Windows 10: Generic icons showing instead of pictures

Discus and support Generic icons showing instead of pictures in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GillianLock, May 8, 2020.

1. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture. The correct view options are checked/unchecked and the problem persist on any size icon. Can you help me with this issue?

:)

GillianLock, May 8, 2020

2. Icon showing up instead of pictures or picture sizes

Still having trouble across any of the browser with not showing pictures and icons showing up instead. This has happened since upgrading to Microsoft 10. I first noticed it when trying to crop pictures while using Shutterfly. Because the picture icon
    shows up instead of the picture I cannot crop it. But I have also noticed it showing up in other applications. Picture icon instead of the picture.

Would love to get this resolved.

Thanks,

momschreck, May 8, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead - Need help please

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if that helps.

• Open This PC on Taskbar.
    • Click or Tap on Pictures folder.
    • Click on View.
    • Click or tap on Options and select Change folder and Search options.
    • Click on View and uncheck Always show icons, Never thumbnails.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks

Pavan_N, May 8, 2020
  4. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

How to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in Windows 10

Hello after searching for this answer through numerous posts from years back I finally figured out the solution myself. Here it is:

How to display you picture thumbnails instead of generic icon picture in Windows 10 OS:

1. Open File Explorer (Manila folder icon at bottom on task bar)

2. At the Top Click on 'View"

3. Select Large Icons (so you can see them easier)

4. Click on Pictures from the file path on the left

5. Press Ctrl 'A' to select All

6. At the top Right click the drop down arrow under 'Options' then select "Change folder and search options"

7. Under folder options click the 'View' tab

8. (Be certain that all of your files are Still Highlighted, if not cancel out of the folder options and

Repeat steps 4 - 7

9. Next, under "Advanced Settings" DE-Select the first entry for "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

10. Click "Apply" then OK.

Marlamldapril17, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Generic icons showing instead of pictures

1. Generic icons showing instead of pictures - Similar Threads - Generic icons showing

2. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  3. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  4. Pictures stopped showing the pix & shows same generic icon for each pix.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures stopped showing the pix & shows same generic icon for each pix.: When I fully open each picture, I can see it but would need to open thousands of the generic icons to find the correct picture. Thank you in advance. Example:...
  5. Pictures stopped showing the pix & shows same generic icon for each pix.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pictures stopped showing the pix & shows same generic icon for each pix.: When I fully open each picture, I can see it but would need to open thousands of the generic icons to find the correct picture. Thank you in advance. Example:...
  6. Pictures stopped showing the pix & shows same generic icon for each pix.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. some icons show blank generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    some icons show blank generic icon: i have a problem with my windows 10 desktop (1903 built 18362.952) where the icons will be blanked (see the attachement with the red squares) - how do i reset it? it also appears in file explorer. it does not effect my programs operation however. 149110
  8. picture view instead of Icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    picture view instead of Icon: for some reason when I open a folder with pictures the icon of a blue mountain in a box appears for each picture. If I use the feature of slide show they pics display ok and I can individually click icon to open the picture and that displays ok. And some times the pic will...
  9. How to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to show thumbnail pictures instead of icon in Windows 10: Hello after searching for this answer through numerous posts from years back I finally figured out the solution myself. Here it is: How to display you picture thumbnails instead of generic icon picture in Windows 10 OS: 1. Open File Explorer (Manila folder icon at...
  10. Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons: Hi: Since updating to Windows 10, whenever I open file folders to view jpgs, the files' thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails of the images themselves. How do I get the icons to go back to being thumbnail images again? Is there a command or menu...