Windows 10: FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors

Discus and support FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Early this morning, I upgraded my Windows 10 Professional installation to feature version 21H1. I have been running all day, with no significant things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TXWizard, Jun 17, 2021.

1. TXWizard Win User

FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors

Early this morning, I upgraded my Windows 10 Professional installation to feature version 21H1. I have been running all day, with no significant things to report except one minor annoyance that I solved easily. The annoyance is that the Colors tab, which one would expect to be the place to go to set the text and background colors of a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) window, appears to remain, but only for show (more or less). You can change colors in that tab all day long, and your display remains stubbornly white text on a black background. Visit the Terminal tab, which has been there since Microsoft went all in on Linux support, and you can easily change the colors to suit. Though the color selection process looks a bit different, it works quite well, and is easy to use. Now that I discovered this, my command prompt windows are restored to my preferred colors, green text on a black background, just like the good old days when we used IBM 3270 terminals and such.

:)

TXWizard, Jun 17, 2021
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Jun 17, 2021
  3. Berton Win User
    commands in command prompt

Many of the commands one can use in Command Prompt go back to the days of DOS/Disk Operating System. An example of how to use switches in chkdsk can be seen by typing chkdsk /? at the command prompt. There's a number of Web pages about the commands found by a Search:
    dos commands list at DuckDuckGo
    Some pages aimed at Win10:
    windows 10 commands for command prompt at DuckDuckGo

Berton, Jun 17, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Thema:

1. FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors - Similar Threads - FYI Win10 21H1

2. Why is my command prompt's colors broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my command prompt's colors broken?: So when I do in command prompt Windows Terminal for example color 4 which is red it sets color for blue, BUT when I do color 1 which is blue, It gets like a bit darker blue? I guess. It isn't inverted, its fkd. up. How can that even happen?? And how to fix it? i can't find...
  3. Why is my command prompt's colors broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my command prompt's colors broken?: So when I do in command prompt Windows Terminal for example color 4 which is red it sets color for blue, BUT when I do color 1 which is blue, It gets like a bit darker blue? I guess. It isn't inverted, its fkd. up. How can that even happen?? And how to fix it? i can't find...
  4. How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt: If you open the Command Prompt, it should be evident that the background color is black. However, there are those who would prefer to change the color but have no idea this is a possibility. If you are one of those many people, then worry not for you’re in the right place....
  5. Export command prompt and powershell settings/colors/position

in Windows 10 Support
    Export command prompt and powershell settings/colors/position: How can it be done? I've seen a similar thread for Windows 7 at SevenForums and people there say that settings of cmd are stored in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console" but it doesn't look like it's the same on Windows 10 *sarc I've exported the whole "console" category from the...
  6. Command Prompt Colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Colors: On one of my computers the command prompt terminal defaults to black text on a grey background and does not respond to changing the properties in the normal manner. On the odd occasion that I have managed to change it to white on black it reverts to black on grey next time it...
  7. How to Change the Command Prompt Colors and properties in Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change the Command Prompt Colors and properties in Windows: Just read this article in " Makeuseof" Actually very cool!! Thought I'd share it http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...rs-in-windows/ 37871
  8. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240
  9. How to boot to a command prompt in Win10 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to boot to a command prompt in Win10 ?: Tapping F8 or spacebar doesn't do anything ? I want to boot to command prompt only. I need to rename my user folder, in an attempt to get it named correctly, after the clean upgrade decided to drop the last character, which now gives me a girls name.. lol Doing it...
  10. Win10 Creators Update - Admin Command Prompt - ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Creators Update - Admin Command Prompt - ?: How do you access/get to the Admin Command Prompt in the newest Win10 Creators update? Its Window Start Key > cmd > Right Click Command Prompt (Run as Admin) is that correct? 84529