Windows 10: "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

Discus and support "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since sometime before 02 June 2020, two of our three computers have been showing the following under Windows Update: "Feature update to Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oreveredrist, Jun 10, 2020.

1. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

Since sometime before 02 June 2020, two of our three computers have been showing the following under Windows Update:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004
    The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

and it points to the following page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

The only possible blocker for us on tha page is the GameInput Redistributable one. Checking Windows 10's Reliability Monitor, I see that GameInput Redistributable has been successfully reconfiguring upon every boot. So that appears to be the issue. Apparently, Microsoft is the owner of that software. But, does anyone know what it does, what's using it, and how to get rid of it?

I'd seen comments that the Xbox stuff in Windows 10 used it. So, I uninstalled all of that that I could Windows 10 won't let me uninstall Xbox Gamebar and also uninstalled GameInput Redistributable. Upon rebooting, Windows promptly re-installed the Redistributable. Just below the Redistributable, there's Microsoft's "Gaming Services" app. But, Windows won't let me uninstall that.

To see if some kind of hardware wanted the Redistributable, I went to Device Manager and told it to show hidden devices. I couldn't find either my Xbox controller or Steam controller there, so I guess I hadn't even tried them out on this install of Windows. So, I plugged them in, installed them, checked for updates, uninstalled them and re-uninstalled the Redistributable. Windows still re-installed the Redistributable upon reboot.

The only other gaming stuff on the computers is Steam. So, I turned off its autostart option, shut it down, re-re-uninstalled the Redistributable and rebooted. Even with Steam not starting, Windows reinstalled the Redistributable.

I'm at a loss. What else could be demanding the presence of this GameInput Redistributable and forcing its re-installation? Neither of these two computers has anything special installed. But, I can't imagine the issue is with a standard, pre-installed Windows app or with something extremely common like game controllers or Steam the internet would be flooded with the issue by now and there's not much out there and nothing at all helpful.

:)

oreveredrist, Jun 10, 2020
  2. Skadia42 Win User

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2010 Installation Error

Hello,

I've tried all the steps and none of them worked.

• Method 1 did not work because the Fix It said it doesn't run on my operating system.
    • I was able to do Method 2 but it did not fix the issue.
    • I was also able to do Method 3 but that did not fix the issue.
    I also tried to install the VC++ Redistributable Package while doing a clean boot but that did not work.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far.

Skadia42, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Visual C++ Redistributable won't install?

This issue might if the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package is not installed properly.

I suggest you to uninstall any existing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package to check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the exiting Microsoft Visual C++.

a) Press Windows key + x key and select
    Programs and Features

b) Right click on the Microsoft Visual C++ and uninstall it.

Step 2: Download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ and install it.

Refer to the below link:

Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Andre Da Costa, Jun 15, 2020
  4. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) install problem

Thanks for the update on the result of you performing the suggested troubleshooting steps. Since you're still getting the error message, we suggest that you get in touch with the application developer to verify the compatibility of the app with Windows 10
    as well as confirm what other components it needs to install properly. The reason we are suggesting this is that the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages are generally pre-installed in the Windows operating system and additional Microsoft Visual C++
    2008 SP1 Redistributable Packages may require an additional license to install.

Regards.

Jordan Dom, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

"GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it?

1. "GameInput Redistributable" -- What is it, what's using it, how to get rid of it? - Similar Threads - GameInput Redistributable what's

2. What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?: What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?I saw something called ‘Microsoft GameInput’ in control panel what is that ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-microsoft-gameinput/e053b494-de33-4a89-afa2-fb2bbbf69d1e
  3. What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?: What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?I saw something called ‘Microsoft GameInput’ in control panel what is that ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-microsoft-gameinput/e053b494-de33-4a89-afa2-fb2bbbf69d1e
  4. What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is ‘Microsoft GameInput’?: I saw something called ‘Microsoft GameInput’ in control panel earlier and I’mnot sure what it is. It says it’s from Microsoft Corporation. Is this legit? What does it do?...
  6. What is microsoft Gameinput,what is its use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is microsoft Gameinput,what is its use?: What is microsoft Gameinput,what is its use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-microsoft-gameinputwhat-is-its-use/fc8745d3-4507-4273-b4c2-b8d0fb75b170
  7. How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get rid of GameInput Redistributable permanently?: Hey guys, since a short while ago my laptop keeps crashing at random intervals. Not cool, but anyways. After checking the Reliability Monitor, ''GameInput Redistributable'' is acting up; at the exact same time my laptop freezes, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I'm sick of this needless...
  8. How to permenantly remove GameInput Redistributable?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permenantly remove GameInput Redistributable?: Hi, I've been having this problem where GameInput Redistributable causes my pc to freeze completely and crash everything on the screen freezes, the num lock test doesn't work, ctrl+alt+dlt doesn't work. The only solution I had is to uninstall the feature and my PC works...
  9. GameInput Redistributable, does anybody know what this is?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GameInput Redistributable, does anybody know what this is?: I found it installed in my programs list today: https://i.imgur.com/LnfnsPU.png Apparently it's from Microsoft, but I can't find any official info on it. There's another recent thread about it here and nobody there knows what it is either. submitted by /u/sheburns...
  10. cpu miner what is the use for it and how to get rid of it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cpu miner what is the use for it and how to get rid of it: hey guys, CPU MINER comes up in the task manager (something to do with Bitcoins) and i want to get rid of it. Do not find anything in the registry, in fact do not find it anywhere. But i do not want it. Is there a program or something that i can do to solve this...