Windows 10: fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10

Discus and support fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a WD 1TB external hard drive that I have been using for a while. It worked perfectly fine up until it suddenly started disconnecting from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JanaTaan, Mar 15, 2020.

1. JanaTaan Win User

fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10

I have a WD 1TB external hard drive that I have been using for a while. It worked perfectly fine up until it suddenly started disconnecting from windows 10. I tried plugging it in different ports and the problem persists, then suddenly it pops up in my PC and works again. It happened a few times, but now it's not working again.

The drive is recognized by my macbook, I also tried it on another macbook and it works too. It doesn't work on the TOSHIBA windows 10 laptop, I tried on HP windows 10 too and it also doesn't doesn't work.

I tried everything I found online related to updating USB drives, I forgot exactly what they were but something about disabling the option of turning off the ports in low battery, etc.. it's not a usb port issue as I tried connecting other USBs and they work. I also tried safe mode and didn't find it either.

I can't find the drive in disk management either.

Also its not on Device manager.

I can't find it anywhere!

this is what the Disk Management shows:

I've been trying to find a solution for two days and no luck, so any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I used another cable, it worked for barely two seconds before it disappeared. fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10 1c773f43-56e5-4bad-988a-d94766ba1af4?upload=true.png

:)

JanaTaan, Mar 15, 2020
  2. cobrasl Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10 [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10 [​IMG]

cobrasl, Mar 15, 2020
  3. WD external hard drive

I'm currently running windows 10 and I have a WD MY BOOK 3T EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. My laptop is a DELL LATITUDE E6530. When I plug in the hard drive, neither of the laptop or windows recognizes that its plugged in except for in device manager. and there's
    no opening it. I used it before windows 10 but now it says I can't restore to Windows 7 because I didn't have restore set up. I'm not even sure that's the problem. All I know is that I've accessed it before without any problems but its been quite some time.
    I'm needing suggestions or remote help to tell me what the problem is because I need it to open up space on the laptop

djohnson13, Mar 15, 2020
  4. fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10

I've lost two WD external hard drives since connecting them to new Windows 10 computer

In the 3 days since I started using a new Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 Pro, the computer stopped recognizing two Western Digital external hard drives (one Mybook, on Mypassport) each containing large amounts of data. The hard drives are no longer recognized
    by file manager or in Disc Manager. On my old Windows 7 computer (where they worked well until connected to the new Windows 10 device) one was recognized only in Device Manager, but are listed as having 0 bytes of data. (I stupidly destroyed and recycled
    it, thinking it was common drive failure and time to get a new one). The other seems fully operational on the Windows 7 computer.

I understand this is a recurring problem with WD hard drives, and external drives in general for Windows 10. I'd appreciate any possible assistance.

DK in So.Cal, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10

1. fully functional WD External hard drive not recognized anywhere on windows 10 - Similar Threads - fully functional External

2. External hard drive not recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not recognized by Windows: Earlier today, when starting my computer, my WD 4TB Elements Desktop external drive was recognized. I was able to access the drive. Now, it is not recognized. It is listed in Disk Management as Disk 2 Unknown Disk, Not Initialized. Windows 10 does list the drive under Device...
  3. External hard drive not recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not recognized by Windows: Earlier today, when starting my computer, my WD 4TB Elements Desktop external drive was recognized. I was able to access the drive. Now, it is not recognized. It is listed in Disk Management as Disk 2 Unknown Disk, Not Initialized. Windows 10 does list the drive under Device...
  4. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not recognized: i recentley came accross a hard drive i had from and old Acer laptop, i think it had windows 7 or 8 on it, so i bought a SATA to USB 3.0, 2.5 inc case and plugged it in to the mac that i have been using for 3 years now, in finder there it was marked Acer open it up and could...
  5. External Hard Drives Not Recognized

External Hard Drives Not Recognized: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop and in both cases the external hard drives that were attached are no longer recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the driver software and...
  6. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  7. External hard drive not recognized by Windows 10

External hard drive not recognized by Windows 10: I connect my WD Elements 1042 portable hard drive to my PC running Windows 10. The computer sees the hard drive because it appears in devices. However, the hard drive does not appear in the files menu and I cannot access it. This question was asked in 2016, but it has not...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive: My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive. I've tried to go into Disk Management and I cannot find anything that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-my-wd-external-hard/aa33b279-5a52-46cb-b976-51aed92b90c1
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...