Windows 10: Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

Discus and support Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I installed a new 4K monitor and Age of Empires went so small I could even read the writing or easily see the buttons. I went into steam and fairly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by elbmek, Feb 4, 2019.

1. elbmek Win User

Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

I installed a new 4K monitor and Age of Empires went so small I could even read the writing or easily see the buttons. I went into steam and fairly quickly got directed to a post that told me to go to launcher.exe and right click and select compatibility and tick the overide DPD and set for 'system'

scroll down for 4K support for AofE

New Monitor - Crap Resolution :: Age of Empires II: HD Edition General Discussions

It worked great.

I now have problem with Silent Hunter 4. So found a file gu.exe; and did same as for the above, it works up to a point, I cant get full screen on lower resolutions though, but have at least managed to get a 'working copy' without the microscopic icons. See my spec for details and resolution.

:)

elbmek, Feb 4, 2019

2. Monitor Resolution reset after system restart

Hi there,

I just bought a new 4k Monitor and added it to my system as primary monitor with my 1080p monitor as secondary. The problem I face everyday is when is start my system, the monitor resolution is reset. Earlier it used to reset my 4K monitor to 1080p and when
    I check settings: Display Settings --> Scale and Layout it say 'A Custom Scale factor is Set'. To resolve it I had to log out and log in. After logging back the resolutions are fine and the Display Settings --> Scale and Layout 'A Custom Scale factor is Set'
    is not 200%. But now from yesterday my resolution of 1080p display is getting changed to 4k on system restart. Again I have to do the above steps mentioned to resolve it. This is really annoying, why does not Windows remember my 2 monitors resolution. It
    would be really helpful if anyone can suggest the solution.

My system details if it helps to find solution:

OS - Windows 10 latest update

Monitor 1 - LG 27UD68-B (set to 4K native)

Monitor 2 - LG E2360V (set to 1080p native)

Graphics Card - Nvidia GTX970

gamer_patri0t, Feb 4, 2019
  3. chofack Win User
    4K Monitor Loses 4K Option

Last night (11 Dec 2015) there was a Windows 10 update (I am running Windows 10 Pro). This morning my 4k monitor (ASUS PB287Q) was showing up as 1080p, and Settings does not recognize that this is a 4K monitor. The 4K resolution simply does not show up as
    an option. Nor does the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForece GT 370) recognize that it is 4K.

Why would Microsoft mess with any of that? I find this really troubling. Do I reinstall a driver for the monitor? They don't have a driver specifically for Windows 10, just Windows 8.

Chas

chofack, Feb 4, 2019
  4. Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

4k monitor choices

That's another key point for me. Some monitors look bad when stepping down a resolution, making video and games quiet blurry. It would suck to need to reduce resolution for performance reasons but suffer noticeably image quality loss.

newconroer, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

1. Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor. - Similar Threads - Gaming Resolution monitor

2. 4k monitor not giong to 4k

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4k monitor not giong to 4k: i just got a 4k monitor for Christmas and on settings there is no option above 1440p. i have plugged the monitor into an Xbox that can run 4k and it worked. So now it seems like an error with m pc however my old monitor was 4k and although a little laggy, it worked. it is...
  3. 4k monitor not giong to 4k

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4k monitor not giong to 4k: i just got a 4k monitor for Christmas and on settings there is no option above 1440p. i have plugged the monitor into an Xbox that can run 4k and it worked. So now it seems like an error with m pc however my old monitor was 4k and although a little laggy, it worked. it is...
  4. game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k: Hi, I connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI cable. Both laptop and external monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080 with 120hz refresh rate on the external monitor. Currently I'm using the external monitor as the main display.The problem is whenever I opened some...
  5. game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    game in fullscreen resolution change to 4k: Hi, I connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI cable. Both laptop and external monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080 with 120hz refresh rate on the external monitor. Currently I'm using the external monitor as the main display.The problem is whenever I opened some...
  6. Monitor resolution changed to 4k@30hz when opening game in fullscreen mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor resolution changed to 4k@30hz when opening game in fullscreen mode: Hi, I connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI cable. Both laptop and external monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080 with 120hz refresh rate on the external monitor. Currently I'm using the external monitor as the main display.The problem is whenever I opened some...
  7. Monitor resolution changed to 4k@30hz when opening game in fullscreen mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor resolution changed to 4k@30hz when opening game in fullscreen mode: Hi, I connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI cable. Both laptop and external monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080 with 120hz refresh rate on the external monitor. Currently I'm using the external monitor as the main display.The problem is whenever I opened some...
  8. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  9. 4k resolution

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    4k resolution: Hi there, I'm upgrading my computer with a new graphics card and monitor to accommodate 4k images and want to know if the daily colourful images that appear on Microsoft Edge and my lock screen that Microsoft put there are going to appear as 4k images? Thank you, Robert....
  10. 4K Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    4K Monitors: Hello all and thank you in advance. Really need some help here. I have a Dell 2 in one laptop running windows 10 with graphics card below. I have two 4k monitors hooked up but the text on them is very blurry but the same stuff when I move it to my laptop screen looks very...