Windows 10: Function Discovery Provider Host Stops running

Discus and support Function Discovery Provider Host Stops running in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Function Discovery Provider HostFunction Discovery Resource Publication Both or one not really sure seem to stop working after a period of time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Clintlgm, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Clintlgm Win User

Function Discovery Provider Host Stops running

Function Discovery Provider HostFunction Discovery Resource Publication

Both or one not really sure seem to stop working after a period of time, requiring me to Manually Restart them
    This happen on two of my computer that run 24 - 7
    I'm working with 5 computer network MS Work Group. All units have Sharing and Security set to share to Authorized Users
    With the same Admin Local user account on all.

How I notice this Is I will check my Network in explorer and see that Office or FrontDesk will not be visible there. So when this happens I'll go to that unit and manually restart both functions and then they will show up again and be available in Explorer.
    When I do this the functions show to be running usually, some times one or both will be stopped, but usually they still show they are running but the aren't until I restart them.

This started a while back when MS advised up to stop using SMB 1, I never had this issue using SMB 1.

This has been going on since back then I haven't seen a thread on this particular issue so I'm curious If I'm the only one or has this issue been previously discussed. I haven't really had time to sort it out.

All my computers are running W 10 Pro 64 bit with one running W8.1 pro 64 bit

:)

Clintlgm, Feb 13, 2020

2. Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Provider Host----
    The FDPHOST service hosts the Function Discovery (FD) network discovery providers. These FD providers supply network discovery services for the Simple Services Discovery Protocol (SSDP) and Web Services – Discovery (WS-D) protocol. Stopping or disabling the FDPHOST service will disable network discovery for these protocols when using FD. When this service is unavailable, network services using FD and relying on these discovery protocols will be unable to find network devices or resources.

Function Discovery Resource Publication ----
    Publishes this computer and resources attached to this computer so they can be discovered over the network. If this service is stopped, network resources will no longer be published and they will not be discovered by other computers on the network.

Automatic means it will start as the computer is booting up. Delayed means it will wait until after the boot up is complete before it starts.

Hope that helps.

Access Denied, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Provider Host & Function Discovery Resource PublicationWhat is the difference between these two options, automatic or delayed start?

Adriaan Jansens, Feb 13, 2020
  4. johnpd Win User

Function Discovery Provider Host randomly stops

I have set up the 4 primary network related services as "Automatic - delayed start" on my local systems to get them networked properly. These services are (1) "Function Discovery Provider Host", (2) "Function Discovery Resource Publication", (3) "SSDP Discovery", and (4) "UPnP Device Host". I also have enabled "SMBv1Client" on them. It it has been working fine except for the new computer I just got. The "Function Discovery Provider Host" keeps stopping on this computer and I have no idea why. Although I can see shares on other computers from this new one, at times I cannot access the shares on the new computer from other computers. Once the FDPH service is running again, I then can access them. Another strange thing is even though the new computer is booted up after other computers, somehow it has become the "Master Browser". I don't know if that has any effect on the situation. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    JohnD

johnpd, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Function Discovery Provider Host Stops running - Similar Threads - Function Discovery Provider

2. Function Discovery Provider Host using 90% + of CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Function Discovery Provider Host using 90% + of CPU: My PC: has slowed to snail pace and i think it is because of this: PC Details:Device name G ..... P Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB 31.9 GB usable Device ID Product ID System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen...
  3. Function Discovery Provider Host using 90% + of CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Function Discovery Provider Host using 90% + of CPU: My PC: has slowed to snail pace and i think it is because of this: PC Details:Device name G ..... P Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB 31.9 GB usable Device ID Product ID System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen...
  4. Function Discovery Provider Host using 90% + of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 - Function Discovery Provider Host Issues. After a system restart it say's its...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Function Discovery Provider Host Issues. After a system restart it say's its...: So I'll start by saying I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about.PC Details below:Device name DESKTOP-Q171OF3 Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.83 GB usable Device ID A58F993D-6180-49F2-B1ED-F49FC275918F Product ID...
  6. Function Discovery Provider Host MS serice

Function Discovery Provider Host MS serice: My PC Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GB Device ID 74DC40EA-E2BC-41E2-8CBB-B90923DF7FDB Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA530 System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touch Pen support...
  7. can't modify Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic. manual options is grayed out

can't modify Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic. manual options is grayed out: can't modify Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic. manual options is grayed out. can't make any changes to the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-modify-function-discovery-provider-host-to/921d2724-1bbb-44c9-ae87-d3418baa526e
  8. Function Discovery Provider Host Problems on Start-up or Restart

Function Discovery Provider Host Problems on Start-up or Restart: Hello, I was experiencing problems with viewing a computer on my network. After searching and troubleshooting, I found the problem was linked to the Function Discovery Provider Host service. Even after making sure it was running and set to Automatic / Automatic Delayed...
  9. Function Discovery Provider Host randomly stops

Function Discovery Provider Host randomly stops: I have set up the 4 primary network related services as "Automatic - delayed start" on my local systems to get them networked properly. These services are (1) "Function Discovery Provider Host", (2) "Function Discovery Resource Publication", (3) "SSDP Discovery", and (4)...
  10. Function Discovery Provider Host keeps turning OFF?

Function Discovery Provider Host keeps turning OFF?: Hello, I run Win 10 Version 1803 build 17134. 165. The Service Function Discovery Provider Host keeps turning itself off and when that happens, sharing functionality is broken. I had it set to Automatic, and started it but it kept turning off. I also tried setting it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. server 2019 function discovery provider host stops

2. FDP Host