Windows 10: Full permissions for all files?

Discus and support Full permissions for all files? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, currently having another issue. Excuse my little rant. There are two files I want to delete or rename. In this instance, it is because they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tyron Robinson, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Full permissions for all files?

Hi, currently having another issue. Excuse my little rant.

There are two files I want to delete or rename. In this instance, it is because they are intro videos for a game off the microsoft store that take 2-3 minutes to watch each time the game loads before you get to the main menu. I understand watching them when you launch the game for the first time, but forcing you to wait 2-3 minutes every time you start up the game is just silly and I know that with the steam version you can just delete or rename these two files to fix this issue, but I have tried a few things and simply cannot fix this here.

I have tried taking full permissions of the main directory "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" that the game is stored within. I have tried taking full permission of the individual folder the game is in. But when I try to edit permissions of the files within the game folder, I just get "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings" or when using takeown, "INFO: Access is denied".

This is absolutely rediculous and I am extremely frustrated I cannot even rename these files on my own personal computer. I can understand it may be to prevent a virus or other unauthorised app from making these changes but I am manually trying to do this. Why am I unable to do this as the system owner and administrator?

So, recap, modifying folder and subfiles does not work. Modifying the permissions of the actual files does not work. takeown does not work. I have also restarted my computer in case the files/folders were locked, does not work.

I also understand that it is only a 2-3 minute wait, but not only is this 100% avoidable with the steam version of the game and a simple file rename, imagine watching paint dry as that is exactly how it feels after you have watched these same into videos numerous times which cannot be skipped from within the app/game itself and THERE IS A WAY TO SOLVE THIS, but windows is stopping me from doing it. I am also sure there are other people with this issue, and there may be other similar issues down the line with other apps.

:)

Tyron Robinson, Nov 23, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 23, 2019
  4. Full permissions for all files?

Windows 10 File Permission Issue

There is a possibility that the files that you are trying to open are corrupted. Just to follow up, please answer the following questions:

• Which application are you using to open the photos?
    • What is the file type of the photos that you're trying to open?

We suggest that you check the permissions of the folder where the photos that you're trying to view are located at. To do so, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the folder and select Properties. A pop-up box will appear.

2. Go to the Security tab.

3. Under the Security tab, check if all the options under
    Permissions for SYSTEM are allowed/checked.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Lizette Ags, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

Full permissions for all files?

1. Full permissions for all files? - Similar Threads - Full permissions files

2. Can't Open a File I Have Full Permission To

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Open a File I Have Full Permission To: I put full permissions onto my Windows account, Users, Everyone, and even successfully used the TAKEOWN command with the Command Prompt, yet I still can't open the file. There are also some things missing in the properties, such as the Edit button in the Security tab. It's...
  3. Can't Open a File I Have Full Permission To

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Open a File I Have Full Permission To: I put full permissions onto my Windows account, Users, Everyone, and even successfully used the TAKEOWN command with the Command Prompt, yet I still can't open the file. There are also some things missing in the properties, such as the Edit button in the Security tab. It's...
  4. Can't Open a File I Have Full Permission To

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Full user permission

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Full user permission: Hi, recently i have been getting a bundle of errors and i think are mainly due to permission changes. My user is an admin yet i get an admin has blocked me from doing stuff device manager, services ... meaning cant access mcc exe. Also windows troubleshooters all get an error...
  6. All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing

All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing: Is there any way to see the file permissions I have edited? or all the file permissions on disc drive? I'm trying to use File sharing to transfer some files to another computer via LAN cable, so I have given about 15-20 folders Read/Write access from any user, now I'm done...
  7. Full permission to copy or rename a file in explorer or in Photoshop

Full permission to copy or rename a file in explorer or in Photoshop: I have some photo files on my desktop. I tried to crop and save as cropped in Photoshop, but I get the message the files don't exist. (see first Screenschot) When I go out the folder and try to copy the files, I had to give Admin permission for each one to duplicate the...
  8. File Permissions for all files

File Permissions for all files: I'm running windows 10. I am tired of a) files that I know are on my computer not showing up in searches and b) being denied permission to access or change the contents of files. What is the quickest way to give me (and the search function in Windows 10) access to every...
  9. "Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    "Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all: I can't seem to back up. I have a Western Digital External 8Tb drive, trying to back up 3Tb of data. The WD backup drive is a single partition NTFS. I tried the WD backup software that came with the drive. When the drive was completely empty and new, the WD backup software...
  10. Lost all permissions and control of files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost all permissions and control of files/folders: Hi all, earlier I plugged in the hard drive from my wife's PC into my own PC (both windows 10) so I could try to recover some files from it (as it's currently not booting into windows). As soon as I booted my PC back up I could see the second hard drive was there but...