Windows 10: Generic device names in Device Manager

Discus and support Generic device names in Device Manager in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Many of my devices are not listed by their model and only have default Microsoft drivers in Device Manager. My keyboard says "HID Keyboard Device" but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VarokSaurfang, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Generic device names in Device Manager

Many of my devices are not listed by their model and only have default Microsoft drivers in Device Manager. My keyboard says "HID Keyboard Device" but should be Corsair, under Mice and other pointing devices it says "HID-Compliant mouse", but should be Logitech. My firmware says "System Firmware" and not my motherboard or its driver.

Another strange one is my Ethernet network adapter which appears as "Intel (R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V." The "(2)" annoys me for some reason, like something went wrong during installation.

I have the Logitech G Hub installed for my mouse and it's recognized for sure there, but not by Windows. For my Corsair keyboard I don't have the software, just on-board profiles I made on my other computer.

Is this considered normal for a mostly factory copy of Windows 10 Education on my custom PC? Should I be worried? Does this even matter for performance or is it just names for the devices?

submitted by /u/VarokSaurfang
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VarokSaurfang, Sep 23, 2020

2. No hardware listed in Device manager?

I don't konw whathappend but in Device manager and in my Network connections there is nothing where there used to be a Modem listed and all my hardware in Device Manager. What happend and how do I fix this?

Generic device names in Device Manager What%20the%20Crap.jpg

AphexDreamer, Sep 23, 2020
  3. How to figure out the device name for ?s in Device Manager

Do you have big yellow ? in your device manager and have no idea what driver that device needs in order to run properly? Here is what you do:
    -open up the device in question
    -tab over to Details
    -Look at the Device Instance Id, there should be a 4 digit number prior to "&DEV_"
    -take that number and place it in the vender search
    -hit enter and it should reveal the name of the device allowing you to figure out what drivers are needed.

Note:
    Sometimes the name of the device may not be enough information. In some cases the device in question may require you to install your chipset drivers to fix the problem, for example. This is for obvious devices like Sound Cards, video cards, PCI lan cards, and other plug/play devices, etc. This is particularly useful when you reinstall your OS.

Thoughts?

EastCoasthandle, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Generic device names in Device Manager

USB microphone show up under "Other Devices" in the Device Manager

Hi Luke,

We suggest that you update the device driver. You can do that by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select
      it from the list of results.

• Expand the category where your device is located, then right-click on the name of your device, and select Update Driver Software.

• Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If updating the device driver doesn't work, we suggest that you reinstall the driver:

• Open Device Manager.

• Right-click on the name of the device.

• Select Uninstall.

• Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Generic device names in Device Manager

1. Generic device names in Device Manager - Similar Threads - Generic device names

2. Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager: After cloning the C: drive in my Windows 10 computer Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RTX 3080 I installed the new SSD and a new RTX 4090. I then found that the Control Panel utility for setting up touchscreen monitors and the Settings utility for calibrating displays and touchscreens...
  3. Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors incorrectly identified as "Generic Monitors" in Device Manager: After cloning the C: drive in my Windows 10 computer Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RTX 3080 I installed the new SSD and a new RTX 4090. I then found that the Control Panel utility for setting up touchscreen monitors and the Settings utility for calibrating displays and touchscreens...
  4. there is an unknown portable device named "charlie" on my device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    there is an unknown portable device named "charlie" on my device manager: good morning,there is an unknown portable device named "charlie" on my device manager. i right clicked and uninstalled but it reinstalls itself....
  5. there is an unknown portable device named "charlie" on my device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    there is an unknown portable device named "charlie" on my device manager: good morning,there is an unknown portable device named "charlie" on my device manager. i right clicked and uninstalled but it reinstalls itself....
  6. Generic USB Bulk Device does not appear in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Generic USB Bulk Device does not appear in Device Manager: Hello, I am in need of some help regarding a USB device. My problem is that there is a USB device which no longer appears in my device manager. I have used this device on the same PC and same Windows installation before and it worked fine. Now it does not work a Windows...
  7. Generic USB Hub missing from Device Manager

Generic USB Hub missing from Device Manager: Hi, please can someone help with the following? I've attached an external HD to my laptop and although I hear it connecting when I plug it in nothing happens, it does not show on my list of devices on my laptop and when I check the Device Manager I have no Generic USB Hub....
  8. Accidentally Disabled: Generic PNP Monitor in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally Disabled: Generic PNP Monitor in Device Manager: Was trying to see if I can turn off the Generic PNP Monitor while remote desktop to conserve energy due to the screen never turns off even it was set to turn off after one min. Now my screen is black how do I get back the driver to enable it if I don't have it enabled? Should...
  9. Cannot find "Generic Bluetooth adapter" on device manager

Cannot find "Generic Bluetooth adapter" on device manager: Hello, i am trying to install a CSR bluetooth adapter dongle. I installed the product's driver and it didn't work. Upon research on the internet, i found out that by going into device manager, clicking on the CSR driver, clicking "update drivers", then "Browse my computer...
  10. Weird "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device"

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device": So I finally decided to do something about this. There is always a Safely Remove icon on my taskbar, so I click it and there is nothing to remove. In Device manager, it is also present under Disk Drives. Even under my computer there is a disk drive with the letter "D" that...