Windows 10: Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues

Discus and support Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a virtual printer on Raspberry which is configured as raw. On windows it is defined as a Generic / Text only printer. If I have a simple txt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Roma Kolyago, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues

I have a virtual printer on Raspberry which is configured as raw. On windows it is defined as a Generic / Text only printer. If I have a simple txt file consisting of umlauts ä, ü, ö and when sending to a virtual printer, the data comes in corrupted , , .

When saving the data to a file rather than sending it to the printer, the data in the file is correct. When sending data from linux, everything is fine. I tried to use different Code pages on the printer setup page with no success. When intercepting data through fiddler, it showed that the data was already corrupted in the request. Using another protocol like samba didn't change anything.

Maybe someone has thoughts on what can be done to fix the encoding?

:)

Roma Kolyago, Sep 8, 2020
  2. SamuelLV Win User

'Generic PnP monitor' issue

Hello Angelica,

I would suggest you follow steps to update the monitor driver:

Press Windows + X keys

Choose Device manager

Click on Monitors

Right click on ‘Generic PnP monitor’ and click on update driver

Tap on Browse my computer for driver software

Tap on Let me pick from a list of available drivers

Choose ‘Generic PnP monitor’ and tap on Next

When you are done please restart the computer.

SamuelLV, Sep 8, 2020
  3. kevvyb Win User
    Storing Bitlocker key files in KeePass - text file encoding

Have tested the text files (.bek keys) that were attached to KeePass enoded with Unicode-8 (the default that KeePass offers when attaching a text file). These files transferred to a USB worked to decrypt the BitLocker encrypted drive.

I did not test any of the other text file encoders in the KeePass list.

kevvyb, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues

Encoding text

Hi,

Regarding your encoding concern, if we are to compare .docs from
    .txt file, Office file has a wide range of text formatting that's why word file with Czech text can be kept on it's original form. However for
    .txt files it's necessary to save them on a UTF or
    RTF format in order to encode and view the text properly.

Send us an update if you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues

1. Generic/Text only Driver encoding issues - Similar Threads - Generic Text Driver

2. generic/text only printer driver for windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    generic/text only printer driver for windows 11: This is another familiar and useful Windows feature that's missing in Windows 11. Please can anyone relate how to install it?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generictext-only-printer-driver-for-windows-11/84dd73f9-00f3-4331-8bd7-3d017c4e3bc2
  3. generic/text only printer driver for windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    generic/text only printer driver for windows 11: This is another familiar and useful Windows feature that's missing in Windows 11. Please can anyone relate how to install it?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generictext-only-printer-driver-for-windows-11/84dd73f9-00f3-4331-8bd7-3d017c4e3bc2
  4. Is it possible to print "åäö" characters from Generic \Text Only driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to print "åäö" characters from Generic \Text Only driver?: I am trying to print from Generic \ Text Only driver with "åäö" characters. The print is successful but the "åäö" characters are not visible, nor are they replaced by another character.Actual text: IntersöåähippingPrinted text: Intershipping...
  5. Is it possible to print "åäö" characters from Generic \Text Only driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to print "åäö" characters from Generic \Text Only driver?: I am trying to print from Generic \ Text Only driver with "åäö" characters. The print is successful but the "åäö" characters are not visible, nor are they replaced by another character.Actual text: IntersöåähippingPrinted text: Intershipping...
  6. Is it possible to print "åäö" characters from Generic \Text Only driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Generic / Text only Driver

Generic / Text only Driver: I have a virtual printer on Raspberry which is configured as raw. On windows it is defined as a Generic / Text only printer. If I have a simple txt file consisting of umlauts ä, ü, ö and when sending to a virtual printer, the data comes in corrupted , , . When saving the...
  8. Generic / Text only Driver

Generic / Text only Driver: Good Day, How do i get the Generic / Text Only driver to work in windows 10? Regards Dexter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-text-only-driver/14f4a56a-a108-41ae-b50a-41a446e5e99f
  9. generic text driver

generic text driver: How to get the latest generic test only driver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-text-driver/3c89a6bc-cd75-4420-922a-2d5cc0f2c9e6
  10. Install Printer using Generic / Text Only

Install Printer using Generic / Text Only: We have receipt printers which connect via parallel port. We are changing to newer printers which connect via USB port. Because of an important application (from our Application Service Provider), the receipt printer needs to use the Generic / Text Only driver (which also...