Windows 10: Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in

Discus and support Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; On my system when you plugin usb game controllers the 2nd monitor will lose signal and the screen will flicker until windows crashes and logs me out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Yung Headshots, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in

On my system when you plugin usb game controllers the 2nd monitor will lose signal and the screen will flicker until windows crashes and logs me out entirely. The issue is 100% tied to Gameinputredit.dll because I wrote a script that disables it and the issue goes away. This applies to both Windows 10 and 11

:)

Yung Headshots, Jun 19, 2022

2. Sidewinder Game Controller Software 4.0

Hi Willard,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to download Sidewinder Game Controller Software 4.0

• Disconnect the game controller from your computer's universal serial bus (USB) port.
    • Insert the Microsoft Sidewinder compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Hold down the SHIFT key to prevent installation from automatically starting.
    • On your desktop, double-click My Computer, and then browse to the following file:
      CD-ROM drive:\Setup\Setup.exe
    • Double-click Setup.exe to start the installation process.
    • Restart your computer when prompted.
    • Plug the SideWinder game controller into your computer's USB port, and then allow Microsoft Windows to detect and install it.

Install the software update if the controller is the Sidewinder Game Controller Software 4.0
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jun 19, 2022
  3. Tanmay123 Win User
    Games work fine on battery but crash when plugged in

Hello guys

My laptop is a HP (Win 10, Intel i5-6200U, AMD Radeon R5 M330 2GB Graphics, 8Gb RAM)

Since last week I am facing a weird problem where my games (War Thunder, Civ6, GTA5) work fine on battery power but crash after plugging in the charger. (The laptop doesn't crash just the game becomes unresponsive). If I launch them when plugged
    in, they crash after a few seconds. Steps i have already taken

1. Updated display drivers
    2. Reinstalled display drivers
    3. Changed power plan settings
    4. Reinstalled Windows 10
    5. Reinstalled the games
    6. Unplugged all connected device
    This is an extremely irritating issue so any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

Tanmay123, Jun 19, 2022
  4. Finngon Win User

Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in

Game Controller Settings Window (Windows Common Shell DLL) freezes

As the title says, I've had this issue since around 1st the June now when a Windows update came out.

What happens is that seemingly regardless if I have controllers plugged in or not, and if it's plugged in, it doesn't matter what kind of controller I plug in, the Game Controller Settings (Windows Common Shell DLL, shell32.dll) window keeps freezing all the time. It'll unfreeze for a little moment before freezing once more.

This wouldn't be too big of an issue - if it wouldn't also impact Steam and games, making it take few minutes for first Steam to recognize the controller - and then a minute or more for Steam to actually assign the controller to work in-game.

I've gone to Microsoft Support about this all the time now. They've made me do:
    - System Restore
    - Rolling Back to older version
    - In-Place Upgrade
    - Rolling Back again to older version
    - PC Reset
    - and Windows Clean Re-Installation

And each time the problem persists.

I've added the crash report and the msinfo32.txt into the attachment for people to check. Let me know what else I can offer to give more info about.

Thanks in advance.

Finngon, Jun 19, 2022
Thema:

Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in

1. Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in - Similar Threads - Gameinputredist dll crashes

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In: Hi,Is there c# code snippet or any way to execute exe program in window when USB is plugged in?Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-execute-exe-in-window-when-usb-plugged-in/4c5fb3fb-45c7-4317-95ea-7f9faaf2f398
  4. Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In: Hi,Is there c# code snippet or any way to execute exe program in window when USB is plugged in?Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-execute-exe-in-window-when-usb-plugged-in/4c5fb3fb-45c7-4317-95ea-7f9faaf2f398
  5. Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in: On my system when you plugin usb game controllers the 2nd monitor will lose signal and the screen will flicker until windows crashes and logs me out entirely. The issue is 100% tied to Gameinputredit.dll because I wrote a script that disables it and the issue goes away. This...
  7. Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gameinputredist.dll crashes dwm.exe when USB game controllers are plugged in: On my system when you plugin usb game controllers the 2nd monitor will lose signal and the screen will flicker until windows crashes and logs me out entirely. The issue is 100% tied to Gameinputredit.dll because I wrote a script that disables it and the issue goes away. This...
  8. Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In: Is there any way to auto-execute an exe program without using any 3rd party software?I want to execute a Software when a USB device is plugged in.As soon as I plugin the USB the exe should execute and will show a Welcome Screen GUI.The application is developed in .NET Core...
  9. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...
  10. DLL crash when i inject to the game

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DLL crash when i inject to the game: I have a problem that when i click inject on the inject button the program stuck and crash how do i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/dll-crash-when-i-inject-to-the-game/e9c7e09a-4d67-426b-87c8-d4c418e5710a