Windows 10: Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions

Discus and support Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello My function keys are not performing the functions that it is stated they are supposed to perform. For example, F1, F2, and F£ do not control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JeremyDKP, Jan 6, 2021.

1. JeremyDKP Win User

Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions

Hello

My function keys are not performing the functions that it is stated they are supposed to perform. For example, F1, F2, and F£ do not control the volume. Instead F9 increases volume, and F8 reduces volume. F11 which is apparently to control screen brightness is now available to exit full screen.

I see this issue has been reported some years ago but apparently the problem resolved for the user who reported without the need for any assistance.

I'd be grateful for your help

Jeremy

:)

JeremyDKP, Jan 6, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Function keys performing the wrong function

F1 for Help, F11 for full screen and so on, those are the normal functions of F keys. On laptops you can use the manufacturer specific alternative functions by pressing and holding down the FN key then pressing preferred F key. In you case I bet that if you press FN + F1 instead of just F1, it works in the way Dell has customized it, as mute / unmute.

Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions [​IMG]

(Position of FN key on actual keyboard may vary.)

Most laptops allow user to set default function key action in BIOS / UEFI settings. In your case it sounds that your laptop was earlier set to give Dell specific functions without FN key and normal functions with it, and now it has been changed to give normal standard functions without FN key and Dell specific functions with it.

Kari, Jan 6, 2021
  3. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jan 6, 2021
  4. Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions

Inverting Function Keys

Hi Daeri,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Are you able to use function keys using on screen keyboard?

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to try using on screen keyboard and check if you are able to use the functionality of function key.

To open on screen keyboard, type on screen keyboard in the
    search box on the taskbar and select on screen keyboard.

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions

1. Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions - Similar Threads - Function Keys Performing

2. utility.exe - incorrect function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    utility.exe - incorrect function: To clear the temp files I clicked on Clean Disk option from the C drives properties menu. And now this error is showing up when I start the PC even though the utility functions are working...
  3. utility.exe - incorrect function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    utility.exe - incorrect function: To clear the temp files I clicked on Clean Disk option from the C drives properties menu. And now this error is showing up when I start the PC even though the utility functions are working...
  4. utility.exe - incorrect function

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Error: Incorrect Function

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: Incorrect Function: I have been getting this error every time I open my laptop, I don't know how to fix it, so please, if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-incorrect-function/7f711573-7958-46af-8e47-f1a5192c3bbb
  6. WDADesktopService.exe Incorrect function

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WDADesktopService.exe Incorrect function: Hello!Since a few days ago, every time I start my PC I receive this error and I find it really annoying. I tried going into File Explorer to where the program seems to be and thought of trying the Troubleshoot compatibility option, but I couldn't get in due to Security...
  7. Incorrect mouse functioning.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incorrect mouse functioning.: I am using Windows 10 Home and my mouse is a Logitech Wireless Trackball M570. Although the pointer is always visible, from time to time the trackball is unable to select a function using the left or right click. It can go for several days working correctly and then will...
  8. brightness key working but not performing the required function

in Windows 10 Customization
    brightness key working but not performing the required function: Hello, I have an HP Ultrabook 820 G3. Its brightness keys are located at F5 and F6 but both are working but not performing their brightness increase/decrease functions. At the home page, the brightness keys scroll through the apps located at the taskbar but do not increase...
  9. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function Keys: I accidently pressed a function key with another key (don't know which for sure) and now ALL my text (letters) are in miniature. Since I don't which keys caused this, I don't know which ones will reverse the situation....
  10. Function keys performing the wrong function

in Windows 10 Support
    Function keys performing the wrong function: So my computer works fine, but for some reason the function keys were switched up. When I'm on the desktop, they don't do anything at all, and when I'm in Google Chrome they do things that aren't related to what they're supposed to do. F1 used to mute/unmute, now it opens...