Windows 10: generic application icons in taskbar

Discus and support generic application icons in taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, just two days ago I did a fresh installation of windows 10 v. 1809 and reinstalled all the applications that I use on a regular basis. I've run in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by tycruickshank, Feb 27, 2019.

1. generic application icons in taskbar

Hi, just two days ago I did a fresh installation of windows 10 v. 1809 and reinstalled all the applications that I use on a regular basis. I've run in to a strange issue where some of the icons in the task bar appear as generic icons as you can see in the screenshot. The icons do appear as they should in the start menu. They do not appear correctly in the "...\Start Menu\Programs" folder. They also do not appear correctly in the program files. In the case below "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe

Premiere Pro CC 2019" you can see Premiere Pro.exe has no icon.

Strangely when I reboot the computer the icons do seem to come back with a caveat, but if Windows Explorer is restarted they disappear again. When I first boot up the machine the icons will be these generic icons, but after 10-30 seconds the taskbar will flicker and the icons will appear. For example, the icons remained throughout the morning today, but then at some point they disappeared. I hadn't restarted explorer.exe.

I'm not sure what I can try at this point. I would prefer not to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 since I had just done this two days ago and don't particularly want to set everything up again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

While I was in the middle of typing this all of the icons decided to reappear again. I'm not sure what is causing it. Also of note is when the icons reappear back in the taskbar they also decide to show up again in their respective program folders and subsequently the ...Start Menu\Programs folder.

generic application icons in taskbar cac4264b-3453-438b-869b-c21194d124c6?upload=true.jpg

generic application icons in taskbar fa608598-98ad-49f8-a5de-554c6992540f?upload=true.jpg

generic application icons in taskbar 6d09c51e-a03e-44d3-8372-1fa110d76cd0?upload=true.jpg

generic application icons in taskbar 17b4fc90-9d81-444c-a1fe-1ad228b6b771?upload=true.jpg

:)

tycruickshank, Feb 27, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 27, 2019
  3. jackin Win User
    How to fix taskbar showing generic blank icons on Windows 7 professional?

How to fix taskbar showing generic blank icons on Windows 7 professional?

generic application icons in taskbar 67d2b65a-a526-42eb-baec-6b5480451d19?upload=true.jpg

These icons correspond to Windows Explorer, IE and Office 365 programs.

Steps i took to resolve issue, but did not help are:

1. In order to fix generic blank icon issue on taskbar i killed explorer.exe and restarted it but this did not resolve issue.
    2. Ran quick repair on Office 365 & restarted Windows.

jackin, Feb 27, 2019
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

generic application icons in taskbar

Problem with a combine taskbar icons.

Hello,

In Windows 10, you can personalize the settings of your taskbar. If there are multiple applications opened, same applications will be combined under one taskbar button. If you want to change this setting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Click on the Settings app.
    • Select Personalization.
    • At the left side of your window, click on Taskbar.
    • Under Combine taskbar buttons, choose Never.

Kindly update us with the results and if you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

generic application icons in taskbar

1. generic application icons in taskbar - Similar Threads - generic application icons

2. Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic: New installation. After synching user's OneDrive, icons pinned to the taskbar are all the same generic default icons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-taskbar-icons-rendering-generic/48c14544-7e51-483f-9695-501dad8a9f5d
  3. Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic: New installation. After synching user's OneDrive, icons pinned to the taskbar are all the same generic default icons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-taskbar-icons-rendering-generic/48c14544-7e51-483f-9695-501dad8a9f5d
  4. Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar: Only 3rd party programs icons are not showing, windows' programs icons are showing correctly.I can't add screenshot because your editor here doesn't work as it should....
  5. Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar

Generic icons for programs pinned to taskbar: Only 3rd party programs icons are not showing, windows' programs icons are showing correctly.I can't add screenshot because your editor here doesn't work as it should....
  6. Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon: Hi there, I've noticed that my Taskbar icons more frequently revert to a generic one, rather than the actual app's icon. Here's what I mean: Seems like only Microsoft product icons are working as intended, even then Visual Studio isn't appearing correctly either. The issue...
  7. Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon

Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon: Hi there, I've noticed that my Taskbar icons more frequently revert to a generic one, rather than the actual app's icon. Here's what I mean: Seems like only Microsoft product icons are working as intended, even then Visual Studio isn't appearing correctly either. The issue...
  8. Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar: I have a new Surface Pro 8 running Windows 11. When I pin a non-Microsoft application such as Google Chrome to the task bar, the correct application icon is not shown, but rather a "generic" icon a blue box inside a white box. The correct application name is displayed when I...
  9. Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar: I have a new Surface Pro 8 running Windows 11. When I pin a non-Microsoft application such as Google Chrome to the task bar, the correct application icon is not shown, but rather a "generic" icon a blue box inside a white box. The correct application name is displayed when I...
  10. Generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Generic icon: [img] Greetings, I have notepad files on the desktop, but the icons for these are generic (the last file in the picture). Someone else had this problem. They were told to delete a file: %localAppData%\IconCache.db I have deleted the file and rebooted but the icons are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar has generic icon

2. windows task bar icons are generic looking

3. generic icons on task bar

4. windows 10 taskbar icons generic