Windows 10: FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not...

Discus and support FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi All, In updating to Windows 10 - 20H2 I found a serious issue that I have no doubt will affect others and should be pre-emptively fixed by... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by ScottM2020, Oct 29, 2020.

1. FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not...

Hi All,

In updating to Windows 10 - 20H2 I found a serious issue that I have no doubt will affect others and should be pre-emptively fixed by Microsoft. My hope is that this info being posted will also help some people out before MS gets around to it.

I used the 20H2 Media Creation Tool to make a USB installer, then ran the setup on that from my desktop to update from 2004. Once it was fully complete, I got the lock screen with the clock and background, and I clicked to get to the next screen and sign in. Much to my surprise I found that there was no text box where I could enter my password. My username was shown and 'sign in' below that, but without a password I could only go back and forth between this and the lock screen.

Fortunately I was able to use Remote Desktop from my laptop to sign into my desktop and start investigating. What I found was this in my Settings:

FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not... 29bf5392-41ef-4240-8963-634e1933ae1e?upload=true.jpg

So the setting requiring Windows Hello was changed to On and I was prevented from changing it without configuring Windows Hello, but couldn't do that because those items were not listed above the require option.

Eventually I found information online about a registry setting to disable 'PasswordLess' Sign-in by changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device\DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion to 0.

Once I did that and signed out, the password box was again shown on the login screen and the Windows Hello options are now shown in the Sign On Settings.

Back to using Windows normally after wasting hours on this...

-Scott

:)

ScottM2020, Oct 29, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

4. FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not...

Microsoft Sudoku not available to other users

Hi Larry,

Thank you for responding.

As Microsoft account has an issue, I suggest you to run Microsoft account troubleshooter from my previous post and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists, the account might have got corrupted.

I suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to local account, and convert newly created local account (with no issues)to Microsoft account to transfer the user content.

Step 1: To convert the Microsoft account to local account, you can do the following:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.
    • Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want to set for your Local account and click
      Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Step 2: To convert Local account to Microsoft account, follow these steps:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • On the newly converted Local account (with no issues), click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 3: Once the newly created local account is converted to Microsoft account, you can log-in with this account, try to access
    This PC and copy the contents from the old user account to a newly created user account.

Steps:

• Press Windows + E, click on
      This PC in the left pane.
    • Double click on C: drive (Usually where the operating system is being installed)
    • Double click on Users and older user profile folder.
    • Copy all the content from that user profile to the newly created user profile.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not...

1. FYI - 20H2 will lock users out of their PC if they only use a Microsoft Account and do not... - Similar Threads - FYI 20H2 lock

2. User account locked out after user restart, sleeps or locks the pc

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User account locked out after user restart, sleeps or locks the pc: Hi,i was experiencing user locked out after a computer is restarted or sleeps or locked. Many users in my company are facing this and i dont know what initiates this things and everytime i have to unlock their user form the Active DIrectory. All the user OS are Windows 10 and...
  3. User account locked out after user restart, sleeps or locks the pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account locked out after user restart, sleeps or locks the pc: Hi,i was experiencing user locked out after a computer is restarted or sleeps or locked. Many users in my company are facing this and i dont know what initiates this things and everytime i have to unlock their user form the Active DIrectory. All the user OS are Windows 10 and...
  4. User account locked out after user restart, sleeps or locks the pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Locked out of Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of Microsoft Account: My wife recently attempted to create a new Microsoft account and somehow messed up the password. We were unable to figure out what she entered and I had to restore her computer from backup so that she could log into it using a local account. We attempted to reset the password...
  6. Locked out of Microsoft account on my PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of Microsoft account on my PC.: I was looking at my devices linked to my Microsoft account, and the location of my pc was in a different state. So I locked the device as a precaution and now I can’t unlock it. It tells me that I need an administrator to sign in but, when I sign in to my Microsoft account I...
  7. Locked out of Microsoft account on my PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of Microsoft account on my PC.: I was looking at my devices linked to my Microsoft account, and the location of my pc was in a different state. So I locked the device as a precaution and now I can’t unlock it. It tells me that I need an administrator to sign in but, when I sign in to my Microsoft account I...
  8. Locked out of Microsoft account on my PC.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  9. microsoft account locked out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft account locked out: My aged father has been hijacked as he has been negligent with his passwords specifically that of his Microsoft account. His PC was playing up recently so we upgraded to Windows 10 was running 8.1 and on restart the Microsoft banner came up and we couldn't log in with his...
  10. locked out microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    locked out microsoft account: when trying to sign in on computer get a message that Microsoft account has been disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/locked-out-microsoft-account/b86dc012-649d-431e-82f6-3a848405b6a5