Windows 10: Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor

Discus and support Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I have a bit of a complicated problem. Up until recently, I've been doing good with my Laptop. It has an igpu and a dedicated gpu. I had 2 monitors,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RubiksCuber37, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor

So I have a bit of a complicated problem. Up until recently, I've been doing good with my Laptop. It has an igpu and a dedicated gpu. I had 2 monitors, the one directly connected to my laptop was run by the igpu, and the external was run by the dedicated gpu. I am on vacation, and don't have access to my second monitor, and now, when I try to run a game with my dedicated graphics card, it will try to pull up the game, but close it, since the dedicated gpu is set to my second monitor. How do I change this? My Geforce Experience app isn't working by the way.

:)

RubiksCuber37, Nov 16, 2019

2. When using a usb-c dock, my secondary Nvidia GPU is not being used

Hi all, I recently purchased a Wavlink usb-c dual 4k docking station to use with my Dell XPS 15 9570. However, whenever I use this and close the lid to my laptop, the dedicated GPU stops being used. It defaults to the internal GPU which essentially makes
    all of my games non-playable. I know that my dedicated GPU is working because I can open the lid to my laptop, launch the game on it, and move it over to the external display. This does get tedious and I just want to be able to use my dock and external monitors
    as intended. I have been diving on forums for a while, and Displaylink believes that this is a Microsoft issue based on this thread here.
    I am hoping that Microsoft can see and address this and help me out here.

Thanks

Benjamin Rome, Nov 16, 2019
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Can't get Fortnite (any game) to run on 120fps on laptop. 120hz monitor, 2 GPU laptop.

"both the 120hz monitor and the 60hz laptop screen are using the weaker GPU ( Intel UHD Graphics 620)."

Ah! I missed that both screens are using the Intel UHD gpu. Was thinking you were getting 60 Hz using the Nvidia gpu.

"I get about 140 Fps on low-medium settings."

Same resolution on both monitors as well ? Certainly a whole lot higher frame rate than the review running @ 1280x720.

"...trying to change the Monitor output to the stronger GPU"

- I don't use laptops, and don't know all the ways to force games to run on the dedicated gpu, but I would be inclined to disable the laptop monitor while troubleshooting the problem. This will take it out of the equation, and insure the external monitor
    is identified as monitor #1.

- Are you able to open Nvidia Control Panel when running on the external monitor ?

- Are you using a driver from the mfg of or your laptop ? The driver supplied by the mfg of the machine is generally the most suitable.

- Intel graphics does not support 120 Hz, so if the game is launching on the external monitor using the Intel UHD graphics Windows

will automatically switch the monitors refresh rate down to 59/60 Hz.

When this happens, even if the Nvidia gpu does take control when you sort out why the games are not using it, you will need to

re-set the monitor to 120Hz.

BossDweeb, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Carlo Fer Win User

Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor

About GPU dedicating.

Hello
    웅황,

The feature that you're looking for in Windows 10 is not available. I suggest that you check with your graphics manufacturer if forcing an app/game to use a dedicated GPU to each task is available with their software.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Carlo Fer, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor

1. Gaming Laptop uses dedicated GPU on a non-existent monitor - Similar Threads - Gaming Laptop uses

2. Can't use dedicated GPU for dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use dedicated GPU for dual monitor setup: I have a DELL Precision 5520 notebook with an integrated IntelR HD Graphics 530 GPU and a dedicated Nvidia Quadro M1200 GPU and I have two screens through a DELL WD19S docking station, both screens connected via display port. I'm trying to force my Windows to use the...
  3. Can't use dedicated GPU for dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use dedicated GPU for dual monitor setup: I have a DELL Precision 5520 notebook with an integrated IntelR HD Graphics 530 GPU and a dedicated Nvidia Quadro M1200 GPU and I have two screens through a DELL WD19S docking station, both screens connected via display port. I'm trying to force my Windows to use the...
  4. Can't use dedicated GPU for dual monitor setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Minecraft not using dedicated gpu: I have an Nvidia 3060 ti and an integrated intel graphics card and when I first got my pc it would run minecraft on super high fps easy. I stopped playing and a year later i cant get over 10 fps with shaders and optifine when before I was fine. MC says im using the intel...
  6. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft not using dedicated gpu: I have an Nvidia 3060 ti and an integrated intel graphics card and when I first got my pc it would run minecraft on super high fps easy. I stopped playing and a year later i cant get over 10 fps with shaders and optifine when before I was fine. MC says im using the intel...
  7. Minecraft not using dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU after November update: Since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 1909, I'm having an issue where applications do not use the dedicated Nvidia GPU, despite having set programs to use the high performance GPU on Nvidia Control Panel. I set NVidia GPU as preferred graphics processor on both global and...
  9. Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Games and applications are not using laptop dedicated GPU: Since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 1909, I'm having an issue where applications do not use the dedicated Nvidia GPU , despite having set programs to use the high performance GPU on Nvidia Control Panel. Even if I right click the shortcut or executable and choose to run...
  10. Cant use dedicated gpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant use dedicated gpu: Hello I'm trying to use my dedicated GPU in place of my integrated but after I saw this [ATTACH] I had no clue what to do so I tied...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. using dedicated graphics card attaches to non existent monitor