Windows 10: Function keys performing the wrong function

Discus and support Function keys performing the wrong function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my computer works fine, but for some reason the function keys were switched up. When I'm on the desktop, they don't do anything at all, and when I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wotw, Jun 24, 2016.

1. wotw Win User

Function keys performing the wrong function

So my computer works fine, but for some reason the function keys were switched up. When I'm on the desktop, they don't do anything at all, and when I'm in Google Chrome they do things that aren't related to what they're supposed to do.
    F1 used to mute/unmute, now it opens the internet browser and searches Bing for Windows 10 help.
    F2 lowered volume, now it doesn't seem to do anything.
    F3 raised volume, now it opens the page search on the internet browser.
    F4 rewound, now it does nothing.
    F5 paused/played, now it refreshes the page.
    F6 used to fast-forward, now it functions essentially like a tab key but only for boxes I can type in.
    F7 I don't believe had an assigned function, and it still doesn't, so at least that's the same.
    F8 I believe used to enter/exit full screen mode, now it does nothing.
    F9 used to open inspect page, now it does nothing also.
    F10 I have no idea what it used to do, but it doesn't do anything now.
    F11 lowered brightness, now it toggles full screen.
    F12 raised brightness, now it opens inspect page.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron. Does anyone know a way to re-assign my function keys? I've tried searching through This PC -> Manage and can't seem to find anything.
    *cake

:)

2. My function keys seem to be doing the wrong things now

Hi Daniel,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Please post back if the issue occurs again or if you have any issues related to Windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthik Vengaloor, Jun 24, 2016
  3. My function keys seem to be doing the wrong things now

??? tnx for whaT? ,, as far as i can see he had no point in posting all that,, couse he still didnt say how it was fixed ,, and the worst part is you guys are replying like we got help in our issue, no this is jst reasures us that there are others with
    the same problem.... DOESNT FIX THE PROBLEM ... so if u have a solution post if NOT ,deleTE !!!

samWIse-IV, Jun 24, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

F1 for Help, F11 for full screen and so on, those are the normal functions of F keys. On laptops you can use the manufacturer specific alternative functions by pressing and holding down the FN key then pressing preferred F key. In you case I bet that if you press FN + F1 instead of just F1, it works in the way Dell has customized it, as mute / unmute.

Function keys performing the wrong function [​IMG]

(Position of FN key on actual keyboard may vary.)

Most laptops allow user to set default function key action in BIOS / UEFI settings. In your case it sounds that your laptop was earlier set to give Dell specific functions without FN key and normal functions with it, and now it has been changed to give normal standard functions without FN key and Dell specific functions with it.

5. wotw Win User
    Yeah, that seems to work perfectly, thanks.

6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Function keys performing the wrong function - Similar Threads - Function keys performing

2. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Function Keys: I'm having problems with keyboard function keys not working. I get round this by uninstalling keyboard in device manager and restarting computer. This works but it doesn't take long before the function keys stop working again and I have to repeat the process mentioned before....
  3. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Function Keys: Hi, how do I make a certain Fn key disabled and reprogram it for another use? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys/7966f3a3-0163-4e51-83b7-203ac4f42301
  4. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function Keys: Hi, how do I make a certain Fn key disabled and reprogram it for another use? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys/7966f3a3-0163-4e51-83b7-203ac4f42301
  5. Function Keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions

Function Keys - Performing incorrect functions: Hello My function keys are not performing the functions that it is stated they are supposed to perform. For example, F1, F2, and F£ do not control the volume. Instead F9 increases volume, and F8 reduces volume. F11 which is apparently to control screen brightness is now...
  7. brightness key working but not performing the required function

brightness key working but not performing the required function: Hello, I have an HP Ultrabook 820 G3. Its brightness keys are located at F5 and F6 but both are working but not performing their brightness increase/decrease functions. At the home page, the brightness keys scroll through the apps located at the taskbar but do not increase...
  8. Function keys

Function keys: I have the Microsoft bluetooth keyboards and would like to be able to use the function keys like a normal keyboard. How can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys/95b2359d-6356-490f-a73a-06783cea15a2
  9. Function Keys

Function Keys: I accidently pressed a function key with another key (don't know which for sure) and now ALL my text (letters) are in miniature. Since I don't which keys caused this, I don't know which ones will reverse the situation....
  10. The function keys

in Windows 10 Support
    The function keys: I have an HP 15ayoo9dx lap top. The Function keys (or action keys as they call them) can be enabled or disabled by going in the BIOS. I’m trying to decide if I want to disable or enable. What is the difference? Thank you. 71327