Windows 10: Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!

Discus and support Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I was trying to save space off my SDD so I decided to move my Captures folder to D: I tried copying and pasting it there but it didn't work, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hussein Berjaoui, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!

Hello

I was trying to save space off my SDD so I decided to move my Captures folder to D:

I tried copying and pasting it there but it didn't work, so I pressed properties and then elected location, then move and chose D:

For some reason, I opened D and the screen captures were all around D and not in the captures folder...

Now my games save in videos as a default folder (not even in a proper Captures folder) and I can't manage to fix it.

Also, when I click on properties in D:, and press move to default location, it shows the videos folder where the capture folder was originally (but error when I try to move it)

What I can do to fix this? I want

1) a proper folder to the game screenshots and not randomly saved in videos (I tried creating it myself but still doesn't save there)

2) Fix the default location of my D: drive as it's worrying me badly

:)

Hussein Berjaoui, Jan 9, 2019

2. Captures folder gone and I can't record games

Thanks for the response. Let's further isolate this concern, by trying to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings.

How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

• Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.
    • Click on Game DVR on the left side, and click/tap on the Open folder button on the right side to open your Captures folder at its current location.

Note: If you want, you could also open the Xbox app, click/tap on the Settings (gear) button on the left menu, click/tap on the Game DVR tab, and click/tap on the Open folder link under Saving captures to open your Captures folder at its current location.
    • Right click or press and hold on an empty space in your Captures folder, and click/tap on Properties.
    • Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Restore Default button.
    • Click/tap on OK.
    • If the "Captures" folder does not exist, then click/tap on Yes to create it.
    • Click/tap on Yes to move all files from the old location to the new location.
    • After a brief moment, your Captures folder will be restored to its default location.

Let us know how it goes.

Wilfred Mac, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Dude Win User
    Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10  

Hmm, its being a pita. It seems you need to do more than drag and drop. Look below and see if this helps you

How to change the Captures folder for Windows Game DVR
    In order to change the default location where your game clips and screenshots are saved on Windows 10, use the following steps:

Open File Explorer.
    Click on This PC.
    Browse the following path:

C:\Users\%username%\Videos

Right-click the Captures folder and select Properties.

Click the on the Location tab.
    Click the Move button.

Browse to the new location to store your Captures folder.
    On the top-left corner, click the New folder button.
    Name the folder Captures and press Enter.
    Select the newly created folder, and click Select Folder.

Quick Tip: Avoid selecting the root of a drive (for example, EGame captures folders moved to D: is now gone! :), as you will get an error message trying to restore your default settings in the future. In addition, using the default Game DVR settings, it's also possible to select a network share folder as the new location, if you have a network-attached storage (NAS) or a computer in your local network with more available storage. While this works over a Wi-Fi connection, you'll get better performance using an Ethernet (wired) network connection.
    Click Apply.
    Click Yes to confirm the move.

Click OK.
    Using these instructions, you're only changing and moving the Captures folder, and it's not necessary to relocate the Videos folder and all its content, which you may still want to keep in the same location. Once you complete the steps, Game DVR will automatically continue to save your screenshots and clips in the new location without additional configurations in Settings or in the Xbox app.

You can quickly confirm that Game DVR is using the new location on Settings > Gaming > Game DVR, and then checking the folder path for screenshots and games clips, which now should reflect the new location. Or in the Xbox app, you can go to Settings > Game DVR, and check the location for Saving captures.

Dude, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Jma Group Win User

Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!

Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata

Oh and i forgot to mention the captures folder on my D: drive was the one previously being used but as you see from the properties it has lost all affinity to the magic win 10 game dvr settings. i have to wonder, does the captures folder contain a configuration
    file that somehow got deleted. I really just wish windows 10 was smart enough to create a new capture folder rather than permanently default to temp folder

Jma Group, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!

1. Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone! - Similar Threads - Game captures folders

2. How to change game capture location without physically moving the folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change game capture location without physically moving the folder?: I'm not sure when this happened, but somehow, at some point, the captures folder was set to my temp folderIt seems a result, it has issues saving my captures. I've ignored the issue until this point, but its infuriating at this point to not have a quick way to record a short...
  3. Folders are gone now...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders are gone now...: Hello,I am using the new windows system 11, and I just got a system upgraded. but after the system completed the upgrade and restarted, I click "This PC" to open my files, all those folds such as Download, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc ... all of those folders disappeared....
  4. Folders are gone now...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders are gone now...: Hello,I am using the new windows system 11, and I just got a system upgraded. but after the system completed the upgrade and restarted, I click "This PC" to open my files, all those folds such as Download, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc ... all of those folders disappeared....
  5. The Captures folder is gone and I did not delete it !!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Captures folder is gone and I did not delete it !!!: Hello everyone, I have a problem : The Captures folder is gone and I did not delete it !!! When I search for: C: \ Users \ world champion \ Videos \ Captures I see the folder, with a double click an error appears: "The Captures item to which this shortcut refers is changed or...
  6. Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder: [ATTACH] My xbox game capture is in my temp folder and I want to move it, but cannot. Can anyone help me with this issue. https://preview.redd.it/lfhtowhptcn41.png?width=473&format=png&auto=webp&s=bb2269d1abc92733b73af6bde5e3f6a5ee319a1c submitted by /u/realjrjelly...
  7. Unable to "move" Captures folder for Xbox Bar Captures

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to "move" Captures folder for Xbox Bar Captures: I have followed several tutorials to "move" the captures folder. But the problem is, I don't have one. This is where it has been pointing: [img] I am kind of at a loss, since all the help I have currently seen has shown how to move the existing captures folder. Thanks!...
  8. D Drive and Download Folder Gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D Drive and Download Folder Gone: After a recent Windows 10 update my D Drive disappeared, and with it all folders and files stored under 'Downloads' (on my C drive). I use a DELL XPS13 laptop. The files are rather important in nature (work), and I would love to recover them. I tried to run a recovery...
  9. Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata: Hello i am having a very annoying issue where for some odd reason windows decided to end its relationship with the game dvr capture folder and is saving to this path "C:\Users\monst\AppData\Local\Temp" which renders the normal method of changing the folder unavailable. is...
  10. Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10. However, you can also use...