Windows 10: Function keys not working on a Japanese keyboard

Discus and support Function keys not working on a Japanese keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old laptop died on me so I bought a new one in Japan and it has a Japanese keyboard (with hiragana on the keys as well as roman letters.) However, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 650589, Oct 9, 2019.

1. 650589 Win User

Function keys not working on a Japanese keyboard

My old laptop died on me so I bought a new one in Japan and it has a Japanese keyboard (with hiragana on the keys as well as roman letters.) However, I installed an English UK keyboard to type with. However, the function keys don't work. For example when I try to mute my laptop with f10 it does nothing and f11 and f12 don't change volume. However, f11 makes the window full screen and f12 for some reason opens inspect element. The punctuation keys also don't correspond to the ones written on the keyboard. However, I'm mostly having trouble with the function keys. Any ideas on how I could make them work as intended? Thanks.

:)

650589, Oct 9, 2019
  2. TokyoMike Win User

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Function keys not working on a Japanese keyboard

Japanese Keyboard

Hi Kiyakat,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Let us follow these steps and check if that makes any difference:

Step A: Remove the Language Pack.

1. Click on the Start button, go to Settings > Time & Language > Region &
      Language.
    2. Click on Japanese Language and the click on Remove.

Step B: Re-add the Language pack.

1. Click on the Start button, go to Settings > Time & Language > Region &
      language.
    2. Click on Add a Language >Select the Language (Japanese).
    3. Once added, click on Options button, and select Add Keyboards to select Japanese keyboard.
    Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Function keys not working on a Japanese keyboard

1. Function keys not working on a Japanese keyboard - Similar Threads - Function keys working

2. Keyboard function keys won't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard function keys won't work: Hello i have a keyboard that works fine on my laptop fine 100%but when i try to use the function keys on my desktop, they don't worki currently have a jamesdonkey A3 keyboard which is a 65% keyboard with no function lock keyi have filter keys off, i've tried sfc/scannow and...
  3. Keyboard function keys won't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard function keys won't work: Hello i have a keyboard that works fine on my laptop fine 100%but when i try to use the function keys on my desktop, they don't worki currently have a jamesdonkey A3 keyboard which is a 65% keyboard with no function lock keyi have filter keys off, i've tried sfc/scannow and...
  4. Function keys in keyboard not working

Function keys in keyboard not working: I have encountered this problem from today morning , I was using microsoft edge and I tried to increase the volume of the video I was watching so the volume control is placed on f7 button and when i clicket it a pop up appeared something "caret browsing" and tried clicking...
  5. Function keys in keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Function keys in keyboard not working: I have encountered this problem from today morning , I was using microsoft edge and I tried to increase the volume of the video I was watching so the volume control is placed on f7 button and when i clicket it a pop up appeared something "caret browsing" and tried clicking...
  6. Cannot switch input functions on Japanese keyboard

Cannot switch input functions on Japanese keyboard: Hey all, I have Windows 10 and I need to type a paper in Japanese. My problem is that my keyboard has somehow switched from romaji input to kana input, and I have no idea how to switch it back. I cannot figure out which keys are which character now. Please help! Darius...
  7. Japanese Keyboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Japanese Keyboard: Dear Sir/Madam, I have the language pack installed for Japanese, however when I installed the Japanese keyboard, it informs that it's searching for the language pack, and never finds it. As consequence, I can't select between hiragana and katakana. How to solve this...
  8. Function Keys Working But Keyboard Shortcuts Aint.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Function Keys Working But Keyboard Shortcuts Aint.: I want to make my laptop so that it can use the function keys and ALSO use Alt+f4 at the same time. Another example is f11 for fullscreen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys-working-but-keyboard-shortcuts-aint/bee78548-238d-4730-9b01-026d3058167b
  9. Keyboard not working properly, "missing" key functionality

Keyboard not working properly, "missing" key functionality: As of 6/18/2020 Windows automatic update, my keyboard is missing some characters... 5, 6, - and + as well as the control button and delete button are not working and do not produce characters or input. To create most of these, I must use the NumLock mode and find them in...
  10. Keyboard Function Keys

Keyboard Function Keys: I would like to know if there is a way to make it so (for example) if I hit F2, it will actually do F2 instead of changing my screen brightness. I know you can do this by holding down FN, but I want to know if there is a way I can do that without holding down FN....