Windows 10: GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets

Discus and support GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two days ago, my drawing tablet began missing my inputs. My pen would be on the screen, but the cursor would not move, or it would move seconds after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TimPV, Sep 9, 2020.

1. TimPV Win User

GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets

Two days ago, my drawing tablet began missing my inputs. My pen would be on the screen, but the cursor would not move, or it would move seconds after I had moved the pen. For reference, I had purchased my tablet 2 years ago and have not had this problem before.

After noticing this problem, I looked at my installed programs and I discovered that Gaming services and Gameinput Redistributable had been installed on my PC the day that my Tablet started experiencing this error. After doing some searching on the internet, I have found other people complaining about this exact program, and now I am wondering if this is the culprit.

PC specs built November 2014:

Processor: Intel I7 5820K

Graphics Card: NVidia Geforce GTX 980

Ram:16 GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Xtreme 6

Boot Drive purchased November 2019: Samsung Qvo 860 2TB SSD

Tablet Specs purchased September 2018:

Huion Kamvas Pro 13

:)

TimPV, Sep 9, 2020

2. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

I don't necessarily want to uninstall the GameInput Redistributable. What I really want to do is figure out what, exactly, is blocking that update. Microsoft's told us it's blocked because of reasons. But, they've given us no visibility into what those
    reasons are (in my case, I'm just guessing it's GameInput Redistributable because it keeps popping up in Reliability Monitor and nothing else in their list seems to apply) or what, if any, progress is being made. For all I know, it's some trivial, unused
    thing on these systems. Or, perhaps something that's not being maintained any more and will never be fixed. I really doubt that either of those things apply. But, if MS is going to stick that warning label up in Windows Update, they really need to give
    more information.

oreveredrist, Sep 9, 2020
  3. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

From the Windows status document I referenced in my OP, it looks like they've resolved the GameInput Redistributable thing. And, the update is now available to me in Windows Update.

4. GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets

"GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

Since sometime before 02 June 2020, two of our three computers have been showing the following under Windows Update:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

and it points to the following page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

The only possible blocker for us on tha page is the GameInput Redistributable one. Checking Windows 10's Reliability Monitor, I see that GameInput Redistributable has been successfully reconfiguring upon every boot. So that appears to be the issue. Apparently,
    Microsoft is the owner of that software. But, does anyone know what it does, what's using it, and how to get rid of it?

I'd seen comments that the Xbox stuff in Windows 10 used it. So, I uninstalled all of that that I could (Windows 10 won't let me uninstall Xbox Gamebar) and also uninstalled GameInput Redistributable. Upon rebooting, Windows promptly re-installed the Redistributable.
    Just below the Redistributable, there's Microsoft's "Gaming Services" app. But, Windows won't let me uninstall that.

To see if some kind of hardware wanted the Redistributable, I went to Device Manager and told it to show hidden devices. I couldn't find either my Xbox controller or Steam controller there, so I guess I hadn't even tried them out on this install of Windows.
    So, I plugged them in, installed them, checked for updates, uninstalled them and re-uninstalled the Redistributable. Windows still re-installed the Redistributable upon reboot.

The only other gaming stuff on the computers is Steam. So, I turned off its autostart option, shut it down, re-re-uninstalled the Redistributable and rebooted. Even with Steam not starting, Windows reinstalled the Redistributable.

I'm at a loss. What else could be demanding the presence of this GameInput Redistributable and forcing its re-installation? Neither of these two computers has anything special installed. But, I can't imagine the issue is with a standard, pre-installed
    Windows app or with something extremely common like game controllers or Steam (the internet would be flooded with the issue by now and there's not much out there (and nothing at all helpful)).

Thema:

GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets

1. GameInput redistributable and drawing tablets - Similar Threads - GameInput redistributable drawing

2. How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?: Hey guys, since a short while ago my laptop keeps crashing at random intervals. Not cool, but anyways. After checking the Reliability Monitor, ''GameInput Redistributable'' is acting up; at the exact same time my laptop freezes, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I'm sick of this needless...
  3. Laptop Freezes because GameInput Redistributable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Freezes because GameInput Redistributable: My quite brand new Asus Tuf Gaming Laptop seems to have started freezing at 9/20/2020 and from the reliability monitor and some digging around it feels like its being caused by GameInput Redistributable, though i am not 100% sure if its the problem. Any help or tips on...
  4. Correct drawing tablet and program?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Correct drawing tablet and program?: I have an Asus laptop (5 years old, Windows 10) and would like to draw digitally. So programs are available to me Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator CS2. Which drawing tablet is cheap but also good and which freeware would be best? I would like to be able to color...
  5. How to permenantly remove GameInput Redistributable?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permenantly remove GameInput Redistributable?: Hi, I've been having this problem where GameInput Redistributable causes my pc to freeze completely and crash everything on the screen freezes, the num lock test doesn't work, ctrl+alt+dlt doesn't work. The only solution I had is to uninstall the feature and my PC works...
  6. Using android tablet as drawing tablet for windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using android tablet as drawing tablet for windows: What apps can I use to use my android tablet as a writing tablet? Aside how do I know these apps/other apps are safe? particularly when they are not part of windows store or......
  7. Calibrating drawing tablet??

Calibrating drawing tablet??: I recently got a new laptop and I am having trouble setting up a tablet. Everything went smoothly with the installation, however the pen is not calibrated correctly and although I can select the option, nothing comes up on the screen after I tap the first cross hair. I have...
  8. GameInput Redistributable, does anybody know what this is?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GameInput Redistributable, does anybody know what this is?: I found it installed in my programs list today: https://i.imgur.com/LnfnsPU.png Apparently it's from Microsoft, but I can't find any official info on it. There's another recent thread about it here and nobody there knows what it is either. submitted by /u/sheburns...
  9. Drawing tablets

Drawing tablets: So i bought a tablet back in April, it was working just fine. Up until recently where i ran into a problem. 2 weeks ago, my tablet started to not work, it is a Star G430s Xp-pen. It does not have battery and is wired, when i plugged it in the USB port, the light only blinked...
  10. Using a Drawing Tablet on Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Using a Drawing Tablet on Windows: So I'm trying to use a drawing tablet to use on certain programs and websites, and I get this writing popup that I haven't been able to figure out how to disable and it just infinitely blocks a portion of my screen. Closing it off just reopens it again once I put my pen to my...