Windows 10: Games no longer work on primary monitor

Discus and support Games no longer work on primary monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I am having an issue where it appears that the I cannot run ANY game on my primary monitor anymore natively. If I run a game at 1920x1080 or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DanDa Man, Aug 30, 2019.

1. DanDa Man Win User

Games no longer work on primary monitor

Hello

I am having an issue where it appears that the I cannot run ANY game on my primary monitor anymore natively.

If I run a game at 1920x1080 or lower resolution, it displays on my secondary monitor which natively runs at x1080. My primary is at 3840x2160. No matter how many times I select 'display 1' in whatever game or program I am using, it still uses the secondary monitor for some reason.

The only workarounds I have found are upping the display resolution or running the game in windowed mode (can't do fullscreen as it just defaults back to secondary monitor for no reason.)

Bonus issue: If I disable the display in Windows, or otherwise unplug it - any game I try to run afterwards doesn't work at all!

Is there any way to fix this issue so that I can get software to properly run on my primary monitor without changing the display resolution? This has really been bugging me and so far nothing has worked.

I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) and have a NVIDIA 980 GTX.

Help?

:)

DanDa Man, Aug 30, 2019

2. How do I make games open on the primary display?

I have 3 monitors on a nvidia GTX660Ti, with the latest drivers, on windows 10, upgraded from win7, on a PC that I have been gaming on for quite some time now. The hardware itself has been an excellent gaming rig up until the windows upgrade and/or the
    nvidia driver upgrade, but now a number of my games will not start on the primary display, they start on the first display in the list, which is not marked as primary. Both the windows display settings and the nvidia control panel have my central monitor
    identified as the primary display.

• Has anybody encountered this behavior?
    • Is it likely to be windows 10 related or decided by the nvidia driver?
    • Any suggestions on getting this to behave properly, like it used to, without requiring me to disable the other displays to get the primary to be used?

Les Ferguson, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Ajhmain Win User
    The taskbar locked to bottom of secondary monitor moves to the primary monitor whenever primary monitor is switched on.

See the title.

I have the taskbar locked at the bottom of the secondary monitor so the primary monitor is completely empty for watching movies, games TV etc.

Whenever I turn the primary monitor on, the taskbar immediately jumps from the bottom of the seconday monitor over to the bottom of the primary monitor. I then need to untick the 'Locked' option on the taskbar, drag it back to the secondary and tick 'Locked'
    again.

The taskbar disrupts desktop icons on the primary and any application running on the primary monitor at the time and quite frustrating.

Primary monitor is an Asus PB328, connected via Display Port to the PC.

Secondary monitor is a Samsung 24 connected via DVI to the PC.

I expect the taskbar to remain where I place it when locked, regardless of monitors been switched on or off.

The sequence of turning on the primary and secondary monitors has no impact. As soon as the primary monitor (Asus on DP) is turned on, the locked taskbar moves to the primary display, regardless of whether the Samsung is on or not.

Ajhmain, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Games no longer work on primary monitor

Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Games no longer work on primary monitor

1. Games no longer work on primary monitor - Similar Threads - Games longer primary

2. Using second monitor when game is running in full screen on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using second monitor when game is running in full screen on primary monitor: I have two problems I would like solved when running a program in full screen mode and trying to use a second monitor.First I want to be able to move my cursor from the full screen game to my second monitor and do stuff in that monitor without the game automatically tabbing...
  3. Using second monitor when game is running in full screen on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using second monitor when game is running in full screen on primary monitor: I have two problems I would like solved when running a program in full screen mode and trying to use a second monitor.First I want to be able to move my cursor from the full screen game to my second monitor and do stuff in that monitor without the game automatically tabbing...
  4. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  5. Icons to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  6. primary monitor stopped working after Windows update. All the fixes rely on the primary...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    primary monitor stopped working after Windows update. All the fixes rely on the primary...: I update Windows 10. My primary monitor stopped working. I look for solutions, and they all assume that the primary monitor works. E.g. opening Device Manager - well it opens on my primary monitor and I can't see it....
  7. Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Shell 4.4.131 only works on primary monitor: Figured I would move up to Open Shell today, however on my dual monitor setup it only works on the primary monitor and I get the native win10 v1809 start menu on monitor number 2. I'm using Actual Multiple Monitors as well. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm back on Classic...
  8. Game no longer workes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game no longer workes: I bought a new HP laptop loaded my favorite game it played perfect for 6 months. Then one day Windows installed a update said I needed to restart after I restarted my laptop my game would no longer. The game is Heroes Of Might And Magic 3 complete....
  9. Primary Monitor goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary Monitor goes black: I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve...
  10. Primary monitor connected to motherboard but want games on secondary

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor connected to motherboard but want games on secondary: I have two monitors. Due to limitations on the ports my monitors have, my primary monitor is plugged into my motherboard and uses my CPU's integrated graphics. My secondary (smaller) monitor is plugged into my dedicated graphics card. If I start a computer game, it comes up...