Windows 10: Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one

Discus and support Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Z50-70 Laptop, with all the drivers up-to-date (including beta drivers).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by doriandiaconu, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one

I got a Lenovo IdeaPad Z50-70 Laptop, with all the drivers up-to-date (including beta drivers).

http://support.lenovo.com/ro/en/prod...Product%20Info

The laptop features an Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 video card and a NVidia GeForce 840M.

The trick is that everytime I'm playing a game that is a bit older (not recognized by NVidia GeForce Experience, it runs with the Integrated Graphics card). And yes, I've tried to set to run globally with the dedicated card.

:)

doriandiaconu, Sep 1, 2016

2. Getting Black Screen of Death on playing games and videos

What happens when it crashes? Do you get a blue screen? Does the system just shut down? Or does it appear to keep running, but just doesn't output video?

If you're using a dedicated graphics card, and have a processor or chipset with integrated graphics, try removing the graphics card and running games/video off integrated graphics. Obviously gaming performance will be lower, but if the crashes go away, that
    narrows the problem down to the dedicated graphics card and its drivers.

I'd also try tracking graphics card temperatures with one of the many monitoring utilities out there (HWMonitor, GPU-Z), just to make sure it's not getting too hot.

chlamchowder, Sep 1, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Can't play my game I installed DOOm

wglcrearcontextattribsARB - This error sometimes appears when minimum system requirements are not met, and

this game is one of them.

In this case I assume your laptop has only Intel or AMD integrated graphics. If it also has an dedicated graphcis

card, it may not be switching to the dedicated graphics when launching.

If the DOOM you are referring to is the most recent incarnation, it will not run on integrated graphics.

BossDweeb, Sep 1, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one

I believe on dual card laptops , you set the game (any program with 3d needs eg 3D CAD ) via NCP>Manage 3D>Program settings Tab instead of the Global Tab

I don't have one but I think that's what I read ......

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  5. Check your power plan. Power Saver uses Intel HD 4400 while high performance always goes with GeForce 840M. Balance depends on how GPU and CPU heavy a game is.

RoasterMen, Sep 2, 2016
  6. I already set the program settings to that and it didn't seem to work.

Regarding the power plans, I'm using the one optimized for the SSD, so it shouldn't be a problem...

doriandiaconu, Sep 2, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    like this ?

1. Right Click on Desktop
    2. Select nVidia Control Panel
    3. In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
    4. In right panel select Global Tab
    5. Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" and hit APPLY button

Now try again and see if it properly selects correct GPU.?

If not try this

6. Repeat steps 1 thru 3 above
    7. In right panel select "Program Settings" tab
    8. Under section 1., check the box for "only programs on this computer"
    9. then hit the "Add" button and find the program that you want to run on nVidia card
    10 Go down to section 2. and select nVidia processor

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  9. doriandiaconu, Sep 2, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    perhaps you are not choosing the correct EXE file for the game when in the Program Tabs ?

Check the Desktop shortcut or start menu short cut and see what the name / file is that usually starts the game.

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  11. I added both the exe file and the launcher of the game. Same result.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Kbird Win User
    hmmmm , nice Sig *Smile haven't seen that one before.....

it's not a Steam issue or something is it ?

sorry gotta go.....

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  13. Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one

I got the files from GOG so not steam. I don't know what's happening, but I have NVidia 840M, 16GB RAM and SSD and I can't play a game released some years ago in 1080p because it's lagging. lol

Thanks for your help!

14. Kbird Win User
    Don't know GOG , but did you ask on their Forums about the particular game ? I am also on a 3D CAD forum and the fix I talked about earlier has always worked for dual card laptops for that...

KB

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Games running with Integrated Graphics Card instead of Dedicated one - Similar Threads - Games running Integrated

2. Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics: Hi, I use a Dell G15 5510 with an RTX 3060 Laptop and an Intel integrated graphics but when I BeamNG for some reason it uses integrated graphics instead of dedicated. I have changed settings in Windows to make it prefer to use dedicated and also in the nvidia control panel. I...
  3. Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 using integrated graphics instead of dedicated graphics: Hi, I use a Dell G15 5510 with an RTX 3060 Laptop and an Intel integrated graphics but when I BeamNG for some reason it uses integrated graphics instead of dedicated. I have changed settings in Windows to make it prefer to use dedicated and also in the nvidia control panel. I...
  4. UE4 Games Using Basic Display Adapter Instead Of Integrated Graphics Card.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UE4 Games Using Basic Display Adapter Instead Of Integrated Graphics Card.: Hi,I Was Trying To Run Valorant But It Gave Me An Error.DX11 Feature Level 10.0 Is Required To Run The Engine.I Tried Running Other UE4 Games. Some Gave Me The Same Error And Some Gave Me A Different Error And Some Were Working.Some Gave Me "Shader Model 5.0 Is Required To...
  5. System using Integrated Graphics instead of NVIDIA Card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System using Integrated Graphics instead of NVIDIA Card: Hello, When I check Task Manager while running many programs Chrome, Discord, Spotify etc.and connecting to a wireless display. It shows that my Intel integrated graphics Intel Core i5 9th gen is being tasked with handling everything. while my NVIDIA graphics card NVIDIA GTX...
  6. Laptops with a dedicated graphics card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptops with a dedicated graphics card: A friend of mine has just bought a laptop with Windows 10 and a dedicated graphics card. I am attaching a few screenshots below so that I can ask you a few questions.1. In PCs a dedicated graphics card is a totally separate piece of hardware, but what about laptops with a...
  7. Integrated graphics and dedicated graphics working together?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Integrated graphics and dedicated graphics working together?: Hi, hello, stupid question I know but I was wondering whether it is possible to make your integrated CPU graphics and GPU dedicated graphics to work together and maybe get extra performance? Is it possible or is it just stupid? submitted by /u/FatalYT [link] [comments]...
  8. should i keep integrated or use dedicated graphics card for gaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    should i keep integrated or use dedicated graphics card for gaming?: if i install dedicated graphics card would it help better than my integrated graphics card for gaming? is there a way to find out what available dedicated graphics cards could work with my pc and im always looking for confirmation on my integrated graphics cards to look for...
  9. Integrated or Dedicated Graphics card – Which do I need?

in Windows 10 News
    Integrated or Dedicated Graphics card – Which do I need?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]This post aims to assist you in deciding which type of graphics card to use. The difference between Dedicated and Integrated Graphics cards may be small, but using a dedicated graphics card greatly improves real-time graphics experience. You should be [...]...
  10. How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make dedicated GPU card to be preferred instead of Integrated?: Currently, I have to manually add every single performance-sensitive app (eg. Games) to the Grapics options and select "High performance".. If I don't add the app at all or add it but keep the "System default" option then the integrated graphic card is used. I wasn't able...