Windows 10: G50-80 Win 10/Linux Dual-Boot - UEFI flash to original? Remove Ubuntu

Discus and support G50-80 Win 10/Linux Dual-Boot - UEFI flash to original? Remove Ubuntu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As stated in the subject line, I am on a Lenovo G50-80 laptop w/ Windows 10 x64. I have recently been experimenting with a couple Linux OSs in a dual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ebmm, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Ebmm Win User

G50-80 Win 10/Linux Dual-Boot - UEFI flash to original? Remove Ubuntu

As stated in the subject line, I am on a Lenovo G50-80 laptop w/ Windows 10 x64. I have recently been experimenting with a couple Linux OSs in a dual boot configuration with complete success. I have though since decided to dedicate another machine to my Linux ambitions.

My partition is expanded back to norm, all is well with that, however, it still has ubuntu listed in the boot menu and I have been unable to remove it as it keeps being "reinstalled" w/ another {identifier} in BCDedit.

Is anyone aware of how I can delete the identifier and have it not return (it's obviously stored elswhere) or simply reflash the BIOS to it's original state?

NOTE: in BCDedit, /fixmbr or /fixboot had no effect. Also the most recent available update to the UEFI had no effect either.

This is really a non-issue as far as the functionality of the laptop goes, it's more of myself wanting the answer and satisfying that OCD side of myself.......lol.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

:)

2. Windows 10: Grub rescue mode

I recently tried to do a dual boot with windows 10 and Ubuntu/Linux/Gnome (whatever) and when I tried booting into my computer without having flash drives in, which were used to download Ubuntu/Linux/Gnome, it went to grub rescue mode. I don't want to know
    how to restore Linux and all of that, I want to know how to make it so I can boot to Windows 10 WITHOUT having the flash drives plugged in. Gnome (whatever) and when I tried booting into my computer without having flash drives in, which were used to download
    Ubuntu/Linux/Gnome, it went to grub rescue mode. I don't want to know how to restore Linux and all of that, I want to know how to make it so I can boot to Windows 10 WITHOUT having the flash drives plugged in. Basically, how can I uninstall grub from windows
    mode.

P.S. Ubuntu/Linux/Gnome is NOT a partition.

P.P.S. I regret everything!

Original Title: Grub HELP!

Jackson13509, Nov 27, 2015
  3. windows 10 drivers

Linux is the wild card. It can mess up Windows multi-booting if it isn't properly configured. This is the method that always works best:

Dual boot Ubuntu-Win7.
    You can try removing the Dual Boot on Windows 7 drive, assuring GRUB is on the Linux partition, then adding them both from the Windows 10 drive using EasyBCD installed to 10. The modern boot manager might work better.

The other suggestions I gave are what has always worked before on Windows Dual Boots that had problems.

Active flags always are used to point to the intended System partition booting an OS on MBR format hard drives.

GPT format drives does not use Active flags and can only support OS's on a UEFI BIOS.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 27, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Download Visual BCD Download then run. Ignore the popup error. Go thru the list on the left and delete all items related to UBUNTU.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  5. Ebmm Win User
    Tried a few 3rd party boot editors w/ no success, it just comes back. I can delete the identifier in Administrative CMD prompt via BDCEdit /delete {indentifier #} and it does get deleted yet it will show back up again after a boot with another identifier number/letter sequence.

I remember reading somewhere that the Ubuntu entry is written in another directory or file and that's why it continues to reinstall yet I'm unable to find where it was I read that, nor do I remember what the procedure is.

6. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Nov 28, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Insert the Windows 10 installation media (USB or DVD) or mount the Windows 10 ISO file. From an elevated command prompt, CD to the boot folder of the installation media or mounted ISO file. Run bootsect /nt60 ALL /mbr /force

That will replace any left over Linux boot sectors with Windows 10 boot sectors.

Also, you might have to re-remove the Linux boot entry from the BCD store again, EasyBCD is an excellent program to do that with:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

You don't have to actually register to download it. Click the Register button, then just click Download on the next screen and leave your email address and name blank.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2015
  8. Ebmm Win User

Ebmm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. G50-80 Win 10/Linux Dual-Boot - UEFI flash to original? Remove Ubuntu - Similar Threads - G50 Linux Dual

2. Window 10 go to UEFI mode and stuck dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 go to UEFI mode and stuck dual boot with Ubuntu: Before this happen, i installed Ubuntu dual boot on a completely free disk space that i shrinked i have successfully installed Ubuntu dual boot on many machines. However, this time, when i choose window on GRUB menu it go straight to UEFI and there is no option to go to...
  3. Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu

Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu: Hello, My laptop has two hard drives: in the main location is an SSD with Win 10 and in the DVD drive bay is an HDD with Ubuntu. Both are Legacy BIOS. Win 10 uses MBR in /dev/sda1 and Ubuntu GRUB2 which is at /dev/sdb. I am trying to use the Windows bootloader to give me a...
  4. Remove Linux Dual Boot issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove Linux Dual Boot issue: Hello, so I want to remove my linux dual boot and so I tried to follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWe9zlSmzjA The issue is when I get to do the bootrec /fixmbr command it comes up with "The system cannot find the file specified" My current dual boot...
  5. dual boot system win 10 and linux. Want to remove linux

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot system win 10 and linux. Want to remove linux: HI Greg: I don't know what happened but for some reason I lost your thread. Then, when I tried to reply, it says it was locked so I couldn't respond. The exact question was that I had 2 OS which is win 10 and Linux. I want to remove Linux. I took a picture of the disk...
  6. Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI

Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI: Hello World I install W10 & ubuntu in dual boot on my new computer. I want to use Windows boot loader instead of GRUB. It is in UEFI so I can not use easy BCD, and I have to use easy UEFI. But I am completely lost I can not find clear info. This is the objective: [ATTACH]...
  7. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  8. Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI: Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s). [img] [img] While both were in "normal legacy BIOS" way, non-UEFI I was able to make it dual BOOT but now my favorite, EasyBCD can't make working BOOT...
  9. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...
  10. Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    Safely dual booting linux without corrupting Win. bootloader? (UEFI): So for the last 4 years I have played with linux installs on and off. But something I ALWAYS encounter, is when I eventually get tired of linux (from not being able to play my games), during the removal process I always screw up my bootloader then struggle to fix it. Is there...