Windows 10: Function key (Fn) is not working!

Discus and support Function key (Fn) is not working! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LachlanWynn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Function key (Fn) is not working!

When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba laptop. The issue has been occuring for a long time.

:)

LachlanWynn, Jan 7, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Exactly what I was used to do, pressing the FN key with an F key but that didn't work....
    If I press the FN key I get f1 f2 f3 and so on.

It was just the other way around, but I figured it out now.*Smile Function key (Fn) is not working! :)

P4-630, Jan 7, 2019
  3. New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Ummm, that is normal - depending on the function you are doing (assuming I understand what you are saying).

On a notebook, the Fn key is like a shift key that switches in a different set of functions for the F-Keys.

For example, in Windows pressing the F5 key typically refreshes the display. In File Explorer, it will refresh the displayed files. In a browser, it will refresh (reload) the webpage. But pressing Fn + F5 does something different, depending on your notebook. On my Toshiba notebook, if I hold down the Fn key and press F5, it switches the video output of my notebook between the notebook monitor, a connected external monitor, or both.

Bill_Bright, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Rocks Win User

Function key (Fn) is not working!

Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also

So how do I get to BIOS + what do I do when I get there? The keyboard came with the new computer. Not impressed with any of it + especially Windows 10. The function keys clearly have their use listed on the key, but they won't work w/o the Fn key. That's definitely not right.

Rocks, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

Function key (Fn) is not working!

1. Function key (Fn) is not working! - Similar Threads - Function key working

2. Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work: My function keys on my USB keyboard don't work whenever I press "fn". e.g I can press F2 to change a file's name and it works just fine, but if I press fn + F2 to lower the volume, it doesn't work, and it's the same for the rest of the function keys, they work all just fine...
  3. Fn key to brightness not functioning properly

Fn key to brightness not functioning properly: Hello,Briefly: Fn key combination with the brightness adjuster keys in my case, F4 and 5 is malfunctioning. I can see the bar pop up when I use the buttons, but the slider only increases and decreases once, no matter how many times I press the buttons. The brightness remains...
  4. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  5. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  6. Fn + Windows Key + Other functions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fn + Windows Key + Other functions?: Hey, I've gotten an update of windows August 2020 today and after reboot, I pressed the windows key but no window bar has open. Luckily I figured out soon after to need to press Fn + Windows key + another function key to uses the default windows function such as open window's...
  7. FN key multimedia functions not working Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FN key multimedia functions not working Win 10: I don't understand why my FN key is not registering like i tried everything to fix it: -troubleshoot hardware -press f11 f12 -held FN then banged the keyboard with my head -esc lock -caps lock None of them worked out and i know that the key was working before because i could...
  8. Windows and Fn keys Swapped in functioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows and Fn keys Swapped in functioning: I have MSI GL63 laptop and my windows version is 2004. today i noticed that my Fn key and Windows keys swapped functioning . Is this windows issue or any other? How can I solve it?...
  9. Toshiba - Function or FN keys not working? Try this...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba - Function or FN keys not working? Try this...: Recently I had to completely start over on my laptop. Full delete, format and reinstall of windows twas the only was to defeat the 'endless reboot loop'. Yes, I tried everything I could find... but after a fortnight of trying, retrying and working through countless errors...
  10. Fn Key functions are not all working

Fn Key functions are not all working: hello i have VAIO E VPCEH3AEA Fn + F1 = lock touchpad =>not working Fn + F2 = mute volume => working Fn + F3 = decrease volume => working Fn + F4 = increase volume => working Fn + F5 = decrease brightness => not working Fn + F6 = increase brightness => not working Fn...