Windows 10: Gadget-like widgets to make a comeback on Windows 11

Discus and support Gadget-like widgets to make a comeback on Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In recent weeks, Microsoft has been diligently engaged in reviving a distinctive aspect of Windows Vista, which generated significant debate during its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 22, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Gadget-like widgets to make a comeback on Windows 11

In recent weeks, Microsoft has been diligently engaged in reviving a distinctive aspect of Windows Vista, which generated significant debate during its time: desktop widgets, known as gadgets back then. It is worth recalling that prior to this development, Windows XP SP3 had established itself as a highly refined operating system, characterized by its maturity, stability, and reliability. Additionally, Windows XP SP3 introduced an intriguing visual transformation compared to its immediate predecessor, the somewhat notorious Windows ME, which wasn't particularly well-received by users.

While Windows XP had garnered widespread acclaim for its performance, Windows Vista's arrival marked a significant shift in public perception. Without delving into the exhaustive criticisms that have been extensively discussed, it is worth noting that Windows Vista's most notable contribution was paving the way for the subsequent release of Windows 7. Even to this day, Windows 7 can still be found on some systems, despite its lack of technical support for a considerable period. However, it must be acknowledged that the considerable level of maturity achieved by Windows 10 in recent years positions it as a superior choice in terms of functionality and overall user experience.

Despite the mixed reception of Windows Vista, it is important to acknowledge that it introduced certain noteworthy concepts, with the caveat that their execution fell short. While it may seem controversial to express such sentiment to those who experienced the associated challenges during that era, it is worth recognizing that desktop widgets were not inherently flawed. The subsequent success and widespread adoption of similar functionalities on both Android and iOS platforms serve as compelling evidence of their potential value.

Gadget-like widgets to make a comeback on Windows 11 windows-11-widget-gadget_02.jpg
    Image source: Unsplash

According to a recent report by Windows Latest, Microsoft is actively enhancing the functionality and aesthetics of widgets in Windows 11. In an upcoming update, reminiscent of the beloved Gadgets from previous Windows versions, widgets will make a triumphant return. This exciting development will allow users to conveniently pin widgets directly onto their desktop, granting quick access to essential information and functionalities.

While explicit confirmation is yet to be received, the information suggests that the inclusion of desktop widgets may be part of the anticipated Windows 11 23H2 release, expected to debut around September.

Alternatively, there exists the possibility that the introduction of this new feature, desktop widgets, may not coincide with the release of Windows 11 22H2. Instead, Microsoft might choose to deploy it independently through a Moment, a new format adopted by the company for launching new functionalities. In such a scenario, the arrival of widgets could potentially happen even earlier than anticipated.

Every device going mobile

The motivation behind expediting the launch can be attributed to the tremendous success experienced by widgets on mobile platforms. With their widespread adoption and daily usage by users, Microsoft aims to tap into this popularity and capitalize on the positive reception of widgets in the mobile realm. However, it is crucial for Microsoft to ensure that the implementation in Windows 11 surpasses the challenges faced during the Windows Vista era. The ultimate success or failure of desktop widgets in Windows 11 will heavily depend on the execution and user experience it offers, warranting cautious optimism and the hope for a more favorable outcome.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Gadget-like widgets to make a comeback on Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 22, 2023
  2. jemgem Win User

Widgets and Gadgets?

yes, you can get the windows 7 widgets back.
    see this:
    Desktop gadgets and sidebar for Windows 10

you will have only the basic pack, any other widgets you will have to google them.

that said... the gadgets were never a great system, and used a bit too much memory for my liking.
    you may want to have a look at rainmeter "skins" - all sorts of little widgets, offering a fantastic way to personalise your desktop

jemgem, May 22, 2023
  3. Melvis Win User
    Windows 10 Gadgets/Widgets?

Ok so im a guy that likes to use gadgets on my second monitor to watch CPU/Memory load, GPU load and temps etc on my Windows 7 machines but miss them on W10, so my question is there anything out there that I can use to have gadgets/widgets on my W10 machine?

I found this website but I have no idea if there any good Win10 Widgets - Widgets for Windows 10

*Toast :toast:

Melvis, May 22, 2023
  4. cfuller57 Win User

Widgets and Gadgets?

Hello Folks,
    New Member here, .
    First I would like to thank everyone on these forums that have provided fixes, and answers to this MS New OS called Win10.
    For Months now I have had nothing but issues getting this OS to install, and work without issues. Win10 Forums has had all the answers that I needed to find out how to fix it.
    Now that I have it up and running, I have been searching for a way to get a Widget, WundergroundVistaWidget, to work on the Desktop.
    I have seen many posts about 8 Gadget pack, but it appears it puts back the sidebar. I never used Side bar, but I had the Widget for Wunderground Weather on my desktop in Win7.

So, the question is: Is there a way to get the Widget to install to the Desktop in Windows 10?
    I have tried, and I get it is not compatible.
    If not, is there a way to get Tiles to show up on the Desktop, instead of only the Start Screen in Tablet Mode?

Any, and all, help is appreciated.
    Thanks,

cfuller57, May 22, 2023
Thema:

1. Gadget-like widgets to make a comeback on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Gadget widgets comeback

2. widgets in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    widgets in windows 11: hello, so i have not recieved the update for the widgets in windows 11, i still have it on my taskbar, but its in the middle and it isnt on the left like it is for alot of other people, and yes i do have the most recent update and it did not fix anything, here's my issue:and...
  3. Widgets Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Widgets Windows 11: I sign into widgets and nothing happens I just get the sign in screen again was working before. Ver 22000,348.I have tried the solutions found on this site but still cant get it to work any solutions....
  4. Windows 11: The Return of the Gadgets?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11: The Return of the Gadgets?: Introduced in Windows Vista, gadgets would display in a fixed sidebar initially that would provide users with information, entertainment and more. You could use them to display weather information, photos, news, a clock, calendar, or system information. Microsoft decided to...
  5. Taskbar-like widget?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar-like widget?: Anyone knows if there’s a way to add a second taskbar or a pop up widget to store desktop icons? Like when you unlock the taskbar and it slides away when you don’t need it, something like that. submitted by /u/Chekhof_AP [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 Sets “tabbed windows” feature might be making a comeback

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Sets “tabbed windows” feature might be making a comeback: Windows 10 Sets, a new tabbed Windows experience that was first previewed in November 2017, might be coming back in next year’s major update. Microsoft included Windows 10 Sets in the preview builds for two times but the feature was removed at a later stage prior to the...
  7. !! Android like widget !!

!! Android like widget !!: Hi. Does Windows have any decent looking compact ish date countdown timers? I used to have a Chromebook where i used a widget to keep me up to date about when my next exam was. They were simple, good looking and great, any ideas? Cheers, ste 121348
  8. .gadgets

in Windows 10 Customization
    .gadgets: Reinstalled Windows 10 also installed bitdefender internet security 2019 ( two days deleted) now have gadgets installed clicked on small icons and uninstalled them put still have space when I right click desk t.op that says gadgets. went to "turn windows features on off"no...
  9. Gadgets

Gadgets: Are Gadgets still available in Windows 10? I found out that the 2 folders where Gadgets were stored in 7, are still in 10: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets = for ALL users C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets = for specified...
  10. Widgets and Gadgets?

Widgets and Gadgets?: Hello Folks, New Member here, . First I would like to thank everyone on these forums that have provided fixes, and answers to this MS New OS called Win10. For Months now I have had nothing but issues getting this OS to install, and work without issues. Win10 Forums has had...