Windows 10: Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode

Discus and support Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Regardless of the setting "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked or unchecked, games run in Triple buffering mode rather than in Double buffering... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by StellarDominus, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode

Regardless of the setting "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked or unchecked, games run in Triple buffering mode rather than in Double buffering mode. Take Grand Theft Auto V for instance, the game runs fine in fullscreen mode with Double buffering Vsync until navigated to other applications by pressing "Alt+Tab" and when navigated back to the game, the game is no more running with Double buffering Vsync, which is completely overridden with Triple buffering Vsync instead. The game might look like it is running in Fullscreen mode, but, it actually is not. Toggling between Windowed mode and Fullscreen mode fixes the issue. This issue seems to be completely ignored and many seem to does not care. This leads to inconsistency in input latency, frame pacing and impacts the gaming experience when one is not aware of whether the game is running in actual Fullscreen mode or Borderless windowed mode.

Also, checking "Disable fullscreen optimizations" setting seem to make games run even worse because, no matter what you do like toggling between Windowed mode and Fullscreen mode, the games are forced to run with Triple buffering Vsync. Double buffering Vsync gets completely killed off. Mind you, this affects only when games are running with Vsync enabled obviously. Not sure how it works with it being disabled. Currently, it seems like there is no fix at all unless developers notice this and change the way, the games run.

:)

StellarDominus, Apr 29, 2020
  2. Rekuja72 Win User

Borderless Gaming and forced Vsync/Triple Buffering

It's a known issue and it does force triple buffering,

common problem with 8 and 10. You can see the difference by switching from full to borderless

Rekuja72, Apr 29, 2020
  3. BossDweeb Win User

Oops - I went to check BF4 (using borderless) and did about 20 re-writes and didn't notice you had posted back

(scatter brain poster Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode :D ).

I very much doubt V-sync or Triple buffering is being forced.

( Apparently V-sync can cause a bit of input lag, but Triple Buffering is supposed to sort that out)

If you are not seeing high cpu use from DWM in Task Manager while playing I don't think it would be
    the cause of the lag either.

My understanding is FPS and input lag aren't directly related. Are you using the same monitors and cables

as when you were using Win7 ?

Other than input lag via the monitor, I don't know what the cause would be, and again,

I wouldn't really notice a slight delay in the mouse. My reactions are not young enough Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode ;) .

BossDweeb, Apr 29, 2020
  4. Rekuja72 Win User

Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode

Its weird I'm also using a 980gtx and I have no fps issues whatsoever it's just a really slight input delay on the mouse

it feels like forced sync or triple buffering

problem goes away in fullscreen

Rekuja72, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode

1. Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode - Similar Threads - Games are forced

2. Force games into windowed mode on windows 10 & 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force games into windowed mode on windows 10 & 11: Hello, I'm currently playing Ni no kuni cross world for PC beta, but there is no option to play in windowed mode. Is there a solution for this?...
  3. Force games into windowed mode on windows 10 & 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Force games into windowed mode on windows 10 & 11: Hello, I'm currently playing Ni no kuni cross world for PC beta, but there is no option to play in windowed mode. Is there a solution for this?...
  4. Games run slow unless I force directx12

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Games run slow unless I force directx12: My pc suddenly has problems running a lot of games, while it's specs are quite high.It used to be able to run almost any game, but it currently has issues running any game I try.It has no issues outside of running games, other things work just fine.The games run at about ~15...
  5. Triple Monitor Setup Forces Single Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Triple Monitor Setup Forces Single Refresh Rate: I have three monitors, one 1440p 165Hz display and two 1200p 60Hz displays, for my up to date 2020-10 cumulative update for Windows 10 2004 Windows 10 PC on a dedicated graphics card RX 580. When the two 60 Hz displays are off, the 165 Hz display works at 165 Hz, 144 Hz, and...
  6. Is there any way to disable triple buffering on dwm.exe yet?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to disable triple buffering on dwm.exe yet?: This has been an absolute nightmare for me since I got off of Windows 7, and I know that you can't disable DWM.exe, but can you turn off the triple buffering aspect of it? I have a G-SYNC monitor, so I don't need the syncing from DWM. submitted by /u/ChipsAhoiMcCoy [link]...
  7. Can we force apps to use the "Game Mode"?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can we force apps to use the "Game Mode"?: I'm not a gamer, but Microsoft added a bunch of crap to Windows 10 for games. Odd, because I thought they had a console for that sort of thing. Anyway, I hate to have gadgetry and not use it, so can we leverage this for apps? Would be nice to give After Effects some...
  8. forced battery saving mode while in game

in Windows 10 Customization
    forced battery saving mode while in game: ever since i bought my laptop with windows 10 few years ago, i am having this one problem to which, unfortunately, i could not find any solution to this day. i am traveling a lot and i need to use inverters for charging my laptop and while i am charging - all is fine, but...
  9. Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?: It has just come to my attention that Windows 10 forces triple buffering and V-sync in windowed and borderless-windowed games via Desktop Window Manager. This is baffling to someone who plays latency critical games regularly and uses dual displays, though I would imagine it...
  10. Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering: Hey guys, I've had this problem for a while now and I can't seem to find anything after weeks and weeks of googling Basically, I run my games in Borderless because I have multiple monitors, it's easier for me to switch between monitor 1 and 2 this way. With Windows 7 I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to disable dwm forced vsync