Windows 10: Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting

Discus and support Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I started installing Sea of Thieves to my new laptop a few days ago, only to find that a massive 100GB of disk space has been taken for a game which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bnetquery, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Bnetquery Win User

Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting

I started installing Sea of Thieves to my new laptop a few days ago, only to find that a massive 100GB of disk space has been taken for a game which lists only 50GB or slightly over, as required for install.

The laptop is for work, however, I fancied testing out the game as a bit of a pastime and to see what my new laptop can do, naturally, out of curiosity.

As the install was taking quite some time, I changed my mind mid-way through and cancelled the installation, only to find that the space reserved for the install had not actually returned to my disk. I thought that perhaps I should finish the installation and properly uninstall the game afterwards. So I restarted the installation, it very quickly returned to its previous progress so I am guessing this is evidence that the installation files remained locally saved and I let the installation finish. At this point, I was 100GB down. I have now uninstalled the game from windows, and I am still 50GB down. There is one single app I personally installed on my laptop, a system clean-up app, storage space requied numbers in KB, minimal.

Also note, the game didn't work when it installed, so no luck trying it out in the end anyway. Insult to injury...

Everything else is stock, along with some HP software. Despite this, my 512GB SSD, with 476GB of usable space, and what should be between 420-430GB of available space this is how much space I had before Sea of Thieves came into the equation, and how much space I remember having available on the laptop from new, allowing for system files is showing at 370GB free space.

Why am I missing 50GB+ of space? In fact, the differential amount is exactly 53 or so GB, the same as the Sea of Thieves install on the Windows Xbox app.

Did the games files go onto my PC twice? I found some other threads on here advising the use of storage sense and deleting temp files. None of these have flagged any cached or temp files of any significance. In fact, system & reserved space is showing at 94.9GB, double the amount it was before I installed the game. Is the game sitting somewhere in the system files?

If anyone is able to help me recover my missing storage space, I would be most grateful. I don't want to have to factory reset the computer over a faulty installation of a single game!

I am not very advanced with computers/windows, there is only so much I can do. Is anyone able to advise?

:)

Bnetquery, Dec 31, 2020
  2. Maria Fab Win User

Windows 10: Windows folder takes up 50Gb of space

Hi Alexey,

To help resolve your concern, try the following steps:

• Delete all Temporary Files. In the search box, type
      %Temp%
      . Under the temporary folder, press CTRL+A to select all temporary files and folders, right-click and then delete all.
    • Type optimize in the search box and then select Defragment and Optimize Drives.

Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting 5ee6d3a6-c411-42de-bc74-a986abf53be0.png

3. In the Optimize Drives window, select the drive
    (CGame still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting :) and then click Analyze for the system to verify how big is the space that needs to be optimized.

Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting 7187d3f9-5410-4deb-a1c4-bc2269713e5c.png

4. Let it run and once it's done, click Optimize. (Note: This procedure may take longer depending on the size of the used space.)

5. After optimizing drivers, scan your PC using your antivirus program.

Let us know how it goes.

Maria Fab, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Alex#85 Win User
    How to delete error reports taking up disk space?

How to delete error reports taking up disk space? Step by step and how to access the directory(ies) needed. Thank you

Alex#85, Dec 31, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

1. Did you empty the recycle bin ? If not, empty it.
    2. Delete the contents under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are downloaded Windows Updates files and already installed.
    3. Open Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      This should remove all the no longer used by component store. Will take a while to run.

topgundcp, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting - Similar Threads - Game still taking

2. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  3. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  4. Deleted game taking up space in Apps and Features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted game taking up space in Apps and Features: Hello,I was given a computer by a friend that had Star Wars: The Old Republic on it. I don't play that game, so I uninstalled it by deleting the Electronic Arts folder in OS C: > Program Files x86. No more files from the game exist on the computer to my knowledge.However,...
  5. Deleted torrent file still taking up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted torrent file still taking up space: I was using free download manager today in order to install a torrent file, I realized that the torrent file was way too big and the download size was way too slow, it said would take 11 weeks to install and it was installing like one KB per second. I deleted the torrent file...
  6. Hibernation still taking up space after disabling?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernation still taking up space after disabling?: Hello, In Storage settings I noticed that the "Hibernation file" takes 6,37GB of space. After disabling Hibernation mode as well as Hybrid mode in the Advanced Power settings the Hibernation file still takes up the same amount of space. I do have Sleep mode enabled but that...
  7. DeliveryOptimization Cache Taking Up 50gb of space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DeliveryOptimization Cache Taking Up 50gb of space: I have run through a disk cleanup before and it didn't take any of it off, I was wondering if I could just delete the big file. Thank you, The Doctor that is drunk submitted by /u/Drunken_Dictato [link] [comments]...
  8. Deleted files but it's still showing as taking up space.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted files but it's still showing as taking up space.: So i linked my Google Drive with my Windows 10 ASUS Laptop. After realizing how much space it took up i ended up deleting it. I went into control panel and deleted it, emptied it from my recycle bin but it's still showing all the space being used. Under my pc i search DRIVE...
  9. I deleted Windows.old but it still takes up space

I deleted Windows.old but it still takes up space: Hello. I recently updated my windows 10 pro to the 1909 version. Then i went to disk cleanup and chose the "windows update cleanup" option and it deleted the folder Windows.old but it didnt free up space as much as it should. I only have like 33 gigs worth of stuff out of...
  10. Windows 10 taking up 50GB

Windows 10 taking up 50GB: Hello. Windows 10 on my laptop is taking up 50!! GB. This cant be right? What can i do? This is a picture from TreeSize run as admin [ATTACH] And heres another one when i look into WinSxs [ATTACH] I can understand windows taking up 10-20 gb but 50gb is just stupid....