PC the Full Charge...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. full capacity hogher than design capacity

2. powercfg full charge exceeds