Windows 10: Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update

Discus and support Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 1909, I'm having an issue where applications do not use the dedicated Nvidia GPU, despite having set programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ksio89, Dec 11, 2019.

1. /u/ksio89 Win User

Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update

Since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 1909, I'm having an issue where applications do not use the dedicated Nvidia GPU, despite having set programs to use the high performance GPU on Nvidia Control Panel. I set NVidia GPU as preferred graphics processor on both global and applications dropdown lists. Even if I right click the shortcut or executable and choose to run the application with Nvidia high performance processor, it will still run on integrated GPU, resulting in less than ideal performance. Actually, in some rare instances the programs will run on Nvidia GPU, but after rebooting the machine, the issue comes back.

I have Nvidia GPU activity icon enabled in the notification area, so I'm able to check whether the dedicated GPU is being used or not, and most of the times it's not. I have already reinstalled Nvidia graphic drivers, but this hasn't fixed the problem. Also uninstalled Nvidia drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, and then let Windows Update download the drivers (version 388.73), but the issue persists.

TL;DR: I don't know what happened after Windows 1909 update, but somehow it screwed up Nvidia Optimus technology, which had always worked perfectly fine before November 2019 update.

Info:

OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language build 18363.535 (version 1909)
    Nvidia drivers version: 441.61
    integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400
    dedicated GPU: GeForce 840M

submitted by /u/ksio89
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ksio89, Dec 11, 2019

2. Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor

So I have a bit of a complicated problem. Up until recently, I've been doing good with my Laptop. It has an igpu and a dedicated gpu. I had 2 monitors, the one directly connected to my laptop was run by the igpu, and the external was run by the dedicated
    gpu. I am on vacation, and don't have access to my second monitor, and now, when I try to run a game with my dedicated graphics card, it will try to pull up the game, but close it, since the dedicated gpu is set to my second monitor. How do I change this?
    My Geforce Experience app isn't working by the way.

RubiksCuber37, Dec 11, 2019
  3. Carlo Fer Win User
    About GPU dedicating.

Hello
    웅황,

The feature that you're looking for in Windows 10 is not available. I suggest that you check with your graphics manufacturer if forcing an app/game to use a dedicated GPU to each task is available with their software.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Carlo Fer, Dec 11, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

My laptop wont fully run on dedicated GPU

Hi Radu

There is no longer a way to get Windows 10 to run on the dedicated GPU, Nvidia removes the Optimus option which allowed us to just use the Nvidia card and ignore the integrated Intel graphics option . . .

On your Desktop, right click a Desktop shortcut for a game or application, on the resulting menu, do you get the option to set that to run on the Dedicated graphics?

Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update 43c79b38-9acb-4240-ac7e-3ec92d6162e9?upload=true.png

DaveM121, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update - Similar Threads - Games applications are

2. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Minecraft not using dedicated gpu: I have an Nvidia 3060 ti and an integrated intel graphics card and when I first got my pc it would run minecraft on super high fps easy. I stopped playing and a year later i cant get over 10 fps with shaders and optifine when before I was fine. MC says im using the intel...
  3. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft not using dedicated gpu: I have an Nvidia 3060 ti and an integrated intel graphics card and when I first got my pc it would run minecraft on super high fps easy. I stopped playing and a year later i cant get over 10 fps with shaders and optifine when before I was fine. MC says im using the intel...
  4. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dell G3 3779 Dedicated GPU issues, not using dedicated gpu?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dell G3 3779 Dedicated GPU issues, not using dedicated gpu?: Hello, so my friend's Dell G3 3779 is not using the Nvidia GPU for gaming and using the integrated one, this is on a freshly installed win10 with latest BIOS, and the latest drivers make it run minecraft at 12 FPS We tried installing older nvidia drivers and the performance...
  6. applications does not use dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    applications does not use dedicated gpu: Hi i'm using amd a8 quad core processor with R5 graphice in my laptop. When i play games windows does not use the dgpu its only uses igpu i also tried to change graphics settings to high performance but it show this [ATTACH]its only showing igpu where is my dgpu and in...
  7. Games and applications are using iGPU instead of Dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games and applications are using iGPU instead of Dedicated GPU: Helloo, I have been facing this issue from 2 weeks now, I usually run games and editing software with Dedicated GPU Nvidia Brand-> Laptop - HP Model-> cx0140tx But now even if I force an application to use this gpu it works on Integrated GPU Intel® UHD Graphics 630. I dont...
  8. Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU: Since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 1909, I'm having an issue where applications do not use the dedicated Nvidia GPU , despite having set programs to use the high performance GPU on Nvidia Control Panel. Even if I right click the shortcut or executable and choose to run...
  9. Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor

Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor: So I have a bit of a complicated problem. Up until recently, I've been doing good with my Laptop. It has an igpu and a dedicated gpu. I had 2 monitors, the one directly connected to my laptop was run by the igpu, and the external was run by the dedicated gpu. I am on...
  10. Cant use dedicated gpu

Cant use dedicated gpu: Hello I'm trying to use my dedicated GPU in place of my integrated but after I saw this [ATTACH] I had no clue what to do so I tied...