Windows 10: Game takes up to 5 attempts to launch, other apps launch, then close

Discus and support Game takes up to 5 attempts to launch, other apps launch, then close in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) Some utility apps (e.g. Jam Software's Ultra Search) open and then instantly close. Some startup apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HoggyDog, May 4, 2021.

1. HoggyDog Win User

Game takes up to 5 attempts to launch, other apps launch, then close

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) Some utility apps (e.g. Jam Software's Ultra Search) open and then instantly close. Some startup apps (e.g. Logitech Gaming Software) start at boot but do not do their job, requiring manual restart to actually work. Skyrim Special Edition is unpredictable when I click its shortcut to launch it- sometimes it starts right up, other times it can take up to 5 attempts to actually launch it. I have been using Windows since DOS days, and Windows 10 is the first version that interprets user commands as mere suggestions. I would very much appreciate some knowledgeable insight as to why it does this and what I can do to whip it into shape.

:)

HoggyDog, May 4, 2021

2. Launching games

Hi Wesley,

Windows 10 is gamer-friendly by design. If an issue like being unable to launch a game happens, it can be caused by outdated display driver or other factors that cause conflict when launching the app. For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask for additional
    information. Please answer the following:

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you getting an error message when launching the game?
    • Have you made any changes to the settings or installed updates prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • What specific games are you having issues with?

We will wait for your response.

Jennifer Cha, May 5, 2021
  3. Gears 5 won't launch

I've been playing Gears 5 since day 1 with no problem but 3 days ago after I downloaded a 700MB update I can't launch the game anymore it doesn't give me any error it only redirects me to the Gaming Services page on the store. I've tried uninstalling and
    installing Gaming Services like others suggested but same thing happens. my windows is updated and I've updated every app I have on the store. My other games work fine it's just Gears 5 that won't launch I tried launching it from the store and start menu but
    it just redirects me to the gaming services again.

MohamadRZ98, May 5, 2021
  4. Game takes up to 5 attempts to launch, other apps launch, then close

Unable to launch many gaming related apps/MS store/gamepass games

• I am unable to launch game bar on my PC (appears to open but closes instantly) - it WAS working fine a few days ago.
    • I am unable to launch microsoft store on my PC (appears to open but closes instantly) - it WAS working fine a few days ago.
    • I cannot open xbox console companion on windows (appears to open but closes instantly)
    • Many gamepass games won't launch, some say im not logged in (but i obviously am logged into my gamepass account)

I have tried a number of solutions I found on the internet from simple reinstall to running various command prompt and powershell commands, I have ensured I have folder and file permissions for the microsoft apps folder on this account.

Because I cannot launch the microsoft store I can't attempt to reinstall some items.

teardropphoenix, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Game takes up to 5 attempts to launch, other apps launch, then close

1. Game takes up to 5 attempts to launch, other apps launch, then close - Similar Threads - Game takes attempts

2. Epic games not launching properly and keeps closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Epic games not launching properly and keeps closing: On my windows11 installed hp Victus the epic games launcher opens for a split second to a blank application screen and then closes the launcher and I am unable to use the app, is there anything I can do to run it properly?...
  3. Forza Horizon 5 game launch error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forza Horizon 5 game launch error: I own Forza Horizon 5 ,I bought the game for Rs5279/-. i'm getting "App failed to launch because its trial licence has expired" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forza-horizon-5-game-launch-error/299a06c3-3513-4ad8-b625-866d12b5f5f2
  4. Forza Horizon 5 game launch error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forza Horizon 5 game launch error: I own Forza Horizon 5 ,I bought the game for Rs5279/-. i'm getting "App failed to launch because its trial licence has expired" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forza-horizon-5-game-launch-error/299a06c3-3513-4ad8-b625-866d12b5f5f2
  5. Why are some games launching and other games are NOT launching? - Windows 10 Pro Version...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why are some games launching and other games are NOT launching? - Windows 10 Pro Version...: I have been enjoying the AMD Radeon Driver 21.6.2 because of support for Vulkan Ray Tracing in Doom Eternal. All was going well Friday night on July 9, 2021 while playing Doom Eternal. Then got off Doom to hangout with some friends on Discord. Then after the Discord hangout,...
  6. Windows Calculator app does not launch/ Closes immediately when launched.

Windows Calculator app does not launch/ Closes immediately when launched.: my computer updated with another windows update, upon this the Windows Calculator app does not launch/ Closes immediately when launched. i have tried a reset on app, uninstall and reinstall. still not working...
  7. Gears 5 will not launch.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears 5 will not launch.: I've been playing Gears 5 since launch, I built a new PC yesterday and installed the game, it will not launch when i click on the icon. I've tried searching for fixes but I have found none. Games from Steam and Uplay will launch and play fine. My windows is up to date as...
  8. Gears 5 will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears 5 will not launch: I have uninstalled and re installed Gears 5 many times on my PC and it still will not work. I have also done the same with Forza 7 and that will not work either. The only game I have been able to get to run is Halo Master Chief Collection. PC Specs - Nvidia Gigabyte 2080ti...
  9. Windows Calculator app does not launch/ Closes immediately when launched.

Windows Calculator app does not launch/ Closes immediately when launched.: Hi Microsoft Community, I really hope that you can provide a possible solution to my problem. I'm an employee working for an MNC and supporting internal users. One of my user has a problem with Windows calculator app. The Windows Calculator app does not launch/ Closes...
  10. DVD app closes at launch

DVD app closes at launch: Windows DVD has played in the past but now will close at launch. Asks to put in a dvd, says "loading" then closes completely. Troubleshooter says it cant play with USB 3.0, needs USB 2.0. Is there an upgrade? How do I get it to play again? Thanks!...