Windows 10: Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10

Discus and support Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So, I've recently installed the game Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition on my PC with Windows 10 Pro. It is an older game from 2008 and each time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Roygarth, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Roygarth Win User

Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10

So, I've recently installed the game Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition on my PC with Windows 10 Pro. It is an older game from 2008 and each time I try to start a new game from the main menu, the game crashes to my desktop. I then followed the advice from the Windows 10 notification I received when I first launched the game to download some updated files if the software (the game) didn't work properly. It led me to download the app Games for Windows Marketplace. I made a new account and whenever I try to sign in with it, the program stops responding. The white progress wheel freezes partway at the login window and mousing over the window just gives me the blue progress wheel spinning forever.

I have also tried running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7, 8, and XP and all as an administrator too. Nothing has worked so far and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I only learned this game had compatibility issues with Windows 10 after the fact. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

Roygarth, Mar 23, 2019

2. Windows 10 Game Compatibility

Hello Debie,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

There are some programs that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the programs compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode. If you can access the executable (.exe)
    file for the game, I would suggest you to follow the below provided steps:

Step 1: Download and save the game on the desktop.

Step 2: Install the game in compatibility mode.

• Right click on the .exe file, and click on Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • Select Windows 8 (or any other compatible OS) in the list of Operating systems.
    • Click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to install the game and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Reboot your computer.
    Additional information:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Mar 23, 2019
  3. Angela Pun, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10

compatibility issues with wild tanget games in Windows 10.

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What is the exact error message you get?

• Do you get error code prior or following the error message?

If the driver, application, game or the software of the older operating system fails to work properly in the current operating system, you can always make it programmable in the
    compatibility mode.

I suggest you to run the game in compatibility mode by following the steps below:

Compatibility mode runs the program in the current version of Windows using the settings from previous version of Windows.

• Locate and right-click on the game setup file and click on
      properties.

• Click on the compatibility tab, check the box
      Run this program in compatibility mode for, select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer for the effective changes to take place.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10

1. Game Compatibility Issue with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Game Compatibility Issue

2. Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snapchat Compatibility Issue on Windows 10: I'm facing compatibility problems with Snapchat on my Windows 10 laptop. The app doesn't run smoothly, and certain features are malfunctioning even after reinstalling and updating. Has anyone encountered similar issues with Snapchat on Windows 10? I appreciate any insights or...
  3. Mod Compatible Games for Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Mod Compatible Games for Windows 10: I was wondering if there is some sort of list that has all current games that are Mod Compatible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mod-compatible-games-for-windows-10/5b135766-1452-4243-96ff-07a444e5d7c1
  4. Game compatibility problems in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Game compatibility problems in Windows 10: I have a lot of old Windows XP PC games I have been trying to run on my new Windows 10 PC. Some install and run fine. Some do not install at all. Some install fine but do not run runtime errors. Is there any way to fix these compatibility issues?...
  5. Old game compatibility with windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game compatibility with windows 10: So I wanted to play an old game that I used to play on windows xp(the lord of the rings the battle for the middle-earth). I inserted the cd on an external dvd player or whatever it is. It reads the cd correctly and I installed the program. After installing it I tried running...
  6. Classic games not compatible with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Classic games not compatible with Windows 10?: Where can I find a list of games that don't work with Windows 10? I've spent hours trying to get a popular old game to work, researched all the answers, did it all, and still nothing works. The compatibility troubleshooter wont even test the programs when hit "test program"...
  7. Games compatible with windows 10 (1809)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games compatible with windows 10 (1809): Does anyone know if the following games are compatible with Windows 10 (version 1809) Grand theft Auto San Andreas (CD version) along with the san andreas multiplayer game Flight simulator X (comes with 3 discs including the acceleration pack) I did some research on both of...
  8. Game not compatible with windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Game not compatible with windows 10: I bought a couple games and didn't realize they were for "Windows 2000/XP/Windows Vista (only)". Is there any way I can get around this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-not-compatible-with-windows-10/fbf294c1-f1fa-4c33-a7f4-66be7acb21fc
  9. Games compatible with windows 10 (1809)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Games compatible with windows 10 (1809): Does anyone know if the following games are compatible with Windows 10 (version 1809) Grand theft Auto San Andreas (CD version) along with the san andreas multiplayer game Flight simulator X (comes with 3 discs including the acceleration pack) I did some research on both of...
  10. Windows 10 compatibility setting issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 compatibility setting issue: Dear Community! I have a strange issue with the Windows 10 compatibility mode. (Running Win 10 Pro 64bit, with the latest updates) We have an old application installed on a Windows 2008 VM and we run it on client PCs via a share. (No installation, just creating a shortcut)...